July 11, 2012

The Reliable Source Live

Host: Reliable Source

Reliable Source

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Send us tips at reliablesource@washpost.com; bookmark us at Reliable Source and follow us at twitter.com/reliablesource.

Washington Post columnist Amy Argetsinger was online Wednesday, July 11, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Good morning, and welcome back -- sorry we couldn't meet last week because of the holiday.

Hey, isn’t summer supposed to be slow? But there’s so much news:

Al's not the only one who's moved on -- Tipper Gore is dating someone, too.

Barney Frank got married, becoming the first member of Congress in a same-sex marriage.

Since last we met, Katie Holmes filed to divorce Tom Cruise — and they already have a settlement! You never really know what goes on in someone else's relationship, but  Tom and Katie's was pretty much an open book.

Peter O’Toole announces his retirement, and hopefully is enjoying all the appreciative comments one usually has to wait to see in one's obituary.

Bob Kerrey’s wife rues his political career, disses Nebraska.

Roseanne Barr just misses out on Green Party veepstakes, sorry to inform you.

In other news: Carl Bernstein remembers Nora Ephron. . .  Don Graham got married. . . Denise Rich abandons America. . .  Everything you want to know about Bryce Harper's life in D.C. . . . The telenovela life of Mexico's new president.

Looking forward to your questions. Hey, anyone seen Roxanne?

Are we chatting today?

?
Amy Argetsinger :

Yes. Sorry for the delay. They forgot to create a chat forum for us this morning, and then I was typing away and forgot to hit the "start" button. Technology!

– July 11, 2012 12:06 PM

Katie Holmes

Was there really any doubt that Katie and Tom would split up? I called it as a four year marriage at best
Amy Argetsinger :

I mean, it was never a good idea, right? Even setting aside all the couch-jumping, etc. He was a twice-divorced Scientologist and established A-lister, she was a TV ingenue 17 years his junior and not long out of Catholic girls' school. I guess I assumed that once they turned the corner on five years that they'd go for the full 10 years. But maybe he got a six-month extension on their five year contract to get him through "Rock of Ages" promotion.

Of course, I'm just speculating. I mean, what do I know of their private relationship. Oh wait -- there was nothing private about that relationship. Read my doctoral dissertation on the topic:  Saga of Tom and Katie may be as much about show biz as about a failed relationship

– July 11, 2012 12:09 PM

Didn't post this in time

But the photo you had about Nora Ephron and Carl Bernstein - they had the exact same haircut!!!
Amy Argetsinger :

I thought the same thing when I saw that photo. The '70s were a great era for his-and-her matching haircuts.

Carl Bernstein remembers Nora Ephron

– July 11, 2012 12:10 PM

Barney Frank

Were there any Republicans spotted at Barney Frank's wedding?
Amy Argetsinger :

Hmmm. Good question. Don't think so. It's a clannish town that way.

– July 11, 2012 12:11 PM

Sofia Vergara

What are the odds she stays engaged?
Amy Argetsinger :

I'm just not even writing about this one unless they actually get married.

– July 11, 2012 12:12 PM

Andy Griffith

RIP Andy Griffith. Can still hear the tune to the Andy Griffith Show
Amy Argetsinger :

One friend makes the case that The Andy Griffith Show is the best sitcom ever. Agree?

Andy Griffith, Mayberry’s Sheriff Andy Taylor, dies at 86

– July 11, 2012 12:13 PM

Peter O'Toole

How did he never win an Oscar? Who the heck beat him for My Favorite Year or Lawrence of Arabia? Was it one of those gift years were they rewarded John Wayne or something like that?
Amy Argetsinger :

Just bad timing, really. It's like, how did his drinking buddy Richard Burton not get an Oscar? How did Cary Grant not get one? It's the flipside of the politics of these awards: Sometimes they just give the prize to someone they really really like - but sometimes they assume someone who's really really good is going to have many other opportunities to win. And yes, he did lose out to John Wayne for "True Grit," but that probably wasn't O'Toole's year anyway ("Goodbye Mr. Chips"). In the season of "My  Favorite Year" (in which he was amazing), he lost to Ben Kingsley for "Gandhi" (the movie hasn't really endured, but Kingsley has stood the test of time, so no argument there). And you probably won't be too upset about his "Lawrence of Arabia" loss when you realize that he was beat out by Gregory Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird." Tough years, both of them.

– July 11, 2012 12:18 PM

Tom and Katie--because it must be asked

How stunning was it that a divorce settlement was announced so quickly? My immediate thought was that Katie Holmes had some sort of nuclear bomb in her pocket re Scientology or something else that caused Cruise to pretty much agree to give her whatever she asked for. And who would have thought that the former Dawson's Creek star had this much gumption?
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm more inclined to think that there was a iron-clad prenup that spelled out exactly how much she would get after X years of marriage. The only thing to negoiate was child support.

– July 11, 2012 12:18 PM

Thank goodness the home page was wrong

I didn't think you had a chat scheduled for today. Very glad to see that I was misinformed. So we know what Bob Kerry's wife thinks about him running again and we know what Mitt's wife thinks about the opposition's campaign. How much are the wife's feelings taken into account during an election?
Roxanne Roberts :

I don't think it changes any voter's mind, but it DOES add or take away from the overall impression they may have of the candidiate. In Kerrey's case, it fuels the belief that he's not 100% there for his home state---especially if his wife makes such a point to declaring her opposition to his campaign and her dicey view of the Midwest in general.  As for Romney, his supporters will probably agree with her, but someone looking for a moderating influence (aka the quiet views of Laura Bush) may be disapppointed.

– July 11, 2012 12:19 PM

"Predictions" on TomKat

The smart money said 6 years, since most pre-nups up the ante when you're married more than 5!
Roxanne Roberts :

I thought the golden number was 10 years.

– July 11, 2012 12:19 PM

Peter O'Toole

Hopefully he has a good retirement. Did Gene Hackman retire as well?
Amy Argetsinger :

Okay, raise your hand if you knew that Gene Hackman (82) was three years older than Peter O'Toole (79).

Does that even make any sense?

But yes, indeed, Hackman hasn't made a movie since 2004, and he's told interviewers that he's done.

– July 11, 2012 12:19 PM

Katie and "The Wire"

LOVE the info about how she used a burner phone to talk with the lawyers (and Posh Spice) and plan the breakaway. I wonder if she ever said, "Mos' def, yo"
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, and the latest story-I-can't-vouch-for says that she was getting guidance from Nicole Kidman. I mean, who knows, but isn't it pretty to think so?

– July 11, 2012 12:20 PM

Honestly sorry I won't let it die

Jay Carney's hometown in Northern Viriginia?
Amy Argetsinger :

No, you're not sorry at all.

– July 11, 2012 12:21 PM

in defense of Carl Bernstein

There are some really good looking venetian blinds out there.

Oh, you have a problem.

– July 11, 2012 12:21 PM

Best Sitcom Ever

Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever.
Amy Argetsinger :

I knew you'd be the argumentative one.

– July 11, 2012 12:21 PM

Congrats to Barney Frank!

But, is this the fellow who caused him The Troubles awhile back?

Nope. Different guy.

– July 11, 2012 12:22 PM

Sofia Vergara

Who is that?
Amy Argetsinger :

I think she's the lady on that show everyone keeps telling me I need to watch. "Modern Family," right?

– July 11, 2012 12:22 PM

Best sit-com ever?

I'd put the Andy Griffin Show in my top five, but I think that Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, All in the Family, and M*A*S*H were all better. Also, I Love Lucy.
Amy Argetsinger :

"Everybody Loves Raymond"? Provocative.

– July 11, 2012 12:23 PM

Savannah Guthrie

How long will she be able to stay on the Today show if ratings do not improve?
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, I think they'll give her a few more days. What are we on now, Day Three?

– July 11, 2012 12:23 PM

Bob Kerrey's wife

So, what was she expecting when she married him? And was she just trying to be funny?
Roxanne Roberts :

My read: She honestly thought he WAS done with public office (and maybe he did too) when he moved to New York and married her. I don't think she was trying to be funny---I think, under the pretext of being funny, she's not at all happy that he's asking her and their son to change their lives for this campaign. Some people I spoke with thought it was a very damaging piece to write because it plays right into the hands of his critics, who claim he's out of touch with the concerns of his state.

– July 11, 2012 12:23 PM

TomKat settlement speed

I was talking about this with my friend the divorce accountant and she said even with an ironclad prenup spelling out details, the fact that it only took 11 days from start to finish means, in her opinion, its much more likely that she had something on him. Just putting that out there...
Amy Argetsinger :

She also had SEVEN LAWYERS. In three different states. Seriously, do not mess with Katie Holmes.

– July 11, 2012 12:24 PM

Ernest Borgnine

RIP Ernest Borgnine
Amy Argetsinger :

So we've got  Ernest Borgnine and Andy Griffith. . . and Peter O'Toole retiring but getting obituary-like treatment as a result. Does that count as three?

– July 11, 2012 12:24 PM

Mexico's Prezie

How can you get an annulment if you have multiple kids? They strike me as skeeves.
Roxanne Roberts :

Happens all the time, if you've got enoughy money and influence. But yeah---kind of weird for the kids from the first marriage. Since I'm not Catholic: How are the children of an anulled marriage regarded by the church?

– July 11, 2012 12:25 PM

Bernstein and Ephron

I have to give Carl Bernstein kudos for taking the high road in his e-mail response after Nora Ephron's death. A lot of ex's would still smarting after being ridiculed in a roman-a-clef. Which, by the way, would today be treated as insulting your ex in front of the children, a major no-no between divorced parents.
Roxanne Roberts :

Me too--although it's been 30 years since they split. Being kind was the right thing to do for his kids, even now.

– July 11, 2012 12:27 PM

Tom and Katie

Is it true Tom has moved on already?
Amy Argetsinger :

I almost threw my BlackBerry across the room (yes, BlackBerry -- don't give me that look) when I saw the planted Page Six item about what "great chemisty" he has with his new co-star. That's about the cheesiest damage-control strategy I've seen in a while.

– July 11, 2012 12:27 PM

Thanks for keeping us up to date on Tareq Salahi

and for ensuring that none of us ever makes the mistake and sues the guy who steals our wife....Seriously, though,am I the only one rooting against this guy?

What do you think.

– July 11, 2012 12:27 PM

"The only thing to negotiate was child support"

And child CUSTODY, which I think was the huge issue. I agree with the previous poster re: Scientology-scented nuclear bomb. I thought Mr. Cruise would have wanted to keep Suri in the fold otherwise.
Roxanne Roberts :

You absolutely right. The desire to keep everything under wraps appears to be even more important than raising her in the church.

– July 11, 2012 12:28 PM

Chat

Didn't you used to have someone you worked with -- did the chat with you?
Amy Argetsinger :

She says there was a lot of "traffic" today. What do you think that really means?

– July 11, 2012 12:28 PM

Is there any speculation on any significance of his marriages ending when his wives are 33?
Amy Argetsinger :

Read all the way to the end of my story and you'll see my speculation.

– July 11, 2012 12:29 PM

Denise Rich

Given how sleazy her tax-evading husband Marc is, I'm not the least bit surprised that Denise Rich is denouncing her US citizenship with the flimsiest of excuses. But my recollection is that she is not only a Clinton donor, but an Obama and other Democrats donor. Shouldn't have you have mentioned that? Yes, her donations to Clinton got Bill to pardon her tax-evading husband, but she didn't exactly stop spreading her dough around after that!
Amy Argetsinger :

Did she? I guess I'm not surprised, but this short item wasn't a full-blown Denise Rich profile -- and the reason she's famous/notorious is for her lavish Clinton donations at a time when her ex was seeking a pardon.

– July 11, 2012 12:31 PM

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes

Do you think Katie Holmes has become damaged goods for being with Tom Cruise so long or do you think she will jump right back into dating?
Roxanne Roberts :

It didn't hurt Nicole Kidman a bit. I think Katie will be a huge deal for the next couple of years, during which she needs to land a high-profile acting role and prove her chops. Otherwise, she'll just be Tom's other rich ex-wife, aka Mimi Rogers.

– July 11, 2012 12:31 PM

Amy, you alone today?

I just worry about you.

Yo. Over here!

– July 11, 2012 12:32 PM

Al and Tipper

Is it really over? That is sad.

Both seem happy, though.

– July 11, 2012 12:32 PM

Katie Holmes

She's 17 years junior to Tom Cruise, but she was 26 when they got together, and what, 28 when they got married? Hardly "not long out of Catholic girls' school." I get that she had this image of an ingenue, but I think she was old enough that she should have known what she was doing.
Amy Argetsinger :

I disagree. My analysis of this person that I don't know at all is that she was relatively sheltered and unsophisticated for a Hollywood kid -- not a lot of nightclubs, high-profile relationships, etc., before Tom came along; and that she fell for whatever choreographed wooing campaign he put forward because of her general naivete. Like, she hadn't really had enough life experience to recognize how weird the situation was. Again, it should be noted that I have not treated either of the patients involved, nor I am a licensed mental-health professional.

– July 11, 2012 12:35 PM

Re: O'Toole

Really? You think Gandhi hasn't held up? I saw it again recently and was still blown away by it. (Though, to be fair, you've really got to be in it for the long haul to enjoy it. Definitely take that intermission they built in.)
Amy Argetsinger :

I'll give it a shot sometime, then. What I meant, though, is that it's not a movie that's watched a whole lot -- much like many of its other fellow Best Picture winners.

– July 11, 2012 12:36 PM

Mrs Cruise #4?

Can there really be a fourth marriage for this guy? I'm thinking no.
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm thinking yes, yes, yes. Look at the pool of aspiring young actresses, subtract those who will only marry for love, subtract a few more who will marry for fame/money but are wary of his religion. That still leaves thousands who would be thrilled to be an instant Hollywood A-lister.  And Tom? To the degree he wants another decade of top movie roles, marriage to a hot young beauty is not a bad PR move.

– July 11, 2012 12:37 PM

Borgnine

Some obit writer really fell down on the job. Nobody could get a decent Jan-Michael VIncent comment on the death of his fellow co-star?
Amy Argetsinger :

I don't think Jan-Michael Vincent has a listed number anymore. It's possible he doesn't have a phone.

– July 11, 2012 12:37 PM

Chris Klein

Can we start a rumor that I am somehow responsible for this breakup? Oh, and American Pie 4 is now available on DVD.
Amy Argetsinger :

Chris, this one's for you.

– July 11, 2012 12:37 PM

The Nicholas Cage Job attachment

So, this college student who attached the HILARIOUS photo of Nic Cage instead of her resume makes me wonder about any similar stories you or my fellow chatters have....
Roxanne Roberts :

What am I missing here? I looked at it and thought, "Hmmmm, kind of funny mistake" but I barely cracked a smile.

– July 11, 2012 12:38 PM

DC United

Since someone is always pushing you for gossip on the Nationals, let me push you to devote more gossip space to DC United, our hometown soccer team. They are currently in First place in the East and these boys are hot. So can you find us any gossip? I mean Chris Pontius is rumored to be a huge ladies man.
Amy Argetsinger :

Thanks, we'll take that under advisement. Now, can you confirm for me that the Chris Pontius who plays for D.C. United is not the Chris Pontius who drops his pants a lot and dances around in a thong in "Jackass"?

– July 11, 2012 12:39 PM

Katie

Nicole and Tom break up -- Nicole gets an Oscar. Penelope Cruz and Tom break up -- Penelope wins an Oscar. See you at the Oscars in 2014, Katie (or Kate, as Tom called her)
Roxanne Roberts :

But -- and here's the crucial question -- is Katie anywhere as talented as Nicole or Penelope? I vote no.

– July 11, 2012 12:40 PM

Salahi

Shouldn't Tareq be paying Neil Schon some money as a thank you for taking Missy off his hands?
Amy Argetsinger :

You know who doesn't need money? Neal Schon. When I saw that Journey documentary I realized just how many songs they have that still get tremendous airplay -- including a few ("Don't Stop Believin'," "Anyway You Want It," etc.), for which Schon has a songwriting credit. On the other hand, Wikipedia also informs me that he has a number of children and ex-wives, and those are expensive.

– July 11, 2012 12:42 PM

Annulment

Children of an annulled marriage are considered illegitimate by the Catholic church. Though a lapsed Catholic myself, my divorced parents weirdly don't understand why I'm opposed to their annulling a 25-year marriage.
Roxanne Roberts :

That's what I was afraid of. It's bad enough to end a marriage to wed someone else, but if doing so makes your children from that marriage bastards in the eyes of the church, I consider that a problem.

– July 11, 2012 12:42 PM

TomKat Split

It all begs a great question -- what is Mimi Rogers doing these days?
Amy Argetsinger :

Playing competitive poker in celebrity tournaments. Also, according to IMDB, working steadily in things you haven't seen. Including that TV series where Jennifer Love Hewitt works in a massage parlor.

– July 11, 2012 12:44 PM

Scientology

Is scientology that bad that it has turned a whole nation against Tom Cruise, formerly known as the biggest movie star in the world? I mean, I am just a little surprised how everybody has jumped to Katie Holmes defense and painted Tom Cruise as the villian.
Roxanne Roberts :

You're right: We don't know the inside of their marriage. What confuses the issue is the secretive nature of the religion, and that the little that is know -- from Tom and other members -- doesn't sound very mainstream.

– July 11, 2012 12:45 PM

Katie's Career

What's next for Katie Holmes career. Is there a Dawson's Creek reunion in the cards?
Amy Argetsinger :

Now that Tom's out of the way, I guess that project can finally happen. Except. . . Michelle Williams isn't going to sign on, is she?

– July 11, 2012 12:45 PM

Peter O'Toole the writer

If anyone wants a sense of what O'Toole is really like, he wrote two volumes of memoirs, each with the main title "Loitering With Intent." And he wrote them--no ghost, no as told to. Originally, after leaving the Navy, he wanted to be a journalist and he would have been a great one, based on these books.
Amy Argetsinger :

Thanks for the recommendation.

– July 11, 2012 12:45 PM

All-Time Sitcoms

Gotta make a case for Mary Tyler Moore and the Bob Newhart Show (Suzanne Pleshette version).
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, I knew this would stir stuff up. Let's also not forget the Benny Hill Show.

– July 11, 2012 12:46 PM

Exhaustion

I'm a little tired today. Can I call into work, tell them I am suffering from exhaustion (no need to explain more) and then take a few months off? Or is that just for members of Congress?
Amy Argetsinger :

That is just for members of Congress.

– July 11, 2012 12:46 PM

The Nic Cage photo attachment

It's the photo that was so hilarious, not the mistake in attaching it. He looks completely nuts!
Roxanne Roberts :

But he looks nuts ALL the time. Guess I'm not getting the joke.

– July 11, 2012 12:46 PM

Salahi question

Why is the Male Salahi suing people? I just don't understand.
Amy Argetsinger :

Lawsuits are a way for Americans to process their anger and other bad feelings.

– July 11, 2012 12:47 PM

Kate Holmes' ambition

Folks acting shocked that Kate Holmes planned so much of her divorce out in advance, but seemed from the get-go of her romantic relationship with Tom Cruise showed her to be rather ambitious.
Amy Argetsinger :

Did it? Seemed like her career kind of dropped off the map after she hooked up with him.

– July 11, 2012 12:47 PM

Wrong answer on Annulment...

A commonly held misconception, because legitimacy has nothing to do with the church. It is the ability of someone not living with their spouse to partake of the sacraments that makes the difference with annulment, and that includes the ability to marry again within the church.
Roxanne Roberts :

So the children of the annulled marriage ARE considered legimate in the church?

– July 11, 2012 12:47 PM

Ernest Borgnine

What the heck was up with his 20 minute (or so) marriage to Ethel Merman? Aren't we owed more of an explanation of what was going on?
Amy Argetsinger :

YES. It kills me that both of them went to their grave without explaining to me what was up with that.

– July 11, 2012 12:48 PM

Carney stalker

Tell us why you need to know! We may be more interested in crowdsourcing this info if you could give a compelling reason for your kind of creepy obsession.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah! What's YOUR Northern Virginia hometown, Carney-obsessive?

– July 11, 2012 12:48 PM

Bryce Harper

I was surprised he was so open about his schedule, etc. in that item. We don't have many accessible sports stars here--he opened himself right up to the crazies. In other news, I was shocked that there are people who don't like him. My cousin's husband (they live in Florida) posted something negative about him on FB last night and lots of people "liked" his status. I guess I'm in a bubble here in DC, where we of course LOVE him, but I didn't know people disliked him. I couldn't figure out why, but my cousin's husband and I don't agree on anything, so I didn't get into it.
Amy Argetsinger :

Your cousin's husband is just a jerk, sorry to say. Go read that Bryce Harper story, those of you who haven't.

– July 11, 2012 12:50 PM

I am number 4

On one level, have a super young wife does help Tom Cruise seem young, but if the next Mrs Cruise is born after Top Gun was released (1989?), that would be weird even by Tom Cruise standards.
Roxanne Roberts :

Hollywood is different: Look at Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones, for one.

– July 11, 2012 12:50 PM

I could look this up

But asking you guys is more fun. Is "My Favorite Year" the film that co-starred the guy from Perfect Strangers. The one that didn't play Balki?
Amy Argetsinger :

Yes, Mark Linn-Baker, that guy. Cute movie, worth seeing.

– July 11, 2012 12:51 PM

Argh, you win again mass media

Just like I didn't want to care about Michael Jackson's death, I didn't want to care about Top Gun and Joey Potter's divorce, but you win. All the coverage and now I'm into. Argh.
Amy Argetsinger :

Did you know that "Argh" is my nickname in some circles? Or are you just groaning?

– July 11, 2012 12:51 PM

Harper's New Home

Quote" The people in Washington are so nice and genuine...". Which Washington is he talking about ?
Amy Argetsinger :

Hahaha. He's so young. Also: Lives in Pentagon City. The people are probably nice and genuine there.

– July 11, 2012 12:52 PM

Re: Katie Holmes' Ambition

Maybe her career slowed down, but she is ubiquitous on magazine covers and the internet, especially with the adorable Suri at her side. She's much more famous now than ever before.
Roxanne Roberts :

True---but that only counts for so much. She needs to do something professional or she's just a skinny Kardashian.

– July 11, 2012 12:52 PM

Still Wingmen

I was delighted to read that Tyler Clippard & Drew Storen are still the best of friends even though Tyler has taken over Drew's job as closer for the Nationals. I saw the tour of their apartment from your link, and I thought they had two bathrooms. So why don't they each have their own shampoo? Or is there only one shower?
Amy Argetsinger :

Gosh, you know -- I was on a pretty good streak of answering questions, but I just hit a wall.

– July 11, 2012 12:53 PM

Tom/Katie

Pardon me as I try to be a voice of some reason in this 24 hour news/celeb world we live in. Yes, Cruise was jumping on a sofa like an idiot and berating Matt Lauer for his belief in science, but still, we have no idea what was happening behind closed doors in that marriage. Many don't understand scientology (including myself), so it is easy to say that Katie wanted out to get her daughter away from a cult, etc. At the end of the day, it is a private matter where we can do nothing but speculate. However, we can wish them all well, not knowing who was (or if either were) a bad guy here.
Roxanne Roberts :

Well, THAT's not going to sell any magazine covers.

– July 11, 2012 12:53 PM

Back to Reille...

Hate to ask another Reile Hunter question (she's so old news), but I've seen her promoting her book on several talk shows, and she seems more intelligent, articulate and quick-witted than I would have expected. She's not a bubblehead. Piers Morgan asked her point-blank why she didn't use some form of birth control during her time with Edwards, and she slipped past the question. So I'll ask: Does anyone think that this woman without a lot going for her set out to deliberately ensnare a rich, handsome, famous guy?
Amy Argetsinger :

You're asking me what was going on in the head of Rielle Hunter?

Why did the questions suddenly get so much harder at the end of the hour?

– July 11, 2012 12:54 PM

Church annulment

does not equal legal annulment. One is church "law" (more like guidelines) and the other is state law. You can get a courthouse annulment, usually by showing lack of consummation or dishonesty in the marriage (like lying about your age, being gay, using a fake name, etc.).

More to know...

– July 11, 2012 12:54 PM

Chris Pontius

You wrote: Now, can you confirm for me that the Chris Pontius who plays for D.C. United is not the Chris Pontius who drops his pants a lot and dances around in a thong in "Jackass"? I think I might start going to more soccer games if he is, indeed, the same person!
Amy Argetsinger :

Soccer needs something like that, huh?

– July 11, 2012 12:55 PM

Children of an annulled marriage ARE legitimate

Sorry, the poster has it wrong. Canon 1137 of the Code of Canon Law is very specific on this point: children born in what is known as a "putative" marriage that is later annulled ARE legitimate.

More information.

– July 11, 2012 12:55 PM

Michelle Williams

I think because Jen was so underused (original central love triangle was Joey-Dawson-Jen but became Dawson-Joey-Pacey), that Williams might just do it because read about how her character getting sidelined in the main love triangle kind of hurt her ego so a reunion might help. Also (SPOILER ALERT) Michelle Williams' character died in the series finale so guess they could do it would her.
Amy Argetsinger :

Why'd you have to go ruin it for me? You jerk.

– July 11, 2012 12:55 PM

TomKat

Yep, probably an iron clad pre-nup. And as much as I think the guy is weird, he doesn't seem like the guy to fight over every nikel of child support. She's probably getting something similar to what he's given for his other kids.
Roxanne Roberts :

Suri (and Katie) will never have to worry about money.

– July 11, 2012 12:56 PM

Morning Joe

I never watch that show, but it was on this morning. Do people actually watch it to be informed, or is it more like a parody of a sitcom, you know, like Saved By The Bell? It might be the worst "news" show I have ever seen.
Amy Argetsinger :

I only ever watch it ironically, myself. Sort of like "The Bachelor."

– July 11, 2012 12:57 PM

My Favorite Year Again

My folks made me watch it back when we still had family movie night. Don't tell them, but I secretly enjoyed it.

You have good parents.

– July 11, 2012 12:57 PM

Annullment and legitimacy

An annullment looks at the conditions at the time the marriage took place and makes a determination that the marriage was not a valid sacrament. The number of children that may have resulted from the marriage is not important or relevant. There's never a question of the legal/civil validity of the marriage (anyone who gets an annullment also has to get a civil divorce if they want to ever remarry), and since legitimacy and illegitimacy of children relates to the civil marriage, not the sacramental marriage, the Catholic church is more than happy to welcome the children of parents whose marriage was annulled.

More details....

– July 11, 2012 12:57 PM

Relax

The first time I asked, Amy and Roxanne said that they didn't know where Carney grew up, but to ask again next week and then I did and they wrote back "Oops, we forgot about it." When did "Oh, you grew up in Northern Virginia, what's your hometown?" become too personal and creepy to ask?
Amy Argetsinger :

You didn't answer the question. Where in Northern Virginia did you grow up?

– July 11, 2012 12:57 PM

SEVEN LAWYERS

she had more than seven--think of the associates needing billable time! But she's a smart cookie (or has smart cookies advising her!)

Her dad is a lawyer.

– July 11, 2012 12:58 PM

Rielle Hunter

Why are you unable to tell us what is going on in the mind of Rielle Hunter?
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm so flattered to think you think of us as mind-minders. But really---can anyone tell us what was/is going on in the mind of Ms. Hunter? Because I don't have a clue.

– July 11, 2012 1:00 PM

Plants

Just wondering - do people (PR, I guess?) ever approach you and try to plant stories? Have you ever run a story that you suspected later was a plant?
Amy Argetsinger :

You mean, stories that are basically bogus that they're trying to advance for some PR agenda? Yeah, it happens now and then. And I think we've got a pretty good radar for that -- and of course, scrupulous reporting keeps inaccurate stuff out of the paper.

– July 11, 2012 1:01 PM

RE: Peter O'Toole

Mr. O'Toole was not the only notable who lost out to Ben "Gandhi" Kingsley. Paul Newman was nominated for The Verdict. Tough luck to both O'Toole and Newman. Mr. Kingsley was out of this world as Gandhi.
Roxanne Roberts :

Timing is everything at the Oscars. One year there are barely five performances worth nominating in any given category, the next it's chock full of amazing work. A lot of life comes down to luck and timing, once again.

– July 11, 2012 1:02 PM

Group On

I keep getting offers for half priced concert tickets through Group-on types of organizations. Hint to Robin Thicke and Rod Stewart -- if you are having half priced ticket offers, your tickets were probably too expensive to begin with. Enjoyable to which acts totally bit off more than they can chew with venues/prices.
Amy Argetsinger :

I'm having second thoughts about the Rod Stewart concert. I want to go to hear him sing "Every Picture Tells a Story" and "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" and "Dust My Broom" -- but I'd get there and it would be all that cheesy Vegas "classics" stuff he was doing on American Idol a couple years ago, right? Rod Stewart always breaks my heart that way.

– July 11, 2012 1:03 PM

NoVa

First Alexandria, then Reston. Thanks for asking.
Amy Argetsinger :

Okay, good to know. Does it help if I tell you I don't think he grew up in those communities? Also, let me apologize: I always mean to look this up, but come 1 p.m. on Wednesday, it sort of flees from my mind.

– July 11, 2012 1:04 PM

Andy Griffith

With all due respect to your "one friend," Andy was not the best sitcom ever. Very good show, with tons going for it. But best ever, they would have to get past Sam Malone and the gang at Cheers to get that title.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, yeah, I knew you'd say that -- just threw it out there to see if you were paying attention.

– July 11, 2012 1:04 PM

The Beatles

Who was your favorite Beatle?

Ringo. Yours?

– July 11, 2012 1:05 PM

Best sitcom

I would vote for the Dick Van Dyke Show, although I would have happily swapped the kid who played Richie Petrie for Ron Howard, one of the first children on TV who could really act. It was pretty groundbreaking for network TV in the early 60s to devote an episode to a middle aged man going through the bar mitzvah he never had as a 12 year old. (That was Morey Amsterdam as Buddy Sorrell.) There was also the flashback episode where Rob and Laura became convinced they had been given the wrong baby when they left the hospital, only to invite the other couple over to straighten out the mixup--and the other couple happened to be black. (Greg Morris, later of Mission Impossible, was the husband.) Sitcoms didn't do this sort of thing in 1962--but it wasn't "messagey." It was just funny.
Amy Argetsinger :

Just saw little Ronnie Howard in the movie version of  "The Music Man." One of the best child actors ever.

– July 11, 2012 1:06 PM

Katie Holmes and Chris Klein

She was engaged to actor Chris Klein when she meet Tom Cruise. Chris Klein isn't a star today, but in late 1990s between his role in "American Pie" and lead role in teenybopper flicks like "Here on Earth" or "serious drama" such as "We Were Soldiers," he was pretty famous B-list material and he and Holmes did get press attention so she was hardly knew to that pre-Cruise.

Totally different ballgame.

– July 11, 2012 1:07 PM

Katie Holmes

If I remember correctly, her only other relationship was with the guy who played the jock in American Pie. Chris Klein, I think. They had a pretty public Jonas-bros type relationship. In other words, VERY PG. So I guess being wooed by Tom Cruise could come across as a big deal. I don't even really like Tom Cruise (and I'm not famous, and I'm just out of his target age demo), but if he was wooing me, I'd probably have a hard time keeping my head.
Amy Argetsinger :

Hey, sounds like we went to the same not-a-licensed-therapist school.

– July 11, 2012 1:07 PM

Death in 3s

The third celebrity death is Doc Watson.
Amy Argetsinger :

No, he died about five weeks ago.

– July 11, 2012 1:08 PM

Both seem happy, though.

Yeah - but what about us? There was a marriage I believed in.
Amy Argetsinger :

And now you know that there's nothing you can believe in. Sorry!

– July 11, 2012 1:08 PM

Sorry, Amy...

Benny Hill is a comedy sketch show, like Carol Burnett, NOT a sitcom.

Whatever.

– July 11, 2012 1:08 PM

Stalker?

Unless I have a time machine, how can I stalk Jay Carney by knowing his hometown?
Amy Argetsinger :

I'm taking this idea for my next screenplay.

– July 11, 2012 1:09 PM

Ernest Borgnine

Did you know "Ernest Borgnine" was actually his stage name?
Amy Argetsinger :

He was born Ermes Effron Borgnino.

– July 11, 2012 1:11 PM

Katie Holmes acting

Katie Holmes showed some potential in Pieces of April, a movie about reconciling with a dying parent. FWIW, Nicole Kidman didn't hit her acting stride until she left TC. Just saying....
Amy Argetsinger :

That's not true. Nicole Kidman was great in the very scary "Dead Calm," before she ever met Tom Cruise. But then she met him when she was still really young.

– July 11, 2012 1:13 PM

"I'm taking this idea for my next screenplay."

Will Jim Vance figure into the screenplay at all?

Duh, of course.

– July 11, 2012 1:15 PM

Crazy rich guy murder

Any thoughts on this guy who I have never heard of who is mega-rich and his wife and him were being arrested for drugs and it turned out her body was just hanging out in their London mansion?
Amy Argetsinger :

I'm sorry, I have no idea who you're talking about. Did this just break in the past hour? Should I know about this?

– July 11, 2012 1:16 PM

Confirmed bachelors

Now that Barney Frank is no longer a confirmed bachelor, are there any out there? I guess George Clooney, but I don't think he qualifies in the traditional sense? Anderson Cooper? Tom Cruise?
Roxanne Roberts :

Actually, the once-married George Clooney is a perfect example IF you mean an eligible man who seems to enjoy the company of women in all ways---but not enough to marry.  So George is still on the top of my list because Tom will probably get married again.

Chatters, hope you all are enjoying this perfect summer weather -- before we get slammed by another heat wave or power outage. Quick, send your tips and sightings to reliablesource@washpost.com. Next week, everyone!

– July 11, 2012 1:17 PM