December 19, 2012

The Reliable Source Live

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, December 19, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Hello everyone, and welcome to the final Reliable Source web chat of 2012. Some stories on our radar lately:

Rich people are very different from you and me, and so are their divorces: Witness the settlement between Bill and Karyn Frist.

London Fletcher learns you can’t go home again.

Marco Rubio still has more hair than most senators, nyah, nyah.

Terrell Suggs and his girlfriend get over that whole protection-order thing by getting hitched.

Guess who decorates the Taft Bridge lions? Hint: not the city. Update: It's maybe not all that legal but you probably won't get arrested for it.

How many people can the Romneys fit into their Christmas card?

Also: Nate Silver, “ethnically straight.” Gerard Depardieu bids an angry adieu to France. The fascinating obituary of a guy who barely survived his affair with Marilyn Monroe. And no one wants your love letters, Charlie Brown!

But most importantly: Make your predictions for Reliable Source Person of the Year now!

Looking forward to your questions. It's been a great year.

Is that the Duggars?

The Romney christmas card had me do a double take.
Amy Argetsinger :

I can't stop staring at the Romney Christmas card, trying to figure out the complex dress-code that ensures they're coordinating without being matchy-matchy. It's a great photo. But really, that's not such a big crowd. My extended family routinely had Christmas photos that big, until we all got too cranky to pose together.

– December 19, 2012 12:03 PM

Downtown

So do we know what Beyonce calls her husband - JayZ or Shawn?
Amy Argetsinger :

I bet she calls him "Jay." But honestly, I'm not generally there to hear. He's referred to her as "BK" in some songs.

– December 19, 2012 12:04 PM

Hilaria Baldwin

How do you pronounce - Hila-REE-a or Hil-AIR-ia?
Amy Argetsinger :

I believe it's something like ee-LA-REE-ah. Whatever it is, it's not what you think it's going to be.

– December 19, 2012 12:06 PM

Will ZERO DARK THIRTY & Jessica Chastain make it even more "cool" to be CIA operatives?

Will Jessica Chastain be a Oscar shoo-in due to the simultaneous popularity of CIA "insider" Carrie on the hit TV series HOMELAND?
Amy Argetsinger :

Ha. I think it's just a zeitgeisty thing that we have both a TV and movie drama centered on a young, tightly-wound female CIA analyst. But what a fascinating character, the one who inspired Chastain's character, "Maya" (no, not her real name. You read the A1 story last week about her? Fascinating.

Chastain, who is coming off a string of movies over the past year that have made her a critics' favorite, is indeed a serious contender for best actress; Jennifer Lawrence (for "Silver Linings Playbook") is also in that conversation, with a lot of growing buzz for Naomi Watts in that tsunami movie whose trailers are kind of upsetting, "The Impossible."

– December 19, 2012 12:10 PM

Most fascinating people and people of the year

B. Walters named Genl. Petraeus as the most fascinating person of 2012 (it should be noted Honey Boo Boo was also on her list, so what BW regards as "fascinating" is open to debate). Obama was named by "Time" as man of the year (meaning most newsworthy, for better or worse, not honored as the best person, despite what some people say each yer). Who was on your list?
Roxanne Roberts :

Stayed tuned for Friday's Column, when we name our Reliable Source Person of the Year.

– December 19, 2012 12:11 PM

Reliable Source person of the year

How can it NOT be Paula Broadwell?
Amy Argetsinger :

Hmmm, I don't know. Make a case for her. We're all ears.

– December 19, 2012 12:11 PM

Decorated Lions

I live near the bridge over Piney Branch Parkway on 16th St NW. Those lions always have a wreath around their neck this year with a jaunty red ribbon. Do you know who puts up those decorations?
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, you got decorated lions up there too? No idea. I sort of assumed someone would step forward to take credit for decorating the lions on the north end of the Taft Bridge, but not a word thus far.

– December 19, 2012 12:13 PM

Person of the Year

Can I nominate Amy for Person of the Year?
Amy Argetsinger :

You are so sweet, but really, my 2012 has not been terribly interesting (that you know of).

– December 19, 2012 12:14 PM

In what universe?

In what universe is Paula Broadwell not charged for sending threatening emails to Jill Kelley? Goodness knows I'm no fan of Kelley's, but this is a miscarriage of justice, methinks. Did Petraeus call in some favors?
Roxanne Roberts :

Could be -- or the laws between states or covering cyber-stalking may be written in such a way that Broadwell wasthreatening but not in a criminal way. We just don't know. Crazy, yeah, but maybe not against the law.

– December 19, 2012 12:14 PM

Reliable Source Person of the Year

Joe Biden. He does it all, from campaigning to heading up groups for the President to landscaping!

Thanks for your vote.

– December 19, 2012 12:15 PM

Reliable Source person of the year

Carl Kassel. Just because.
Roxanne Roberts :

Because he's awesome. I adore Carl.

– December 19, 2012 12:16 PM

Bill Clinton bio

I probably won't watch. A colorful, occassionally rogue life like his can't be captured properly by his buddies. Are they really going to get into the juicy details, accusations, allegations?
Amy Argetsinger :

Hmmm, good question. I don't think Scorsese veered very far from hagiography with Dylan or George Harrison. (Chatter is referring to Martin  Scorsese's upcoming documentary on Bill Clinton.)

– December 19, 2012 12:16 PM

Following the chat on Amtrak's Crescent

Most of the time my smart phone is too smart for me, but last week I followed the chat on my phone while taking the Crescent home from New Orleans. I felt so hip!
Roxanne Roberts :

You are SO hip. I'm amazed you could do that --- I can barely find the column on my phone.

– December 19, 2012 12:17 PM

Paula Broadwell

Relatively high-profile in her own right, brings down the leader of the CIA and one of the most high-profile members of the military in a generation, does so because she's a whack job who, despite being a member of an illicit relationship, has the temerity to tell ANOTHER woman to back off. That's some good stuff there - never mind the other weird details. And, Washington connection!
Roxanne Roberts :

My hope is that we never hear of Paula again.

– December 19, 2012 12:18 PM

Person of the year

Didn't you used to do this as a sweet-sixteen sort of thing?
Roxanne Roberts :

That's in the spring -- the Gossip Bracket, our version of March Madness. Look for it in three months.

– December 19, 2012 12:19 PM

Aloha, Senator Inouye

There are some lovely vignettes about war-hero-turned-politician Daniel Inouye on the Post's comments section for his obituary, including how he befriended people so readily. Be sure to check them out.

Will do. Thanks.

– December 19, 2012 12:20 PM

Woodbridge

Cameron Douglas, Michael's son, has been beaten up in prison, getting a broken leg for being a snitch. If I'm not mistaken, he is also being punished for smuggling contraband in, with no family visits for 2 years. At this rate, he won't be getting out early for good behavior.
Amy Argetsinger :

Reportedly, anyway. His case is up on appeal, which may have been the reason for leaking a sympathy-provoking story. That whole situation is such a mess.

– December 19, 2012 12:21 PM

In the spirit of the season . . .

Could you possibly, at least for a week or two, not post mean-spirited posts like the first one nastily comparing the Romneys to the Duggars? For at least a few weeks a year, give the partisan nastiness a rest, OK?
Roxanne Roberts :

Stand down---no partisanship intended. It's  just the sheer size of the family; lots of folks from both side of the aisle noticed.

– December 19, 2012 12:22 PM

Reliable Source person of the year

Does it HAVE to be a human? Because I'd like to nominate Bo Obama, Presidential confidant and goodwill ambassador for Portuguese-American friendship.
Roxanne Roberts :

Bo has learned to type, people. That's one smart dog.

– December 19, 2012 12:23 PM

Clinton

Yeah - but isn't it getting produced/funded by Steve Bing? Who is one of his BFF, and an accused co-conspirator in some of Clinton's alleged tawdry behavior. I assume to remember a particularly amusing little story about what (unprintable) name they call Bing's private plane.
Amy Argetsinger :

Another reason to not expect a warts-and-all treatment. Here's Lisa's full story.

HBO, Martin Scorsese collaborate on Bill Clinton doc

– December 19, 2012 12:23 PM

Taft Bridge

Thanks for the link to the article about the lions! I was wondering about the decorations myself, but more importantly, I live right by that bridge and have been too oblivious for the last 5 years to notice that the bridge had a name...
– December 19, 2012 12:24 PM

RSPOY

Who were some previous Reliable Source Persons of the Year?
Amy Argetsinger :

Glad you asked! Here we've got a little photo gallery that will remind you of our past Reliable Source Persons of the Year, as well as runners-up. Last year it was Anthony Weiner, the year before it was Elizabeth Edwards.

– December 19, 2012 12:26 PM

person of the year

Hillary Clinton
Amy Argetsinger :

Thanks for your vote. I sort of thought she might be Time's Person of the Year, but it's Obama, again.

– December 19, 2012 12:26 PM

"Amy Argetsinger : You are so sweet, but really, my 2012 has not been terribly interesting"

You've still got 12 days left in 2012, Amy!

The pressure is on.

– December 19, 2012 12:27 PM

Paula Broadwell

Is Paula Broadwell ever employable again, short of posing for a centerfold?
Roxanne Roberts :

Paula is a highly educated woman and  should be able to hold a private-sector job using some of her skills. I'd advise staying away from anything related to the military.

– December 19, 2012 12:27 PM

Bifurcated Divoce and Secret Dockets

Having read the "Secret Dockets" and "Bifurcated Divorce" section at www.familylawcourts.com I have two questions. 1. Why doesn't mainstream media have a beat reporter in family courts as they do civil and criminal courts; and, 2. What might be done to insure both zealous representation, and finding a fair and unbiased judge? (Read the "Recuse" section too.) Thanks.
Amy Argetsinger :

1. I assume there are a lot of privacy issues keeping reporters out of family court on a regular basis; not to mention a lot of stories that have a lot of depressing sameness.

2. Maybe you're looking for a different Web chat? Good luck with your case.

– December 19, 2012 12:29 PM

Ringing Hillary's bell

Did Hillary Clinton REALLY suffer a concussion? Or was she just trying to get out of testifying before Congress this week?
Roxanne Roberts :

I don't have any reason to doubt her because she has no history of faking illness to avoid congressional hearings. The right is having a field day with this, but sometimes things just happen.

– December 19, 2012 12:29 PM

Probably not the overall winner

but shouldn't an honorable mention go to Rielle Hunter for writing that book? The deep-seated naraccism crossed with complete obliviousness beyond the pale!
Roxanne Roberts :

We'll throw her name in the basket.

– December 19, 2012 12:30 PM

"currently online"

When did they start showing us that number? Is it on all the chats?
Amy Argetsinger :

Wait, where do you see that? I happened to notice that for the first time on someone else's chat . . . but now that I look on ours, I don't see it.

– December 19, 2012 12:30 PM

no fair. now I want to know....
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, I have no idea. A brisk Google search didn't help either. Let's just forget it.

– December 19, 2012 12:31 PM

Speaking of Bo...

Bo and his mistress recently read to children at the Children’s National Medical Center: http://theobamadiary.com/2012/12/15/cherish-the-children
Roxanne Roberts :

Hahahaha! Because I've been writing about Paula Broadwell, for a second I thought you meant Bo had a girlfriend.

– December 19, 2012 12:31 PM

Person of the Year

Davey Johnson! But if we name Adam LaRoche, maybe he'll sign the contract we're offering him.
Amy Argetsinger :

Thanks for your vote . . . don't you think Bryce Harper might be a more compelling pick?

– December 19, 2012 12:31 PM

Person of the Year equation

Why not do a search and see whose name comes up the most in Reliable Source articles, and that is likely your person of the year.
Amy Argetsinger :

Hmmm, yeah, that's a factor, but I think there are certain ineffable intangibles in play.

– December 19, 2012 12:32 PM

Person of the Year

My suggestions would be Michelle Obama, Channing Tatum, Bryce Harper or wait for it.......Kyle Shanahan. Everybody likes a good comeback story!
Amy Argetsinger :

Thanks for your votes! Channing Tatum, what is the deal with that guy and why is everyone Googling on him? For those of you who care, though, I hope you appreciate our enterprise reporting determining that he will be the first Sexiest Man Alive to have a child during his reign since Damon in '08.

– December 19, 2012 12:35 PM

Frist settlement - bad link

The link takes me to an article from September.

Sigh. Will fix. Here's the new story: Bill and Karyn Frist settle divorce

– December 19, 2012 12:36 PM

Taft Bridge

How did it get that name? Was it built with extra reinforcement so it would hold up when William Howard Taft walked across it?

Ha ha.

The bridge was built during Teddy Roosevelt's administration, actually, but named for President William Howard Taft in 1931.

– December 19, 2012 12:38 PM

Liberace

Was this some weird dream I'm remembering or is there a biopic of Liberace being made starring Michael Douglas as Liberace? I'm having a hard time picturing that.
Amy Argetsinger :

That was not a dream. Unless you're still dreaming now?

– December 19, 2012 12:40 PM

Person of the Year

Sorry, the Metro section beat you to it with their story on Fisher Yang. I have seen that guy on the Metro dozens of times and he is awesome -- particularly his indifference to people rolling their eyes as he loudly sings. Not just RS Person of the Year, but Time magazine too (is that still a think?)
Amy Argetsinger :

Fantastic story on the pastor who sings carols in the Metro. Please read it. There's video, too! The best part about it is that he's not a very good singer.

– December 19, 2012 12:43 PM

why?

Hi Roxanne. Why do hope to never hear of paula again? Cuz she is an innocent victim or cuz she is an attention hog? She's dangerous? I'm curious to know why you wrote that. love the chat. thanks!
Roxanne Roberts :

Because I honestly hope she goes on to live a quiet, happy life with her husband and kids. She became famous for all the wrong reason --- due to seriously poor choices on her part --- and is unlikely to be in the headlines again for any positivee reason. So I hope she just fades away.

– December 19, 2012 12:44 PM

Currently online

Is int he Submit Your Question bar at the top. At the moment Total Responses: 37 Currently Online: 212
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, crazy. I swear that wasn't there just a second ago. Hey, if there are 212 of you online at the moment, that means we have a higher percentage of lurkers than I ever realized. Speak up! Come on in, the water's fine!

– December 19, 2012 12:44 PM

Person of the Year

Don't forget me!
Amy Argetsinger :

You were already Person of the Year back in 2006. Don't you remember?

– December 19, 2012 12:45 PM

Fiscal Cliff

Either of you know what the latest date ahead of the holiday that a recent Congress with "issues" hung around before heading home for Christmas?
– December 19, 2012 12:46 PM

Undefined?

Amy, why are you undefined? At the top of the gray box at the top the chat, it says "Amy Argetsinger undefined." Are you having an existential crisis? Or are you caught in a rip in the time-space continuum and exist in multiple dimensions?
Amy Argetsinger :

What? That's hilarious. Is that also new, or has that been there for years and no one bothered to mention it to me?

– December 19, 2012 12:46 PM

RSPOY

Nate Silver, for calling the election so accurately.
Roxanne Roberts :

That is awesome politics and number crunching --not awesome gossip.

– December 19, 2012 12:47 PM

Fantastic story on the pastor who sings carols in the Metro

I'm guessing that Weingarten didn't write that article, right?
Amy Argetsinger :

No, that was a Dana Hedgpeth story, and quite a good one. If you're looking for an excellent new Weingarten piece, check out his magazine story about the prosecutor who has spent 33 years keeping "Green Beret Killer" Jeffrey MacDonald behind bars.

– December 19, 2012 12:48 PM

Christmas Music

There was a pretty cool singer in the 70s named Rod Stewart, who had some giant hits, "Young Turks," "Hot Legs," "Maggie May." Now there is a singer with the same name who just released a god-awful album of holiday classics with a large band, like he is trying to be Frank Sinatra. Are these two performers with the same name related?

Amy Argetsinger :

Stop teasing me. I will remain loyal to Rod Stewart for all the years of happiness he gave me, even though he persists in testing me these days.

– December 19, 2012 12:49 PM

Christmas

My mother keeps asking what she can get me for Christmas. I need nothing. What is can I say to her to get her to stop asking?
Roxanne Roberts :

Don't be so bah-humbug. Let her ask ---she wants to give you something nice. Tell her to buy tickets for a concert, play, movie or take you to dinner at a nice restaurant. Nice experience together, and nothing to clutter the closet.

– December 19, 2012 12:49 PM

Currently online

Hey, MY Submit Your Question bar only lists Total Responses: 40, not the number Currently Online. I wuz robbed!
Amy Argetsinger :

Don't ask me. I'm undefined.

– December 19, 2012 12:50 PM

Realible Source Person of the Year

Grumpy Cat. Brave enough to look how we all feel.
Roxanne Roberts :

Grumpy Cat can't help how he looks, so it isn't really fair to label him as a grump.

– December 19, 2012 12:51 PM

I never noticed that..

currently online number.. its now 242.. holy cow, there goes the bandwidth..
Amy Argetsinger :

Bar the door! I think the wheels come off at 300.

– December 19, 2012 12:51 PM

242 people online

It is a couple days before the holiday really kicks in. Very few people at offices being productive. So what better way to spend time in the office than to be on the chat?
Amy Argetsinger :

Hey, that's 255 now. Who told their friends they could show up?

– December 19, 2012 12:51 PM

RSPOTY

Tom Seitsema.
Amy Argetsinger :

Not until you learn how to spell his name.

– December 19, 2012 12:52 PM

Jill Kelley for Person of the Year

Jill Kelley should get the nod, for bringing down both Paula Broadwell and David Petraeus, as well as bringing closer scrutiny to the friends-of-the-Army program, and honorary consulships.
Roxanne Roberts :

I'd like to see her and Rielle Hunter in a cage match.

– December 19, 2012 12:52 PM

To follow up from last week

Lindsey Lohan: In jail or not in jail?

Amy Argetsinger :

Has someone laid claim to www.islohaninjail.com yet? You know, you could just go to the Web site every day, and it would either say "No" or "Yes." Make everyone's job a lot easier.

– December 19, 2012 12:53 PM

person of the year

What about Newt Gingrich? He was a Republican primary nominee, and has managed to keep his name in circulation since. Not much of it gossipy though.
Amy Argetsinger :

I think we cited him last year as an Honorable Mention for managing to show up in D.C. fine-dining establishments on a regular basis despite ostensibly running for president. Yes, in fact, we did.

– December 19, 2012 12:54 PM

Dan Savage

Meant to comment on this last week. I think its hysterical that someone who encourages, neigh relishes, every American to explore their inner deviant, is himself so.... domestic! Mazel Tov to him though - he really has been at the forefront of a lot of movement on gay rights/acceptance.
Amy Argetsinger :

Kind of surprising, isn't it?

– December 19, 2012 12:54 PM

currently online

I like it, gives a sense of how many of us are here together sort of.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, except that now I'm realizing I didn't buy enough beer.

– December 19, 2012 12:55 PM

Ringing Hillary's Bell Redux

"I don't have any reason to doubt her because she has no history of faking illness to avoid congressional hearings." Well, until now, Secretary Clinton was not being seriously mentioned in connection with running for President in 2016. She seems to be doing a good job keeping her fingerprints off of Benghazi, aided by sympathetic journos.
Roxanne Roberts :

Jeesh. Not everything is a conspiracy theory: Sometimes people, even famous people, get sick. By that thinking, the Pertraeus scandal broke so he wouldn't have to testify as an administration official. I always get testy when, as a journalist for more thasn two decades, I get accused of partisan coverups without any evidence to back up those claims.

– December 19, 2012 12:56 PM

Contrast Rielle and Paula

I had hopes never hearing Rielle Hunter name mentioned again. There is one person who should slip away into oblivion quietly. Paula Broadwell, at least so far she has not exploited her failings for fame.
Amy Argetsinger :

We said the same about Rielle Hunter for two years and then, boom -- she's in GQ. And then wrote a book.

– December 19, 2012 12:57 PM

Fisher Yang

Amy is right -- the best part about him is that he is an awful singer. Not pleasant to hear, but he is totally committed to it and just owns the room.
Amy Argetsinger :

Honestly, Rod Stewart should take him on tour.

– December 19, 2012 12:57 PM

Taft Bridge

Maybe it was named for Chief Justice William Howard Taft.

Same guy!

– December 19, 2012 12:58 PM

Joe Biden

Got to give him another vote for Person of the Year. Just for the fun facial expressions, spirited vp debate, and Costo shopping spree. Good times!
Roxanne Roberts :

I keep saying I love Joe.

– December 19, 2012 12:58 PM

person of the year

Abraham Lincoln (DDL). Still making news 150 plus years after his death. Who knew he was so personable?
Roxanne Roberts :

Wonder if he was, in fact, personable. Smart, moody, depressed....

– December 19, 2012 1:01 PM

washington DC

happy holidays, how does Lisa P Jackson get up for these good jobs like Princeton? she openly speculated about her replacement at a recent ELI event where she asked everyone who wanted her job to raise their hands, calling out former Clinton CEQ guru Brad Campbell, who had replaced her in New Jersey.
Amy Argetsinger :

Al Kamen has been keeping track of her career trajectory, including that recent incident and the latest speculation about her next step, possibly to Princeton.

– December 19, 2012 1:01 PM

person of the year

Donald Trump-amazing how he always gets back in the news, even when he has nothing interesting or new to say. Think its the hair.
Amy Argetsinger :

It has magical properties, his hair . . . How about his legal victory over Miss Pennsylvania?

– December 19, 2012 1:02 PM

Yeah, except that now I'm realizing I didn't buy enough beer.

..you are going to need snacks too..possibly wine..
Amy Argetsinger :

And now, suddenly, the "currently online" meter has vanished, as mysteriously as it appeared. Clearly, they don't want us to know.

– December 19, 2012 1:03 PM

"sometimes things just happen"

But it's interesting that Clinton *and* Petraeus are both not able to testify.
Roxanne Roberts :

Actually, Petraeus DID testify behind closed doors because of the classified nature of most of the information. Probably would have been the case for Clinton as well, and a concussion doesn't prevent her from testifying at a later date.  So maybe not that much there there, but good for cable pundits to kill two hours.

– December 19, 2012 1:03 PM

Olivia Pope

I have to give her a vote for person of the year because she has managed to get hired to a high profile Washington case on tv and in real life. Also, Scandal is getting better!
Amy Argetsinger :

When you say "Scandal is getting better" you mean  "Scandal is getting worse," right? That show is bonkers. Can't stop watching.

– December 19, 2012 1:03 PM

"History of faking illnesses"

Maybe not, though she does have a history of prevarication- at the very least, a selective memory. Running from Bosnian Serb snipers, anyone?

Yeah, that was stupid.

– December 19, 2012 1:03 PM

Channing Tatum

He's the Fifty Shades of Gray of actors.
Amy Argetsinger :

I thought he was the mozzarella of actors. Bland but tasty, goes with everything.

– December 19, 2012 1:04 PM

POTY

Because sex and politics should be the main criteria in determining the POTY, I nominate Herman Cain - candidate for the GOP nomination, alleged sexual harasser. Sex and

Herman Cain was so 2011.

– December 19, 2012 1:04 PM

Person of the Year: RGIII?

I know there is no scandal afoot, but darn he has done wonders for this town.He is one thing everyone can agree on. I even think he should be down there on the hill in those Fiscal Cliff conversations. So likeable.
Amy Argetsinger :

We promise to consider him.

– December 19, 2012 1:04 PM

Taft Bridge

This makes me wonder, about how many times a week/month/year do you hear references around DC to former presidents from past generations? Like Taft? Or James K. Polk? In my family, we talk about Chester Arthur once in awhile, but that's because my wife is related to him.
Amy Argetsinger :

WHY AREN'T YOU SHARING YOUR CHESTER ARTHUR GOSSIP WITH US?!?!?

– December 19, 2012 1:05 PM

Joe Biden

You know, he's actually quite handsome, even at 70. And you should've seen that high school graduation photo of him that was circulating during the election campaign -- WOW!

Joe, is that you again?

– December 19, 2012 1:05 PM

Covering Divorces

I don't know if you were aware, but you have been criticized for your snarky coverage of Track Palin's divorce, as compared to your more reverential coverage of Karenna Gore's divorce.  Care to respond (other than they're a right-wing site)?

Amy Argetsinger :

Not really. I mean, you know how often we get accused of bias? Like EVERY DAY. And sometimes we're accused of being biased to the right, and sometimes to the left -- and meanwhile, I completely respect the desperate needs of the growing Bias Hunting Industry to find something to fill their blogs.

– December 19, 2012 1:08 PM

The counter is now at 299

I feel like we're on the verge of something momentous!
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh lord, really? Why are they hiding that information from me? I should probably just run away from the computer and duck for cover.

– December 19, 2012 1:12 PM

Hillary -- not the most truthful person in Washington

I think that you are forgetting a lot of shenanigans involving Hillary Clinton from her First Lady days, such as the documents from the Rose Law Firm that was mysteriously "lost" and then magically reappeared on a chair in her office. Some of us are much more skeptical than you are about her ability to slither away from trouble. That's history, not a conspiracy theory.
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm exhausted just thinking about the next four years without rehashing the last 20. But it is all fair game if she runs for president again.

– December 19, 2012 1:14 PM

You know, he's actually quite handsome, even at 70.

Yeah, but he really needs to have that stupid little duck-tail of hair at the back of his neck trimmed off.

Joe, you seeing this?

– December 19, 2012 1:14 PM

Favorite Lincoln Facebook post

"Lincoln is doing well in theaters. Historically, this has not been the case."
Roxanne Roberts :

I hate myself that I like this.

– December 19, 2012 1:15 PM

big counter jump

Now it's up to 340! Must be all those people starting their lunch hours in the Central time zone joining in. You're huge in Chicago!
Amy Argetsinger :

I think this is a sign we should wrap up . . . .

– December 19, 2012 1:16 PM

"not a very good singer"

Methinks you are too genteel. That had me on the floor.
Roxanne Roberts :

Tis the season to be nice.

– December 19, 2012 1:23 PM

This is why she won't run. She isn't even staying for Obama's second term. She's said a number of times that she's tired of traveling all over the world.
Roxanne Roberts :

I wouldn't put money on that yet. Amazing what a year of resting might do.

– December 19, 2012 1:24 PM

big counter jump

Shouldn't you stay online chatting as long as the counter number is rising?
Roxanne Roberts :

There is that thing we call a column to write. :)

– December 19, 2012 1:24 PM

This chat makes me sad

What a gleeful, fun conversation we are all having from our boring offices ... this should be in person. If we all got together, wouldn't we all learn how to get along. Merry Christmas.
Roxanne Roberts :

That's very sweet. World Peace via Reliable Source. Thanks.

– December 19, 2012 1:25 PM

Christmas Card

Any ides where I can find myself a few dozen sea green polo shirts for my family?
Roxanne Roberts :

Too late for sea green coordinated Christmas cards! You're lucky to squeeze off one shot where everyone looks decent. I vote  for matching Wizards jerseys or hats ---bet you can buy those anywhere for a song and then everyone can look sad or embarrassed.

Chatters! Happy Christmas, Happy New Year, etc. We'll be off next Wednesday but back on Jan. 2. As always, send your tips, sightings and thoughts to reliablesource@washpost.com. And give your loved ones a hug from Reliable Source.

– December 19, 2012 1:25 PM