October 3, 2012

The Reliable Source Live

Washington Post columnist Amy Argetsinger was online Wednesday, October 3, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Hello everyone and welcome back to the weekly web chat. Here's what's been on our radar lately:

A lowly Capitol Hill aide learns some important lessons during a night out with Lindsay Lohan.

Did Arnold Schwarzenegger write his memoir just to win Maria back?

Donald Trump completes his empire in Charlottesville.

Stop us if you’ve heard this one before: The candidate’s recycled campaign jokes of 2012.

Sooooo, Chris Cooley — dating anyone?

Ethel Kennedy rather likes her daughter’s Ethel Kennedy documentary.

Also: What is up with celebrities and their twee, atlas-inspired baby names? That saucy Rupert Everett! Ryan Lochte, sigh.

And probably some other stuff that's eluding me at the moment. You tell me! Looking forward to your questions.

Woodbridge

I watched Ahnold on 60 Minutes. I don't know why Maria didn't leave him earlier, since he apparently does everything behind her back. What a manipulative jerk.
Amy Argetsinger :

You know, I still haven't gotten around to watching the "60 Minutes" segment. Worthwhile? Guess I'm just a little overdosed on him this week. But here's the question -- do you think they'll get back together? He clearly wants to.

– October 03, 2012 12:03 PM

Punditry

What's up with Tucker Carlson lately? He seems to be going Cuckoo for CocoPuffs over this 5 year old video of Obama addressing a crowd in New Orleans. He seems to claim that it was unreleased, but he actually reported on it back then! Fell in the rabbit hole or what? He was once a very rational and sound thinker.
Amy Argetsinger :

I didn't follow anything Carlson or the Daily Caller were saying about this, but it was amusing to see the little bubble of hype last night, as Drudge, etc.,  trumpeted some supposedly newly emerging video that was going to be a game-changer -- and then the deflation as everyone realized, oh wait, you mean that speech we all covered four years ago? Mwa-MWAH!

– October 03, 2012 12:07 PM

Nationals' Winter Weddings

I'm still waiting for my updates!
Amy Argetsinger :

Please. Let's finish the postseason first, okay? There's a time for everything.

– October 03, 2012 12:07 PM

do you think they'll get back together? (Ahnold) clearly wants to

Run, Maria, run!!!
Roxanne Roberts :

You know, they genuinely loved each other and I think he really is sorry about the affair. SO....maybe she's happier with him than not. Just sayin'.

– October 03, 2012 12:10 PM

Donald Trump

Has there been any resolution as to what rodent is on Trump's head?
Roxanne Roberts :

Why are you hating on Trump's blowover? It's not like you have to run your fingers through it. In a cranky mood, or just don't like The Donald?

– October 03, 2012 12:11 PM

Caroline Kennedy

That poor woman suffered through an interview with Gayle King, who asked about Maria and Arnold. When Gayle asked if she had any thoughts about Arnold's book, she simply said, "no." Why can't more interviewees just say no when it comes to nosy and stupid questions?
Amy Argetsinger :

How many times do I have to defend clown questions, bro? I haven't seen the interview, so maybe it was terrible, but too often I see interviews of the kind you apparently like -- where the unctuous interviewer does nothing more than make polite cocktail party chitchat with the subject, and gets nothing but banal chitchat responses in return. If you're doing your job as a journalist, then you're by necessity asking questions that would be deemed socially awkward in a different setting. If you were impressed and entertained by Caroline Kennedy's response -- well, give some credit to King for asking the question.

– October 03, 2012 12:12 PM

Chris Cooley

I thought he was still married to the Redskins cheerleader?
– October 03, 2012 12:15 PM

Nats games

Based on the "Nats Fans Rule the World" slideshow, I'd guess that a Nats game can offer some pretty good celeb/politico spotting opportunities. Do you chat with the Nats beat writers to compare notes on which powerful fans were at the games and who they were talking to?
Amy Argetsinger :

Don't think the Nats beat reporters have a lot of time or inclination to monitor Luke Russert or George Will at the ballgame. Not a useful use of their resources. Meanwhile, we typically write about the VIP playing-hooky-at-Opening Day scene, if that kind of thing lights you up.

– October 03, 2012 12:16 PM

"If you're doing your job as a journalist"

did you just call Oprah's BFF a "journalist"?
Amy Argetsinger :

Hey, Gayle King is now interviewing people in the news as anchor of the CBS Morning News, so I guess CBS is categorizing her as a journalist.

– October 03, 2012 12:17 PM

Lindsay Lohan

Should we expect LiLo to be involved in weekly hotel dust-ups?
Roxanne Roberts :

Honestly, how stupid do you have to be to invite strangers to your hotel room and think they're not going to tweet, text or take pictures? Sometimes I'm amazed at how clueless celebrities are about...everything.

– October 03, 2012 12:17 PM

Henry Winkler

he was in town, across the street from my office, and I even follow him on Twitter. And I missed him.
Roxanne Roberts :

What you're saying is that you have a life. Henry's a great guy, but the fact you weren't obsessively checking your phone or computer for updates is a good thing.

– October 03, 2012 12:19 PM

Taken 2

It cannot possibly live up to expectations, can it? And by expectations, I mean that it will be the best movie ever, lead to world peace, harmonizing of the earth, and will get Van Halen to finally reunite.
Amy Argetsinger :

Expectations are high, sure, and you may ask too much of a movie that will likely focus on the quick, violent deaths of several young men with eastern European accents who have been insufficient help in finding one's daughter. But I'm taking heart in the fact that we're now celebrating Neeson Season as a national holiday.

– October 03, 2012 12:22 PM

Gayle King, again

Gayle is not a great interviewer, and had already lobbed her share of softballs to Caroline, who was there to talk about the Oval Office recordings of her father that were recently released. I guess I don't blame Gayle for asking; it's just that I admire Caroline's gumption in choosing not to answer without dilly-dallying.
Roxanne Roberts :

A good reporter HAS to ask about a news story related to the interviewee. Caroline has every right not to answer the question, but she should never be offended or surprised if asked in a civil manner. "Gumption" suggests she's put upon in some way, when in fact the question could have been answered in a civil but "no comment" manner.

– October 03, 2012 12:23 PM

Anne Hathaway

How long do you give this marriage. I say 2 years tops
Amy Argetsinger :

Hmmm, no idea. She's kind of kept him under wraps, which is probably good. Red carpet overexposure is bad for a relationship.

But yes, there's a link I forgot: Anne Hathaway got married this week, and good for her.

– October 03, 2012 12:24 PM

Nationals

Now that the team is in the playoffs, does that mean we probably have no chance to convince the owners that "Nationals" is just a really stupid name and they should change it?

Yep, that ship's sailed.

– October 03, 2012 12:24 PM

Speaking of the CBS Morning Show...

Watching Nora O'Donnell try to assert herself as a talk show host is painful. She is SO eager to do well that she often jumps in and talks over Charlie Rose. She did it again yesterday morning, and Charlie just had that "will you please LET ME TALK" look on his face. She was so much better as a political reporter.
Roxanne Roberts :

Charlie ALWAYS wants to talk. He missed the "give and take" training in Morning Host 101.

– October 03, 2012 12:25 PM

Geography Inspired Baby Names

Didn't it actually start with the parents of Tennessee Williams or Virginia Woolf?
Amy Argetsinger :

Tennessee Williams -- also a nickname.

Good question about Virginia -- don't know when that resurfaced as a girls' name, whether it was before or after the Commonwealth was named in honor of Queen Elizabeth I's relationship status.

– October 03, 2012 12:26 PM

Arnold (of course)

Has it occured to him that maybe her big issue isn't with the affair, per se. People are weak and cheat. But, the complete moral breakdown of denying your own child is so reprehensible and vile as to be unforgivable. I don't think I could ever look at my husband and not wonder if he lacks something resembling a conscience.
Amy Argetsinger :

This might be beyond his comprehension. Who knows. I was going to say, "hey, go ask him yourself," but it turns out his D.C. book chat was last night -- check out video excerpts here.

– October 03, 2012 12:28 PM

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?

Were you being sarcastic when asking at the top "Did Arnold Schwarzenegger write his memoir just to win Maria back?" Because, yeah, I'm sure that part about how banging Bridgette Neilsen made him love Maria even more just melted her butter.
Roxanne Roberts :

Not saracastic at all. Sleeping with someone else (they weren't married or engaged at the time) is sometimes a good way to discover your feelings for another person. I'm not recommending it and there are other ways to gauge True Love, but it happens way too many times to issue a blanket condemnation. Plus, it was more than 30 years ago.

– October 03, 2012 12:29 PM

Debates

If you had your choice of anyone, who would moderate the presidential debates?
Amy Argetsinger :

David Letterman, I guess.

– October 03, 2012 12:30 PM

Ethel Kennedy

Your ditty on Ethel made me wonder: was she ever romantically linked with anyone after Bobby was killed? That would be kind of sad if not. She seems like someone who deserved to find love again.
Roxanne Roberts :

Nothing public that I'm aware of. The kids were still little when Bobby died, so that's 20 years or so focusing on them. I can't remember her even dating another man.

– October 03, 2012 12:32 PM

TomKat

I'm getting a little worried about Tom. From the covers of magazines near the register at Safeway, it seems that he is not seeing his daughter much. Do we have scientology to blame?
Amy Argetsinger :

That People magazine cover story on Tom's sad lonely life has been keeping me up at nights with worry.

– October 03, 2012 12:32 PM

Neeson

With all due respect for the great Michael D. Higgins, if Neeson ran for president of Ireland, I would feel a need to move back just to vote for him.
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, I think we need to change the constitution so he can run for president here.

– October 03, 2012 12:32 PM

Baby names

Is it better to be named after a redneck state (Tennessee Toth) or a city in New Jersey (Camden Lachey)? Roll call can substitute for geography lessons in 2017 kindergarten.
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, did Nick Lachey name his kid Camden too? Same as the Cutler-Cavalleris? Crazy. Why is this suddenly the thing?

– October 03, 2012 12:33 PM

Henry Winkler

A friend told me a week ago about being on a flight with him, and he sat in her row! He introduced himself ("Hi, I'm Henry") and was very nice, even when everyone wanted to pose in a picture with the Fonz.
Amy Argetsinger :

Good for him. I think it's got to be hard for an actor when everyone keeps associating you with one long-ago role -- but he seems to have found a way to be very gracious and cool about it.

– October 03, 2012 12:34 PM

Donald Trump

Just don't like The Donald.

Fair enough.

– October 03, 2012 12:35 PM

Anne Hathaway

Congratulations to her. However, there are two facts that should be mentioned in any story about her personal life. 1) she was the second-worst Oscars host ever (after James Franco) and 2) her ex-fiance is the best guy ever, claiming he worked for the Pope, swindled millions of dollars, and is now in prison. He is still in prison, right?
Amy Argetsinger :

Actually, Rafaello Follieri got released from prison in May -- and was immediately deported to Italy.

– October 03, 2012 12:35 PM

Debate Moderator

My vote for debate moderator would be Ricky Gervais
Roxanne Roberts :

Oh. My. God. I would pay serious, serious money to see that.

– October 03, 2012 12:36 PM

Taken 2, Home Alone, Free Willy etc.

It's ridiculous that these movies have sequels. How many loved ones will Liam Neeson have kidnapped? Next time it will be Uncle Leo from Seinfeld? How many times will mom forget Mac before they haul her off to jail for neglect? And for the love of Jeff, how many times is that damn fish going to get caught in a net? I think Willy is begging to die by the third film.
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, I disagree. "Taken" is perfect for sequels, because every Liam Neeson action movie feels like a "Taken" sequel even if it isn't. I can't remember their names -- they're all just "the new Liam Neeson movie," or "last year's Liam Neeson movie," and I love them all.

– October 03, 2012 12:36 PM

was she ever romantically linked with anyone after Bobby was killed?

There were scads of rumors for years about Ethel Kennedy and the lately deceased Andy Williams, who spent a lot of time together, although neither of them ever confirmed anything.
Roxanne Roberts :

Wasn't he married at the time?

– October 03, 2012 12:37 PM

Lincoln movie

Have you watched the trailer? If so, any opinions on the hullaballoo about the high pitched voice Daniel Day Lewis is using as Lincoln?
Amy Argetsinger :

Apparently that's how rural Illinoisans talked back then. So, you know, get over it.

– October 03, 2012 12:37 PM

Birtherism

Dont like the Donald's birtherism stance
Amy Argetsinger :

But everything else about him you're okay with, I take it?

– October 03, 2012 12:37 PM

If you had your choice of anyone, who would moderate the presidential debates?

Tom Bergeron!

Tom would be too nice.

– October 03, 2012 12:37 PM

Babynames

The geographic name "Lourdes" way predates today's celebrity naming trend. It is very common in Spanish-speaking countries to give names associated with places the Virgin Mary has (allegedly) appeared: Guadalupe, Montserrat, Lourdes, etc.

Okay, fair point.

– October 03, 2012 12:38 PM

Ahnold & Brigitte

Ahnold had his affair with Brigitte while he was already LIVING WITH Maria. That'd definitely be cheating, in my book!
Roxanne Roberts :

Were they? Okay, that's worse.

– October 03, 2012 12:38 PM

Matt Lauer, villain?

Has the narrative evolved to reflect some sympathy for Ann Curry and disdain for the hubris of Matt Lauer? The new girl doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire, either.
Roxanne Roberts :

No one really cares anymore. Ann lost, Matt won. Samantha is hanging on, but the show is sinking and that's the story.

– October 03, 2012 12:41 PM

Nationals a great name!

Let's us use "Nats" as a nod to the Senators without the present day ill-will towards that body of Congress. The Caps also have a great name. My only Nats fantasy change would be to the Homestead Grays. Who won several World Series titles when they weren't allowed to play in the "real" one.
Amy Argetsinger :

The Washington Grays would have been a great name, honestly. Suave, different, with a clear acknowledgement of the past.

– October 03, 2012 12:42 PM

Baby Place names

You know, Arlington sounds like a name some Brooklyn hipster would give to their baby. (Partly because "Brooklyn" is too down-market as a name now.)
Amy Argetsinger :

I kind of love that. It could happen, you know? "Arlington" sort of sounds like a good-ol-boy aristocrat name, but if they're not claiming it, let the hipsters run with it.

– October 03, 2012 12:43 PM

What to watch fro at the debate?

Every other journalist is offering lists of things we should watch for tonight. What do you look for when you view the contest (if you do watch the actual broadcast rather than the summary afterward)?
Roxanne Roberts :

I look for the Big Moments --which are very often little pauses or stumbles or snark -- that reveal the person. Both of them are overprepared to answer the questions, so the telling moments will be what isn't rehearsed.

– October 03, 2012 12:43 PM

Arnold-Brigitte

I am just learning about that relationship from this chat, so I have not had time to do proper research, But is Brigitte the first documented romantic nexus between the two biggest action stars of the 1980s, Arnold and Stallone?
Amy Argetsinger :

I think I'm going to need to ask you to do some more research on this and get back to us. Who were  Stallone's other liaisons?

– October 03, 2012 12:44 PM

Debate moderator

Jon Stewart. Smart and tough.
Amy Argetsinger :

Smart and tough -- but Jon Stewart always makes it all about Jon Stewart, you know? And a good debate moderate, as Paul Farhi wrote today, needs to seem invisible, make it seem effortless.

– October 03, 2012 12:46 PM

Does that mean I can name my child "Grilled Cheese Sandwich"?

You're bad.

– October 03, 2012 12:46 PM

Savannah Guthrie

Has she been fired from the Today Show yet?
Roxanne Roberts :

Nope. She'll get at least a year. I can't watch the show anymore. But I can't watch any of the network morning shows anymore because it's 10 minutes of news and then recipes, cooking, clothes, diets, the lastest way your teenager will die, etc., etc., etc. What a drag.

– October 03, 2012 12:46 PM

Virginia

Remember Virginia Dare, the first English baby born in America outside of Massachusetts!
Amy Argetsinger :

Right you are. So the name came first, then the state. CROATOAN! Poor child.

– October 03, 2012 12:48 PM

Samantha is hanging on, but the show is sinking and that's the story.

i love this so much... I don't even watch and I know her name is Savannah. Perhaps her lack of impact is part of the problem???
Roxanne Roberts :

I KNEW that! And she's a lovely person. I need more coffee.

– October 03, 2012 12:48 PM

"Wasn't he married at the time?"

That is so so sweet and quaint of you!

That's me:  Quaint.

– October 03, 2012 12:49 PM

Lindsey

Why would you expect a night in Lindsey Lohen's hotel room to NOT end up in a bad way?
Amy Argetsinger :

You see, that should have been the third lesson: If Lindsay Lohan invites you back to party in the hotel suite, don't go. But who among us could say no? I mean, you'd be so desperately curious you'd have to go, even at risk of death.

– October 03, 2012 12:50 PM

Seth MacFarlane

How do you think he will do hosting the Academy Awards?

Meh.

– October 03, 2012 12:50 PM

i'm in portland OR

and there's a Mt. Tabor here, and I've met at least two kids named Tabor. I've been here three months. (there's also Oscar, Grover, Levi, Reuben, Asher, Thor, Tallulah, and, um, others...)

Thor. Of course.

– October 03, 2012 12:50 PM

Ann Curry

I always hated her. Glad she's gone. Don't care if it was in some epic Matt war. The new girl is fine.
Roxanne Roberts :

Ann, also a lovely person, was not what I call a hard-hitting interviewer.

– October 03, 2012 12:51 PM

Back to Seth MacFarlane

I just watched his SNL monologue and I have to give the Academy Awards credit for having brass ones. The chance that he is going to show up high as a kite, breaking into song, channeling Stewie and using four letter words every 30 seconds seems way over 50%. The whole thing could be one long bleep. About damned time.
Roxanne Roberts :

Well, the first five minutes should be interesting.

– October 03, 2012 12:52 PM

CROATOAN

That word ALWAYS gives me the willies!
Amy Argetsinger :

I know. Been listening to an audiobook ab0ut the Jamestown colony, and of course the Roanoke colony is the unnerving backdrop for that story. Can you imagine being in England 400 years ago and someone saying, "hey, want to get on this boat and go start a new life in a completely unknown land?" It would be as terrifyingly irresistible as Lindsay Lohan inviting you to party back at the W.

– October 03, 2012 12:52 PM

MATT LAUER, VILLAIN?

The Today Show is still on? That's hilarious?

Bring back the chimp.

– October 03, 2012 12:52 PM

In college

I knew a guy who's name was MG. He learned on his 18th birthday that the back of one was where he was conceived.
Amy Argetsinger :

The back seat of an MG?!?!? I don't think that's physically possible.

– October 03, 2012 12:53 PM

But if the show is sinking, I kind of think that means that Ann won and Matt lost. Or at least there was a draw. Won the battle and lost the war, etc.
Roxanne Roberts :

Draw at best. Ann wasn't helping and probably hurting the rating.

– October 03, 2012 12:53 PM

Awkward questions

I have no problem with interviewers asking nosy questions, as long as they take "no" for an answer. It always annoys me when reporters at press conferences try to get an answer to a question that was rebuffed by simply rewording it. I've always wanted to see the subject respond, "I'm not stupid, you know."
Roxanne Roberts :

But they can't, because that becomes a meme in itself.

– October 03, 2012 12:54 PM

Geographic names

Carolina and Georgia were names before they were places, too. Possibly Florida (ask someone who knows Spanish history). And Washington.
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, yes, of course, Washington -- but we're talking about place names used as first names. Which is exotic, certainly.

– October 03, 2012 12:54 PM

"I think he really is sorry about the affair"

There were MULTIPLE affairs. The guy is a serial cheater and nothing would change if she took him back. I feel really bad for her.
Roxanne Roberts :

That doesn't mean she doesn't love him. Yeah, I feel bad, too.

– October 03, 2012 12:55 PM

Washington Irving

Named for the state I would imagine?
Amy Argetsinger :

Named after the great hero of the revolution that preceded his birth.

– October 03, 2012 12:55 PM

I knew a guy who's name was MG.

Maybe his parents were contortionists. Or acrobats. Is that any harder than the men's room under the bleachers at Yankee Stadium, where a couple was recently filmed, ahem, doing something similar?
Amy Argetsinger :

I know the video you're talking about. And yes, that looks a lot easier than the back seat of an MG.

– October 03, 2012 12:56 PM

Ethel Kennedy

She was linked to the recently departed Andy Williams. Both denied it, but too much smoke for me to be totally untrue.
Roxanne Roberts :

They could have been just buddies. Ethel was a pretty devout Catholic, if that counts for anything.

– October 03, 2012 12:57 PM

Oscars

The Oscars have allowed James Franco to be the host. How God-awful can Seth MacFarlane be and still not be the worst Oscars host ever?
Roxanne Roberts :

Pretty bad. Franco wasn't even funny; Seth will be.

– October 03, 2012 12:59 PM

The guy is a serial cheater and nothing would change if she took him back.

I have a male friend who is a serial cheater. Or rather, was. He's in his 50s, and he has noted that because his testosterone levels have dropped, the feelings have ebbed also. Oh, and he just got married for the third time. Does anyone think that Warren Beatty has continued to have affairs since he and Annette Bening got together?
Amy Argetsinger :

Call me crazy, but I think Warren Beatty was just plain exhausted by the time he married Annette Bening. I bet he's done with all that.

– October 03, 2012 1:00 PM

First names

Washington Irving predated the state.

– October 03, 2012 1:00 PM

Overuse of bully

Does one nasty comment a bully make? In my mind, bullying is a repeated action, one where one person has power over the other. It seems like we're using bully to define any kind of negative comment, and I don't know that broadening the definition like that does any good.
Roxanne Roberts :

I think she meant in it in a class-action sense: Lots of people being criticized instead of one person being harassed by another person.

– October 03, 2012 1:01 PM

I'm in Portland, too!

Place names are for dogs. Seriously. Tabor is a super name for a lab or retriever. Names in this town are ridiculous... ATLAS (a girl!!) is my #1 best/worst.
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, I like the directness of that. Instead of naming your kid from the Atlas, just named them "Atlas."

– October 03, 2012 1:01 PM

MG

Perhaps the parents were circus people

Musta been.

– October 03, 2012 1:01 PM

Neeson for President?

I don't know. I've lost a little respect for this guy. It's kind of cheesy that he's become some kind of action star now that he's 60. He's going the Nick Cage route.
Amy Argetsinger :

Except that Nic Cage's action movies are terrible, and Liam Neeson's are awesome.

– October 03, 2012 1:02 PM

Ethel was a pretty devout Catholic, if that counts for anything.

Aren't all those priests pretty devout too?
Roxanne Roberts :

Now, now. Let's not step into that confessional booth, son.

– October 03, 2012 1:02 PM

Kids names

Going back for forth between Wasilla or Lackawanna for the name of my first child (boy or girl).
Amy Argetsinger :

Those are both very pretty.

– October 03, 2012 1:02 PM

MATT LAUER, VILLAIN?

Should have picked Hoda!
Roxanne Roberts :

Agreed. It will probably happen.

– October 03, 2012 1:02 PM

Taken 2

I thought Taken 2: The One Where He Loses His Memory was a little disappointing, but really enjoyed Taken 3: Time to Kill Wolves. So curious about this latest version.
Amy Argetsinger :

I liked the fact that they blew up January Jones in "Taken 2: The One Where He Loses His Memory." And the one with the wolves was great. I love how Neeson seems really very sad about the fact that he has to kill you.

– October 03, 2012 1:04 PM

Savannah Guthrie

Maybe her problem is that her first name is also the name of a city in Georgia.

Not the problem.

– October 03, 2012 1:04 PM

the c-word

Oh geez - I know a bunch of small Camdens. I also know a bunch of small Cadences. Not Candice. Cadence. Don't get that one either.
Amy Argetsinger :

I still need an explainer on what's inspiring the Camden thing.

Cadence -- that's hilarious.

– October 03, 2012 1:04 PM

Debate Moderators

Larry David Steven Wright Mo Rocca
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, there's a bunch of sober, blend-into-the-scenery guys.

– October 03, 2012 1:05 PM

Taken

For DVD Box Set purposes, I think they can just repackage Michael Collins as a Taken prequel, right?
Amy Argetsinger :

Did he kill anyone with his hands in "Michael Collins"? Because if so, they definitely marketed that one wrong.

– October 03, 2012 1:05 PM

Re: On a flight with Henry Winkler

Inquiring minds want to know: What class did Henry Winkler fly -- First Class, Coach, or something in between?
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, original chatter -- still there?

– October 03, 2012 1:05 PM

Children's names

I'm going with my beloved state of Oregon when I have kids. The girl will be Chemeketa and the boy will be Tu-Tu-Tutten.
Amy Argetsinger :

Those are very pretty, too.

– October 03, 2012 1:06 PM

Romantic Nexi

There is the Kelly Preston connection of not just John Travolta and Charlie Sheen, but also George Clooney. Maybe that's why he dates civilians now.
Amy Argetsinger :

Until they start getting uppity. That's why you need a strict contract to govern things.

– October 03, 2012 1:06 PM

Stallone & Brigitte

Weren't Brigitte Nielsen and Sylvester Stallone actually MARRIED to one another?
Amy Argetsinger :

They were, for about an hour and a half.

– October 03, 2012 1:07 PM

If you had your choice of anyone, who would moderate the presidential debates?

I think Jeff Probst would do an excellent job of calling them out for all their hijinks!
Amy Argetsinger :

Hey, that's Emmy-winning Jeff Probst to you. And isn't this just the original Tribal Council we're going through now?

– October 03, 2012 1:07 PM

Re: Arnold and Maria: they genuinely loved each other and I think he really is sorry ...

Have Arnold's lawyer's threatened you and the Post? He knocked up the maid. Found out the kid was his. And told Maria AFTER he was out of office. Chris Brown and Rhianna are a definite no. But this somehow less odious? What are the standard here? Just sayin'
Roxanne Roberts :

People, people: Chill. The maid and son are the dealbreaker for me, too. The decade-long lie is the worst part of it all. But --- and I just reading the book here --Arnold still sounds like he loves Maria and wants her back. Don't know if that will happen but I don't know Maria and whether she will/can/should forgive. Not my call.

– October 03, 2012 1:08 PM

Brigitte and Falco

This is tangential to the whole Ahnold discussion, but Brigitte is responsible for one of the worst pop songs of the 80s, Body Next to Body, with Falco.

Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, the waves of sadness and nostalgia that come over me when you mention  Falco. Been thinking about him a lot, and how that guy Psy (everyone's Halloween costume, right?) is ripping off his shtick and M.C. Hammer's. Don't you think?

– October 03, 2012 1:09 PM

re: everything else about him you're okay with?

For me, I'd say yes. Sure he's a cheese ball, shameless and obnoxious. But the birther thing, well, when I hear anyone making these comments, I immediately assume they're racist. There's no real way around that as far as I'm concerned. Trump was amusing before, but now he's creepy and disturbing and it's time to turn off his mic.
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, glad to help you work through your feelings here. But yes, it's harder to write him off as a joke now, isn't it?

– October 03, 2012 1:09 PM

Stallone's ex-gfs

Well, he was married to Brigitte as well as first wife Sasha, and now is married to Jennifer Flavin (they're still married, right) Also dated Angie Everhart, Janice Dickinson and Susan Anton. There were Janine Turner rumors when they make Cliffhanger together. And the internet tells me me rumors have linked him both to Jami Gertz and Mary Hart. No mention of Schwarzenegger's housekeeper.
Amy Argetsinger :

Glad I could outsource this one. Thank you so much.

– October 03, 2012 1:10 PM

What's So "Damning?"

The GOP is all agog (I like that word) over a new video that shows the President speaking about the differences on how 9-11 and Katrina victims were treated. He merely pointed out that the majority of victims were black and were not given the same 10% waivers (see the video for explanation) that 9-11 victims were. How is that "spreading hate?" Also, one needs to watch the full Pastor Wright video and one would see there is nothing there as well. To be fair, I am also tired of hearing the Ronmney "spray-tanning" cliams. I think that is ridiculous as well. When can we stop talking about Pastor Wright and spray-tanning and discuss substantive issues?
Amy Argetsinger :

Actually, my sense is that that story did not get much traction at all.

– October 03, 2012 1:11 PM

Ann Curry's strange interview voice

I recently saw Ms. Curry interivew Aung San Suu Kyi on her visit to the U.S. and it was unwatchable. She adopted his hushed, sympathetic tone as if she were comforting a four year old who had just lost a parent, instead of talking with one of the great human rights leaders of our time. Ann: (In a whisper) But surely, there were times when you gave up hope. Aung San Suu Kyi: No.
Roxanne Roberts :

That's what she always does: "How does it feel to be called a hero?" Etc., etc. Drives me crazy. It only works in disaster zones, and even then not so much.

– October 03, 2012 1:11 PM

Take my wife (and daughter) please!

Isn't Taken 2 veering awfully close to Kim Bauer territory? I mean, how many times can a gal get kidnapped?
Amy Argetsinger :

We haven't had a cougar menacing a teenager yet in a Liam Neeson movie, have we? It's about darned time.

– October 03, 2012 1:11 PM

Maria & Arnold

I can't imagine she expected he would be faithful when she married him. What in his history would suggest that? And it's not like her family history encourages an idealistic view of marriage. I think getting it on with the household staff, and obviously without protection, was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. (He says himself he crossed a new line with that one.)
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm waiting for HER book.

– October 03, 2012 1:12 PM

Taken 3: Time to Kill Wolves

this one was a little depressing though, no? I remember being sad when it was over, and not because it was over. Taken 1 remains one of the greatest movies ever. It is so amazing, and never ever gets old when it pops up on cable.
Amy Argetsinger :

You say "sad" and "depressing" like that's a bad thing in a movie.

– October 03, 2012 1:12 PM

No on Arnold

forgiving or overlooking affairs is one thing, a baby is another, especially with the mom roaming around the house.
Roxanne Roberts :

Not just roaming -- cleaning dirty laundry!

– October 03, 2012 1:13 PM

The "Washington" Grays?

Uh, the Grays are a Pittsburgh team.
– October 03, 2012 1:13 PM

RE: ARNOLD AND MARIA: THEY GENUINELY LOVED EACH OTHER AND I THINK HE REALLY IS SORRY ...

I have never heard the phrase "The way (back) to a woman's heart is through a tell-all book about my private life."
Amy Argetsinger :

Hey, didn't say it was a good strategy.

– October 03, 2012 1:13 PM

The fonz on the plane

I'm pretty sure this was in first class. My friend has lots of frequent flyer miles.

Ah, thanks.

– October 03, 2012 1:13 PM

Re: Liam Neeson

Amy, have you seen The Grey? Just watched it the other night on Netflix. Pretty bad, even Neeson couldn't save it.
Amy Argetsinger :

You mean, "Taken 3: The One with Wolves and Dermot Mulroney"? Saw it opening night in the theater. Loved it.

– October 03, 2012 1:18 PM

Taken was Awesome?

Not really
Amy Argetsinger :

Someone else here wants to have a word with you.

– October 03, 2012 1:20 PM

Taken, yay!

I'm so glad that other people like that movie as much as I do. It's only about two hours and I still really enjoy it after watching it probably 10 times.
Amy Argetsinger :

Thanks for your thoughts.

– October 03, 2012 1:20 PM

My friend has lots of frequent flyer miles

So you're saying she gets around?

Ha.

– October 03, 2012 1:21 PM

Ahnuld

Appears to be looking to claim this year's "skeeviest husband" title. However, John Edwards is not quite ready to give up the crown.
Roxanne Roberts :

Difference between a Hollywood guy and a politician; Edwards had farther to fall.

Kids, finish work early so you can be front of the TV for the debate: Civic responsibility AND a chance to cheer and boo. Really, there should be a betting line. ("Will Mitt cover the spread?") Then send your tips, insights, and sightings to reliablesource@washpost.com. Same next, next week.

– October 03, 2012 1:21 PM