June 13, 2012

The Reliable Source Live

Host: Reliable Source

Reliable Source

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Send us tips at reliablesource@washpost.com; bookmark us at Reliable Source and follow us at twitter.com/reliablesource.

Washington Post columnist Amy Argetsinger was online Wednesday, June 13, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Good morning, everyone. The format for the chat has changed a little bit on our end as of today, so please have any patience through any glitches. Some topics on our radar this week:

Poor John Bryson! The least famous Cabinet secretary is suddenly a news story, but only because of his bizarre traffic accident. Is Commerce an inherently less cool, less interesting Cabinet post than the rest?

Not all Occupiers are psyched about the big PR prize won by a fancy PR agency for work promoting Occupy Wall Street.

Betty White meets Obama, orders a Grey Goose on the rocks at the Palm.

Go ahead, John Boehner, tell us what you really think about Luke Russert. And other fun moments from the RTCA dinner, the last media-political banquet of the season.

Mark Shriver on his father, and why good people are sometimes better than great people in Washington.

Who knew the president of Estonia was such a sassy tweeter?

Stories not in our column but good reads:  The fake British spy who conned Washington . . . The sad, sad RFK Jr. divorce files . . . The sexy Iraq emails between a reporter and a government source . . .

In other news: High-level catfight in Paris! . . . McConaughey weds babymama. . . Steny Hoyer's daughter comes out. . . Lauryn Hill has a lot to say about those unpaid taxes . . . Our long national nightmare is over, as Gilbert Arenas drops suit against "Basketball Wives."

Where are the Salahis?

Yes, I know they have gone their separate ways many months ago. But, having gone from being dandelions, sprouting up everywhere, to total disappearance from public view, worries me. I don't miss them, but fear they may turn up living on my block as part of a Witness Protection Program. Help!
Amy Argetsinger :

Fortunately, I still have a Google News  Alert set up for "Salahi," so I can assure you they're still out there, doing their thing, albeit separately now. Apparently Michaele and Neal Schon turned up at a Rock of Ages premiere somewhere, but I confess to not having clicked on it.

– June 13, 2012 12:10 PM

Lindsay Lohan

She is still finding trouble whenever she gets behind the wheel. Lying to the police is not a good idea
Roxanne Roberts :

I do not understand why her managers don't insist on a driver for her. She can afford it and it allows her to party all she wants, with no charges or accidents. This is just stupid -- one more incident and no one will hire her, even if she's not breaking the law.

– June 13, 2012 12:10 PM

Love Shack That's Where Its At

Does anyone else have a problem with references to Geoge Clooney's Lake Como estate as a "love nest?"
Roxanne Roberts :

Nope. It's not the size of the estate, it's the emotion.

– June 13, 2012 12:11 PM

Edwards trial

Don't you think it is weird that the Flirty Juror hasn't given any interviews? She clearly isn't shy...
Amy Argetsinger :

She hasn't, has she? That's a loss.

– June 13, 2012 12:12 PM

What's up with those French women...

who have slept with the current President? At least Carl Bruni had class.
Roxanne Roberts :

I feel a debate coming on. The interesting question is why so many of these women find their presidents so sexy.

– June 13, 2012 12:12 PM

Did you see Camila Alves wedding gown?

(You know, Matthew McConaughey's signficant other.) Sleeves! What did you think?
Amy Argetsinger :

Gosh, here's another story I didn't click on. But I will now.

Okay.

Sleeves are the new thing, you know. We've already discussed the looming backlash to strapless wedding dresses. From the Slate story, I learned that designers push strapless dresses because they're cheap to make -- so I guess sleeved dresses are a subconscious status symbol of wealth now.

– June 13, 2012 12:15 PM

Olympic royalty

I'm a little embarrassed to know this, but how could you forget the prince of Denmark, who was in Australia sailing with the Danish Olympic team when he met his now wife, a regular commoner, in a bar? That story stoked every burning ember of my childhood princess dreams. Proof that it could happen to me!
Roxanne Roberts :

Ah, yes. Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary. They met at the "Slip Inn"in Sydney---according to the all-knowing Wiki, he introduced himself as "Fred."

– June 13, 2012 12:17 PM

I love chat day.

That is all.

I'm so glad.

– June 13, 2012 12:17 PM

Lindsay Lohan - can she afford it?

You say she can afford a driver but considering all her legal fees and lack of work I think she might not be able to. However, I'm sure she has minions who would volunteer to drive her around.
Roxanne Roberts :

If she's trashing a leased Porsche, she can afford a driver.

– June 13, 2012 12:18 PM

UVA Coup d'etat

What to make of the UVA situation? It sounds as if this may be as much about the Board of Visitors as it is about the President. No matter how you look at it, the timing and handling are odd!
Amy Argetsinger :

Who knows?  The revelation that this was both abrupt and a unanimous decision by the board makes it all the more mysterious. If Sullivan had been wildly incompetent, there would have been plenty of other people in her circle (beyond just the board) in a position to complain publicly about her -- but we haven't heard a peep. Today's story about the UVa board makes the point that unless they reveal what the heck is going on, it will be very hard for them to recruit a new president.

– June 13, 2012 12:19 PM

Gilbert Arenas

Good for Laura Govan - after 4 kids, a reality tv show and a couple of lawsuits - she has finally gotten Gilbert Arenas to officially marry her!
Amy Argetsinger :

Engaged still -- and planning a wedding, apparently -- but not married yet. Those sweet crazy kids; if they can't make it work, who among us can?

– June 13, 2012 12:20 PM

Reille Hunter

Who is going to bother to read her book?
Roxanne Roberts :

Oh, please. Buy it? Maybe not. Read it? Catnip! Inside the mind of crazy mistress in the biggest political sex scandal in years? I'll have to hide it from Amy if I want to read a word first---but I bet she'll get it before I get a chance.

– June 13, 2012 12:21 PM

equestrian team

I didn't know such a thing existed. Was wondering why we just don't get all those awesome Kentucky Derby jockeys as our team?
Roxanne Roberts :

Because it's not racing. It's jumping and dressage---the other horsey sports.

– June 13, 2012 12:22 PM

Rock of Ages

Is that something I will be wanting to see?
Amy Argetsinger :

I confess to having some curiosity about it, based on the trailers. But after having read some early reviews (very negative) and seen a limp preview (in the commercials running with the delightful "Bunheads"), I have lost all my interest. Is there any summer movie I want to see? That's my question. I'm still angry about "The Avengers." Big waste of time.

– June 13, 2012 12:23 PM

Heck no! They run NOAA, which means they are the first to know when a tornado's approachin'. NOAA also has a simulated tidal pool in front of its building that replicates the tides against rocks. It is astounding relaxing. And, Commerce is the only agency I know of off the top of my head that has a public aquarium in its headquarters!
Amy Argetsinger :

I did not know about the simulated tidal pool. Can you surf it?

– June 13, 2012 12:24 PM

Is Newsweek insane?

That story about RFK Jr and his alcoholic wife who committed suicide was pure tabloid trash. How on earth does a NEWS magazine justify that level of coverage over these people who are only known because of the last name? Does Tina Brown not have any editorial (parts) at all?
Amy Argetsinger :

I think the justification is that a lot of people are interested in clicking on it. I don't know. I find myself wondering why the troubles of the unfamous wife of a third-generation Kennedy who has never sought public office should be such a news story. But I also can't argue with the fact that rich, famous families make for compelling sagas. I don't know.

– June 13, 2012 12:25 PM

Reille Hunter

I'll read the book for the pictures.

Ha!

– June 13, 2012 12:25 PM

Basketball WIves

So can that show now be cancelled without the cloud of litigation over it?
Amy Argetsinger :

Season Two of "Basketball Wives: L.A." is on the way! Who knows, maybe Gilbert will appear in this one. NOTHING WOULD SURPRISE ME ANYMORE.

– June 13, 2012 12:26 PM

PM Cameron

I have no kids, so I obviously am in no place to judge - but how hard/easy is it to leave a kid behind?
Amy Argetsinger :

Didn't we see this kind of thing happen all the time on the Brady Bunch? Hard for me to relate, of course, but maybe when you've got multiple kids and multiple cars and a security detail offering a false sense of, well, security. . . . David and Samantha Cameron accidentally leave daughter at a pub

– June 13, 2012 12:27 PM

It's jumping and dressage---the other horsey sports

Sounds like a horrible `sport'
Roxanne Roberts :

Not really---it's classic riding skills and horse ballet. As a general rule, racing is much tougher on the horses. Unless your objection is whether it should be in the Olympics at all, which is a different debate.

– June 13, 2012 12:28 PM

The French President

I find him un-shnoggable, but I find DSK the same way and that doesn't seem to stop a lot of French women...
Roxanne Roberts :

You don't have to be handsome to be sexy.

– June 13, 2012 12:28 PM

Did you watch the Tony Awards?

Or, as my husband calls them, "The 3-Hour Infomercial from NYC to Get Us to Come Spend Our Money"? I enjoyed them this year, but they did do some weird camera-stuff, and have the casts of shows that won stand on stairs to the side. NPH (Neil Patrick Harris) was terrific, though.
Amy Argetsinger :

Sorry I missed it. Herewith, links to about all the Tonys coverage you could possibly hope for.

– June 13, 2012 12:29 PM

John Bryson

Hope all is well with him after two accidents
Roxanne Roberts :

Me, too. News reports say alcohol or drugs were not involved, so it may be medical. We'll find out soon enough.

– June 13, 2012 12:30 PM

Stanley Cup

Yay Kings! Woot! This is celeb news, right?
Roxanne Roberts :

At least those Johhny-come-lately stars in the good seats for Game Six.

– June 13, 2012 12:30 PM

Muffie Brandon Cabot

Is that not the absolutely most perfect name for a White House social secretary?
Amy Argetsinger :

It is the most perfect ever? Advocates of Letitia Baldrige might disagree. But it's definitely a reasonable debate.

Jeremy Bernard speaks! First male White House social secretary on the night his job was on the line.

– June 13, 2012 12:31 PM

Hunter book?

What is THIS about? Really? I mean, really?

Because (let me guess):

1) Johnny always loved her and....

2) The press misrepresented their love story and ...

3) She wants the world to understand the spiritual bond that got them to this point.

– June 13, 2012 12:33 PM

You don't have to be handsome to be sexy

That is true, but you still have to be sexy to be sexy... Just saying.
Roxanne Roberts :

Also true. But you can't tell from pictures. Sometimes sexy is just a look or an offhand remark. Plus chemistry.

– June 13, 2012 12:34 PM

Tony Awards

We didnt care for the Tony Awards either, Signed, The Nielson Ratings
Roxanne Roberts :

And the CBS executives and advertisers.

– June 13, 2012 12:35 PM

Lindsay

According to other reports I've read, she was provided a car and driver by that project she's working on. But for whatever reason, little miss independent rented a Porsche. Oh, and BTW, way to go - throwing your assistant under the bus. What a jerk she is! (among other things)
Roxanne Roberts :

Brat is thye polite term.

– June 13, 2012 12:36 PM

"Gone With the Wind" cast

So, are any of the rest of them still alive?
Amy Argetsinger :

Why, yes, indeed -- I'm glad you asked. Most of you probably know that Olivia De Havilland, who played Melanie Wilkes, is still alive; she'll be 96 in a couple weeks. But so is the formidable Alicia Rhett, a stage actress who made her debut in GWTW as India Wilkes and then never made another movie again; she's 97. Also, a couple actors from smaller roles (Mary Anderson, who played the slatternly Maybelle Merriweather; child actor Mickey Kuhn, who played Melanie's son).

Ann Rutherford, actress in ‘Gone With the Wind’ and Andy Hardy series, dies at 94

– June 13, 2012 12:37 PM

Jaccarding is not the same as brine injection

Jaccarding using small knives. Brine injection uses needles that inject the brine or marinade directly into the center of the meat while the needle is in the meat. Brine injection needles also do not provide the same tenderization as does jaccarding (also referred to as cubing).
Roxanne Roberts :

Whoa---honey, you may be in the wrong chat. Either that, or you've been reading way too much "Fifty Shades of Gray" and oversharing.

– June 13, 2012 12:38 PM

McGurk-Chon

One thing I have not really seen explained - how did these "racy emails" between them surface? Who leaked them?
Amy Argetsinger :

They just showed up on Flickr and other sites, posted anonymously. And yeah, that's what I'm dying to know! Who would have access and motive? No easy answer, actually, when you've got this level of romantic and professional entanglement.

– June 13, 2012 12:38 PM

Jumping and dressage---the other horsey sports

I believe that the equestrian events are one of the few sports in the Olympics where men and women compete directly against one another. The other may be sailing.
Roxanne Roberts :

Sounds about right----chatters? Any experts out there?

– June 13, 2012 12:39 PM

JR Ewing

How long until the new best TV show in America is on?
Amy Argetsinger :

Eight and a half hours. Be there or be square or at least program your DVR.

TNT’s ‘Dallas’: A satisfying roll in the sentimental hay

– June 13, 2012 12:39 PM

The Sandusky Trial

I have to say that these men, testifying to what happened to them, are my heroes. This has to be so hard for them, but they are taking their lives back and holding this guy accountable for the damage he did.
Amy Argetsinger :

Awful stuff, isn't it? Testifying must be a nightmare.

– June 13, 2012 12:40 PM

Gio Gonzalez is single and looking... on twitter

The chatters who are curious about the relationship status of the Nats players might be interested in this:  Link

Amy Argetsinger :

Wonder how that's working out for him.

– June 13, 2012 12:40 PM

Is anyone else sad about the David Arquette/Courtney Cox divorce?

At least they didn't jump into it too quickly, but waited a while. And what about Kobe Bryant's marital situation? I'm just confused by that.
Amy Argetsinger :

My reaction to the Arquette/Cox divorce filing was sort of like my reaction to the Denise Richards/Richie Sambora breakup: "Wait, that didn't already happen?" . . . TMZ had some cryptic and unsourced report that Vanessa Bryant has stopped her divorce proceedings so they can reconcile, but I haven't seen anything more on that.

– June 13, 2012 12:42 PM

Queen's granddaughter

Being the Queen's granddaughter, does that help in getting on the team? Or is this something where whomever is fastest, or however you judge a horse person, gets on the team?
Roxanne Roberts :

Honestly, probably both. Like many other sports, there's subjective scoring and the judges know who she is. She's actually a very good rider, but there's probably one competitor who thinks he/she didn't make the team because Zara got the spot instead.

– June 13, 2012 12:43 PM

Summer movies

I admit I might see Magic Mike
Amy Argetsinger :

That's the one where Channing Tatum plays himself in his stripper days, but directed by Steven Soderbergh? Trippy.

– June 13, 2012 12:44 PM

Roxanne on Wait, Wait...

Why was PJ allowed to steal so much of your time in the last round? I was practically yelling at the radio for him to stop talking.
Roxanne Roberts :

It's fine, because he was right --and very funny-- about the cows. :)

– June 13, 2012 12:45 PM

Sandusky

Don't you just want to kick his lawyer in his shins. I have no doubt the lawyer will be one of the most hated, vilified people in America by the end of this.
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, listen: Everyone's entitled to a legal defense, and everyone is assumed innocent until proven guilty.

– June 13, 2012 12:45 PM

John Edwards

Is he just plain delusional to imply that he would ever have a chance at elected office again? Or was that just face saving. I hope he falls into a bottomless pit.
Roxanne Roberts :

Zero chance of elected office, and he's crazy-crazy if he thinks he does. But he didn't say "elected office"-- just that God had plans for him. I think he wants some kind of public profile to restore his legacy. The only thing I want to see is if he and Rielle end up as a couple.

– June 13, 2012 12:48 PM

Speaking of the LA Kings

Watching the game the other night and they included live crowd shots of all the famous people in the crowd and there was LL Cool J - looking like LL Cool J should and there were people on either side of him laughing at what he was saying and it was so sad because it was so obviously fake, sychophant laughter. Which is sad, because I can't imagine anything would ever come out of his mouth that wasn't sincerely delightful and, second, it was such an example of how horribly transparent and awful "LA types" really are.
Amy Argetsinger :

1. "obviously fake, sycophant laughter"

2. "I can't imagine anything would ever come out of his mouth that wasn't sincerely delightful"

You realize you're doing a lot of projecting, right? If you automatically assume anything this famous stranger says is delightful, don't you imagine he probably has the same effect on the people near him? The laughter might be genuine, *and* he might be totally boring.

– June 13, 2012 12:49 PM

Sigh.

It's a double-edged sword when horse sports are in the news. On the up side, there's a chance of bringing more people into the sport. On the downside, there's this big misconception that anything involving horses means snobby rich people. In reality, we're people who spend a lot of time wearing dirty horse-drool stained clothes and catering to our hayburning 1200-lb. pets. Lots of us don't go on vacations or buy nice cars because extra money is for horses. There are plenty of obscure Olympic sports, equestrian sports aren't the only ones.
Roxanne Roberts :

I love the horse drool image. And I think it's easier to fall for horses that sailboats---a less cuddly money-pit.

– June 13, 2012 12:50 PM

Dallas

It's coming back, really? How can they do that with Barbara Bel Geddes no longer with us?
Amy Argetsinger :

Can't they just sub in Donna Reed again?

Fun fact: Did you know that Barbara Bel Geddes was only nine years older than Larry Hagman?

– June 13, 2012 12:51 PM

Queen's granddaughter

Zara's mother, Princess Anne, was on the British Olympic equestrian team in 1976. Trivium: the Princess was the only athlete at the Montreal Summer Olympics who was not required to take a sex-determination test (they were concerned back then that the Soviet bloc might've been fobbing off some actual males as female athletes in the brawn sports).
Roxanne Roberts :

I wonder why she got a pass. There must be some reason beyond her bloodline. Hmm.

– June 13, 2012 12:53 PM

Henry Hill

RIP Henry Hill. The inspiration for the movie "Goodfellas"
– June 13, 2012 12:53 PM

Bacon Sundae

Is anyone going to Burger King to try the bacon sundae?

Duh. Yes.

– June 13, 2012 12:54 PM

Rielle Hunter's book

I am counting on you two to do the "We read it so you don't have to" synopsis. You have saved me lots of time and money over the years through this service. What givers!
Amy Argetsinger :

SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK.

– June 13, 2012 12:54 PM

Flirty Juror

Sure she did. I saw her on NBC and somewhere else. She said she wasn't flirting, isn't married, and (if I recall correctly) is a Republican. Even in the interviews, she came across as giggly, so I could see how she might have been (mis-)interpreted as flirtatious.

Bummed I missed this.

– June 13, 2012 12:54 PM

Betty White

Still great to see Betty White getting her Grey Goose on
– June 13, 2012 12:56 PM

Bridezillas

Just read the Slate article on wedding dresses. My takeaway was that the author is every reason I cannot stand the bridal industry. She finds a dress she likes, only to discover it is a bridesmaid dress and therefore unwearable for a bride?? Who cares! Buy the dress you like, make it your own.
Amy Argetsinger :

Ha. Is this your polite way of saying "every reason I cannot stand brides"?

– June 13, 2012 12:56 PM

Interest in the problems of the rich Kennedys

It confirms that money doesn't buy happiness. We need to know this, because even though most of us will never have that kind of wealth, you always think that if you did you problems would be solved. Not so, obviously. So that's part of the reason we go for these stories. But I really don't understand why the divorce stuff is relevant now that the poor woman is gone.
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm guessing it's part of the bitter family spilt that started with the divorce and ended with Mary's suicide. There are lots of accusations and blame, and Bobby is trying to get his side of the story out. But it's terrible for their children to see the two sides of their family go to war.

– June 13, 2012 12:58 PM

Bryce Harper

He's awesome but I don't think the Reliable Source will ever be able to interview him. I just read over on the Sports Bog that he doesn't answer "clown questions". That just about takes away everything Amy would ever ask.
Roxanne Roberts :

So not fair to Amy! I ask clown questions every day.

– June 13, 2012 12:59 PM

Casey Anthony on Piers Morgan

So sad I didn't watch that. Such upstanding people.

Ewwww.

– June 13, 2012 1:01 PM

Anne only Olympian who was not required to take a sex-determination test

That's because it's perfectly obvious she's half woman, half horse.

Why the long face?

– June 13, 2012 1:03 PM

What you cover and why?

First off, I have to say I love Reliable Source -- it's the first page I flip to. That said, why do you include items about the love triangles/drama about foreign dignitaries? I'd understand if it happened while they were visiting the DC area, but frankly, I don't care what the French president's girlfriend does to his ex. Also, is the sighting of a politician in his or her neighborhood grocery store/restaurant really worth the inch of print column? I do enjoy reading the local establishments celebrities frequent. Thanks.

Amy Argetsinger :

We don't expect you to love every item in the column. No seriously -- not being flippant here. We are doing a general interest column in a general interest newspaper, which means attempting to entertain and distract a wide array of readers. If you personally loved every item in the column, that would mean we were probably boring some other constituency to tears. Personally, the catfight between the French president's current and former ladies cracked me up -- and it's also a legitimate (if soap-opera-ish) bit of news that didn't otherwise have an outlet in our paper. . . . As for "Hey, isn't that," not sure if you had a particular one in mind -- but we almost never run sightings of local politicians in local settings, unless it's someone at a very high level or if there's something unique about the circumstances. And the inch count is, by design for that feature, minimal and marginal.

– June 13, 2012 1:04 PM

Flirty juror

I heard her talk. I think she was boring. So I think no one paid her her to talk.

Ah.

– June 13, 2012 1:04 PM

Walter Cronkite

Have either of you read his new bio?

No. You?

– June 13, 2012 1:04 PM

Lindsey Lohan

Isn't there going to be a point where movie studios can't get insurance on her in order to cast her. Personally, as someone who works in insurance, I'm shocked, shocked that point hasn't already passed.
Roxanne Roberts :

Me too, but she and her lawyers PROMISED PROMISED that she's changed and all that bad stuff was behind her and that she deserved a 274th chance.

– June 13, 2012 1:05 PM

Living GWTW?

What about Casablanca? Anyone left?
Amy Argetsinger :

Yes. Madeleine LeBeau, who played Yvonne (this lady), the sad French hooker at the bar. She's 89, and reportedly the last cast member left.

– June 13, 2012 1:06 PM

Larry Hagman

How many organs have been donated to him?
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, there are no original parts left.

– June 13, 2012 1:06 PM

Wonderful Olivia de Havilland story

When my husband and I went to Paris for our 20th wedding anniversary, he (a big fan of Captain Blood and Robin Hood) found her address on the internet and wrote her to say we'd be there. No answer, no surprise. So we made our way there one rainy day, no answr to the knock, no surprise. But it was lovely to see her home and imagine her life in that neighborhood. Fast forward 3 weeks, when a handwritten note on elegant blue stationary shows up in our mail box, apologizing that she'd been ill and unable to meet us but congratulating us on our anniversary. Needless to say, we framed it.
Amy Argetsinger :

That's lovely. You see, a bit of gentle-stalking pays off.

– June 13, 2012 1:07 PM

Donna Reed

She's gone too, right? And Howard Keel, and obviously Jim Davis. How about the guy who played Cliff Barnes?
Amy Argetsinger :

Donna Reed is long gone.  .  . . But apparently Ken Kercheval will be back on the new show as Cliff Barnes, believe it or not.

– June 13, 2012 1:08 PM

Living Casablanca

I am positive Humphry Bogart is alive! He just starred a commercial a few years back!
Amy Argetsinger :

Going on tour with the Tupac hologram, is he?

– June 13, 2012 1:08 PM

"Casey Anthony on Piers Morgan"

I just threw up in my mouth a little...
Roxanne Roberts :

Today's Hell game: You're in a small room (in Hell) and the endless loop on the TV is Piers/Casey and an episode of Maury Povich's baby-daddy screamfests.  And you CAN'T TURN IT OFF. I'm sure there are other shows that also fit the eternal damnation programming bill.

– June 13, 2012 1:09 PM

Jeb vs. Grover

Who wins in a Jeb Bush vs. Grover Norquist smackdown?

Grover. Totally.

– June 13, 2012 1:09 PM

Avengers Hate

That was a four-star superhero movie. Why go to a musical if you don't like singing and dancing?
Amy Argetsinger :

I liked "Iron Man." I liked the second of the two Christian Bale Batmans. I liked the second Tobey Maguire Spiderman. And of course, the first couple of Christopher Reeve Supermans were sublime. "Avengers" was just a jumble of CGI nonsense, occasionally enlived by Mark Ruffalo's malaise.

– June 13, 2012 1:10 PM

Arlington Gay

Not a fair celebrity sighting since it was a publicized book tour (and the Post already has an excellent interview with the subject), but my partner and I ate at Graffiato last Saturday for Top Chef's Angelo Sosa's tasting menu. I bought his cook book and he came to the table to sign it. He spent MUCH more time chatting than I expected and he was quite charming. I could have talked food with him for hours.
Amy Argetsinger :

Here's that Angelo Sosa interview.

– June 13, 2012 1:11 PM

So we made our way there one rainy day, no answr to the knock, no surprise.

You really should discourage your readers from this. It is a very easy way to end up either arrested for trespassing or put in some very extensive network of private investagator shared files of people who go to far to harass stars. Its one thing to approach them at a restaurant, or to write them a note requesting an audience. It is fundamentally not okay or advisable to bother them (or anyone, really) unexpectedly at home.

Yeah, fair point.

– June 13, 2012 1:12 PM

What I learned today . . .

Burger King has something called a bacon sundae? Yep, that is practical information.
Roxanne Roberts :

Because, really, who hasn't said, "What would make my life perfect is a bacon sundae."

– June 13, 2012 1:14 PM

Horse Olympics

I've never understood why showjumping isn't more popular - dressage, now, the judging of horse-ballet can be obscure - but "how fast can they get around the jumps course without knocking anything down" isn't very complicated and is at least as exciting as all this gymnastics nonsense.

Agreed.

– June 13, 2012 1:15 PM

Food chat

Sure there's a difference between jaccarding and using brine needles, but I prefer to use a javelin to pierce the meat.
Amy Argetsinger :

What's wrong with a good old fashioned harpoon?

– June 13, 2012 1:15 PM

UVA, et al.

Nowadays, the main thing that boards of trustees (or regents) at colleges and universities care about in their school's president is this: how much money did you raise in donations in the past 12 months? Alas and alack.
Amy Argetsinger :

And it seems UVa fell a little short of its goal last year. Surprising.

– June 13, 2012 1:17 PM

NOAA Tidal Pool

It is up in Silver Spring and it is very cool. Alas too small to surf in. And, honestly, since the waves are fierce, not safe to swim in either.
Amy Argetsinger :

Aw, that sounds like a dare.

– June 13, 2012 1:18 PM

You know what goes well with a bacon sundae?

A spicy nacho taco
Amy Argetsinger :

I've heard good things about those.

– June 13, 2012 1:20 PM

Joan Rivers

I remember there was a time in America when she would eventually take over for Johnny Carson as America's late night television host. It seems like it was so long ago in some sort of alternate universe that kids these days would never understand.
Roxanne Roberts :

Almost quaint---pre-Internet, Twitter, iPhone, reality tv.  We're old; she's older. And yet Joan is still out there working. That counts for something, I think.

Chatters, enough fun for one day. We've got a column to write, and miles to go before we file. Send your tips/sightings to reliablesource@washpost.com. Talk next week.

– June 13, 2012 1:21 PM