October 16, 2013

The Reliable Source Live

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, October 16, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the weekly Reliable Source live discussion. As promised/threatened, I'm still helping out Rox in this cruise-director/salon-keeper role for the time being, though I've (mostly) evacuated the RS column. . . Which means that I'll probably just hang around here for a few more weeks and than abruptly vanish without saying goodbye. Sound good?

Meanwhile, some topics on our radar lately:

A very quiet divorce for Joe Scarborough and his wife.

Captain Phillips does celebvocate duty, talking up Merchant Marine subsidy cuts.

Charlie Hunnam gets the hell out of "50 Shades of Gray."

Giuliana Rancic takes her breast-cancer awareness message to. . . a casino?

Look who's back, and creepier than ever! Erik Todd Dellums on "Homeland."

Also: Rielle Hunter's apology. . . Hillary Clinton's parking ticket. . . Julian Assange scolds Benedict Cumberbatch. . . and much much more!

White House vegetable garden

The White House vegetable garden is weedy because of federal employee furloughs due to the government shutdown. Mrs. Obama has drastically curtailed her schedule for the same reason. It seems obvious that maybe Mrs. O could weed the vegetable garden herself in her free time. I do hope the First Family is still eating healthfully and not reduced to fast food deliveries because of staff cutbacks.
Amy Argetsinger :

Honestly, I'm surprised no one in the White House office of communications had thought of that. Then again, maybe that's what happens when your PR people get furloughed. Anyway, indeed, it's true, the White House kitchen garden has been overtaken by weeds and wild mushrooms, reports our colleague Krissah Thompson.

– October 16, 2013 12:06 PM

Woodbridge

RR - did you see the story on cats yesterday in the Health section?
Roxanne Roberts :

I did. My cats adore me, which is not something I can say about anyone else. What can I say?

– October 16, 2013 12:07 PM

downtown

About Josh Duggar - the thing that gets me is that he has younger siblings that he will most likely have nothing in common with. At some point, someone is going to lose track of whose kid is whose and what their relationship is to everyone else ("Are you my son, nephew, cousin, brother?")
Amy Argetsinger :

That's not an unusual dynamic in large families. Not to say it's a bad one, just that it's a different dynamic.

Josh Duggar on his Family Research Council job, new life in Washington

– October 16, 2013 12:08 PM

Joe Scarborough

Didnt even realize he had a divorce. That was a quiet one.
Roxanne Roberts :

It's not something he wanted to advertise, clearly.

– October 16, 2013 12:10 PM

Rielle Hunter

Now she apologizes? She is just sorry that her affair with John Edwards was discovered, not for the cheating itself.
Amy Argetsinger :

Having read her book, I don't think she's sorry that her affair was discovered -- she kind of has the shout-my-love-from-the-rooftops kind of personality. She's probably legitimately sorry for the mess she made of her life. Rielle, sigh.

– October 16, 2013 12:11 PM

Amy

Glad to see Amy cannot stay away.
Roxanne Roberts :

She loves the chats. It's her favorite part of the week.

– October 16, 2013 12:12 PM

Nirvana

Nirvana being nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I must be getting old.
Amy Argetsinger :

Artists become eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after releasing their first record so. . . yes, you are getting old. We all are.

– October 16, 2013 12:12 PM

Oxymoron

Kardashian obtains quiet divorce
Amy Argetsinger :

Kardashians only do noisy divorces.

– October 16, 2013 12:12 PM

Duggar - Large Family

I'm from one of those large families - I have two uncles who are younger than I am. Believe me, they always enjoyed introducing me as "my niece" when we were younger. For some reason they seemed to think it was the height of hilarity. So, I'm pretty sure everyone will remember who's who. On the other hand, actual counts of cousins are hard, though.
Roxanne Roberts :

Not to mention gift exchanges. But it probably prevents those awkward silences at Thanksgiving dinners.

– October 16, 2013 12:16 PM

RIELLE HUNTER Apology

I read it on HuffPost, and although I really don't like her, I thought it was one of the better apologies I've seen. She doesn't make excuses, pretty much that she was really selfish at that time in her life and didn't care how her actions affected other people.
Amy Argetsinger :

True. I got the feeling that she is genuinely sorry, but that it's hard for her to articulate or break down exactly what she wanted to convey.

– October 16, 2013 12:19 PM

50 Shades of Grey

That movie has "giant train wreck" written all over it.
Roxanne Roberts :

Hard to know---so many rabid fans, so many opinions. But it doesn't matter if millions pay to go see it and THEN say how much they hate it.

– October 16, 2013 12:20 PM

Robin Thicke and Paula Patton

Have been together since they were 15, so they probably understand each other very well.
Roxanne Roberts :

Looks like it. I always want a celebrity marriage to work. And can I say she looks amazing?

– October 16, 2013 12:21 PM

Rielle Hunter (revised book).

Apparently, and I didn't read the book, Rielle updated her books with notes about where she went wrong by annotating the original book . I think it has been released on Kindle only. My feeling is she is only doing this to make John Edwards happy - maybe as a condition to getting hitched to him.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yes, she has followed up "What Really Happened: John Edwards, Our Daughter and Me" with "In Hindsight, What Really Happened: The Revised Edition: John Edwards, Our Daughter and Me."

– October 16, 2013 12:23 PM

Lunch time on Wednesday

What will Amy do with her new found noon hour? (B4 the wee one arrives)
Amy Argetsinger :

I don't know. Have lunch?

– October 16, 2013 12:23 PM

Kim & Bruce's divorce

I have a feeling his very bad botox/plastic surgery made it hard to look at him every day - I know I can't stand it.
Roxanne Roberts :

I saw the show for the first time last week. Yikes. I just don't understand what he was thinking.

– October 16, 2013 12:24 PM

Keanu Reeves

Saw him on Jimmy Fallon, wearing a wedding ring. However, no site mentions a wife. What's the deal?
Amy Argetsinger :

Who knows -- he's a pretty secretive guy. There are some vague tabloid reports that he married a girlfriend named Autumn MacIntosh a year or so ago. . . . Just saw a preview for his new movie. I appreciate the fact that the guy just never ages. He looks the same as he did 20 years ago.

– October 16, 2013 12:27 PM

Halloween Costume

Still waiting to hear about Amy's Halloween costume.
Amy Argetsinger :

I still don't understand why you think there is one, or that it would be particularly interesting if there was.

– October 16, 2013 12:27 PM

Rielle

Rielle apologizing for writing a book by writing another book is my favorite story today.

The irrespressible Rielle.

– October 16, 2013 12:31 PM

Street art

Did anyone here pick up some cheap Banksy art in NY recently?
Roxanne Roberts :

Missed it -- but really, I can pick up a canvas and some spray paint at Michael's and pretend I was there.

– October 16, 2013 12:31 PM

Update?

I have been away from the chat for a bit of time . . . where is Amy going?
Amy Argetsinger :

Leaving the Reliable Source beat now that I'm too cumbersomely pregnant to blog all day and party all night. Am due in December.

– October 16, 2013 12:32 PM

Hunter's book

Did it really (really) sell all that well that we needed a revised version? It's not like a textbook where there was a new scientific discovery and you needed to update the scientific community?
Roxanne Roberts :

It got a lot of attention but not much momentum after the first week or so. I think this is her publisher's way of trying to squeeze a few more sales out of that stone.

– October 16, 2013 12:33 PM

Bruce Jenner

Bruce Jenner actually underwent plastic surgery to correct his previous plastic surgery. He should have just grown old gracefully.
Roxanne Roberts :

So should a lot of people.

– October 16, 2013 12:33 PM

Rielle

I read her Huffington apology. I want to believe in redemption. But it's really hard to believe that this woman is capable of doing anything at all that's not self-serving. In this case, another shot at selling a crap book. Disappear already! What do you think Cate Edwards must make of all this?
Amy Argetsinger :

I don't know, but I'm guessing that Rielle is not the person in this equation who has disappointed John Edwards's daughter the most.

– October 16, 2013 12:34 PM

More on Keanu Reeves

You're right about him never aging - yet, he doesn't appear to be doing anything to make it like that. Bruce Jenner might want to be his friend.
Amy Argetsinger :

I'm sure Keanu is the undead or otherwise genetically blessed. The rest of us have nothing to learn from him; he's an anomaly.

– October 16, 2013 12:35 PM

Gwynnie

Were either of you contacted to comment in the coming Vanity Fair story on Gwyneth Paltrow? Sounds like it won't be the most flattering view of the Goop Princess.
Roxanne Roberts :

Nope -- and no reason they would care what Washington writers think about her because...I don't really care about her. Just another pretty actress trying to extend to shelf life. Not that interesting.

– October 16, 2013 12:35 PM

Amy hanging around

is great, since she is the Dancing With the Stars expert!
Amy Argetsinger :

Wasn't Captain Richard Phillips's Macarena great last night?

– October 16, 2013 12:35 PM

Weeding the garden

When my city-born and city-breed parents bought a single-family home in the suburbans (I was 7 at the time), one of the first things that they did was plant a kitchen garden in the backyard. For my mother, it was a great change from trying to grow tomato plants on the fire-escape in the old apartment. My sister, brother, and I spent MANY hours after school and the weekend weeding, sowing, and harvesting in that garden, which (based on the photos I've seen) was larger than the one that is at the White House. Sasha and Malia need to spent some time in that garden, rather than just watching federal employees do all the work. Given that I learned to appreciate the value of local food that you spent hours slaving over, I'm surprised to find out that the Obamas don't have their own children working in the garden. I made me think that the White House kitchen garden was more for show and photo ops than a real family venture. I'm a little disappointed.
Amy Argetsinger :

A photo op? I'm shocked by such an assertion!

– October 16, 2013 12:36 PM

R&R Hall of Fame

Nirvana being up for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame made me feel a little old. Being prescribed reading glasses immediately afterward made me feel ancient. Related: can you believe that Peter Gabriel isn't in the Hall of Fame already? Genesis got inducted a few years ago, but it's crazy that Gabriel is just now getting recognized. At least he was nominated before Phil Collins...
Amy Argetsinger :

Okay, I'm going to start a fight here by maintaining that "Sledgehammer" doesn't actually hold up that well. It was a great video, which blinded us all to the fact that it's a tedious song.

– October 16, 2013 12:37 PM

Oreos

New study says they are as addictive as cocaine. Discuss.
Roxanne Roberts :

I stopped believing these studies years ago. Cheaper, yummier and you can eat them at work. Winner.

– October 16, 2013 12:38 PM

Cming to DC

A friend is en route to DC to attend a conference. This is her first real visit and she was hoping to see some of the monuments and museums. What are the chances anything will be open?
Amy Argetsinger :

Depends on when she is coming, and when all this situation is resolved -- impossible to say. In the meantime, the city is filled with great museums and historic that are still open (though you may have to pay an entry fee) -- the Phillips Collection, Mount Vernon, the Corcoran, the Newseum -- and gorgeous monument-strewn landscape you can walk around (if not get up close and personal). Check out this list: Smithsonian closed? Here's what to do instead.

– October 16, 2013 12:42 PM

Want to feel old?

My kids have never eaten a Twinkie.
Roxanne Roberts :

Family Protective Services on Line One.

– October 16, 2013 12:42 PM

Oreos Rehab

If Oreos are more addictive than cocaine and morphine, where do I sign up for my rehab stint for my Oreos addiction?
Roxanne Roberts :

Biggest Loser. Plus you get free trainers.

– October 16, 2013 12:42 PM

R&R Hall of Fame

I can't believe Linda Ronstadt is just now making it!
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, she's still just a nominee -- not in yet -- though somehow she's been eligible since 1994 and not a nominee previously.

– October 16, 2013 12:43 PM

Thanks for telling me everything I need to know

about Rielle Hunter's new book. Now I can ignore it. You provide such an important public service.
Roxanne Roberts :

That's our job. But you're smart enough to already know it's a hot mess because she's a hot mess.

– October 16, 2013 12:44 PM

Peter Gabriel

No, you're right, as a song, "Sledgehammer" grates. Ah, but "In Your Eyes" is still wonderful. Even without Jon Cusack and a boombox.
Amy Argetsinger :

Okay, still feeling kind of combative -- I also kind of hate that movie, and Cusack's character in it.

– October 16, 2013 12:44 PM

Rielle Hunter

Does she still "see" John Edwards other than for the child?
Roxanne Roberts :

Who knows? They are both just awful people, playing out the result of their awful choices. As usual, I feel sorry for the kids.

– October 16, 2013 12:46 PM

Katie Holmes

Kinda disappointed to hear that her dancing with Jamie Foxx was only "platonic."
– October 16, 2013 12:46 PM

Is it just me?

Or with the shutdown has there been a reduction in celebrity sightings? I guess there is no place for the celebvocates to go, and the cool stuff is closed, so we are getting dissed for less federal locations. Do you have a graph on this?
Amy Argetsinger :

It's definitely been quieter on that front, though the sightings slowdown started after Labor Day.

– October 16, 2013 12:46 PM

Duggar visits

So all the Duggars are coming to VA to campaign for Cuccinelli, with expenses paid 100% by the organization Josh works for. That is just weird, but maybe they are thinking about overwhelming with numbers. And before some other chatter jumps me, I am the middle of 5 kids with 4 of my own and LOVE kids!
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, they can definitely knock on a lot of doors.

TV's Duggar Family Campaigns for Cuccinelli in Woodbridge Wednesday

– October 16, 2013 12:49 PM

Gwyneth & Vanity Fair Feud

I saw on HuffPost that she tried to kill a story they had on her, and told people not to comment to VF if asked. What is she afraid of? She's been on the cover plenty - is it because of the tough Tom Cruise article?
Roxanne Roberts :

Think about it -- she hasn't had an important acting role in years, and is ripe for a takedown. So she's probably nervous about any profile that she can't control.

– October 16, 2013 12:49 PM

Rancic's

Is there anything they wont do for money. Not surprised they had an awareness rally at a casino.
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm not going to beat them up for talking about breast cancer. But I asked how much she was getting paid for the appearance and the casino wouldn't tell me. I suspect it's a lot; Bill alone routinely gets $15,000 to $25,000 for a speech, and she's more famous than he is.

– October 16, 2013 12:51 PM

Martha vs. Gwyneth

Did you see the interview where Martha questioned Gwynnie's authenticity in entering the "lifestyle" genre? Which Martha herself created, singlehandedly? She would totally kick Gwyneth's depressingly toned butt in a showdown.
Roxanne Roberts :

I did. Martha is an Amazon. It's no contest.

– October 16, 2013 12:52 PM

Gabriel

"Sledgehammer" might not hold up well, but the other groundbreaking video of that year, "Big Time," will always rock, if only because of the awesome lyric, "And my heaven will be a big heaven / And I will walk through the front door."
Amy Argetsinger :

Isn't "Big Time" basically the same song as "Sledgehammer"? Listen -- you see what I mean?

– October 16, 2013 12:55 PM

Why is it

that people like Gwyneth Paltrow have plenty of money and seems to have a happy family but they still have to have all of us following their every move? You all have tracked celebrities for a while, is fame worse than oreos?
Amy Argetsinger :

Yes, fame is way worse than Oreos.

– October 16, 2013 12:55 PM

Defending Peter Gabriel

Biko. That is all.
Amy Argetsinger :

I'm sorry, that doesn't help.

– October 16, 2013 12:58 PM

Gabriel

His work helped establish Genesis. For solo work, Solsbury Hill still stands strong. But more importantly, time to vote the Meters in. They were an important group (New Orleans). Or NRBQ!
Amy Argetsinger :

Okay, I do like Solsbury Hill.

– October 16, 2013 12:58 PM

Peter Gabriel

Does not share Keanu DNA. Looking pretty grandfatherly these days.
Roxanne Roberts :

Ouch. Can't a guy get old anymore? No wonder Bruce Jenner went under the knife.

– October 16, 2013 12:59 PM

Since this chat now seems to be '80's likes and dislikes..

I'm just putting this out there. Do like Solsebury Hill, don't like Sledgehammer Do like Say Anything - Can't stand Dirty Dancing Amazed that Ah Ha has made a comeback - first the Nats/Morse & now a VW add? What's next? Falco selling trips to Europe?
Amy Argetsinger :

I regret to tell you that Falco is no longer with us.

– October 16, 2013 12:59 PM

Bon Jovi

The band missing from the nominations for the Rock Hall was obvious: Bon Jovi.
Amy Argetsinger :

Chronologically, they are definitely eligible, anyway. . .

– October 16, 2013 1:00 PM

Male facial plastic surgery

I can't think of any famous men whose looks have been enhanced with plastic surgery, can you? The eyelids always look bad -- from Frank Gifford (the first I recall) to Robert Redford, to Bruce Jenner.
Roxanne Roberts :

It's so strange -- you'd think that a star with an unlimited budget and a great plastic surgeon could pull off a natural pick-up, but they always look weird. Plus, men can usually get away with aging much more than women.

– October 16, 2013 1:01 PM

He should have just grown old gracefully

I doubt that CBS's Bob Schieffer has had any work done.

And he's adorable.

– October 16, 2013 1:01 PM

Hillary shouldn't have given up her diplomatic plates

Hard to feel sorry for her.
Roxanne Roberts :

She's doing just fine, people.

– October 16, 2013 1:01 PM

Uh-oh, Amy

How can you not like "Biko"?? Powerful stuff!
Amy Argetsinger :

Listen, I know it's a noble topic, but is it a good song?

– October 16, 2013 1:02 PM

Falco

Yes, but the music lives on. He wouldn't be the first post-mortem pitchman.
Amy Argetsinger :

I think I posted a link to a live performance of "Vienna Calling" the other week, right? So let's just go with the classic "Der Kommissar" video today. How much better than "Sledgehammer" is this?

– October 16, 2013 1:04 PM

Bruce Jenner

What I've never understood is Jenner was great looking to start with, a freakin' Olympic Champion. His surgeries never made him look younger so much as whittled down.
Roxanne Roberts :

Vanity is a strange addiction. Stranger than, say, Oreos. I say eat the damn cookies and forget the cocaine and plastic surgery. You'll be happier in the long run.

– October 16, 2013 1:05 PM

RIELLE HUNTER Apology

Seriously? She wanted to sell ebooks, which came out this week. Period. Or maybe I'm jaded.

You're right. And jaded.

– October 16, 2013 1:08 PM

Duggars on a plane?

Can you just imagine walking upon that scene at an airplane gate? It would be worse than 8th grade field-trip time in DC?
Roxanne Roberts :

I think the Duggers are better behaved.

– October 16, 2013 1:09 PM

Weeds in the vegetable garden

Many people's vegetable gardens get weedy in the autumn -- I know OURS sure does! But by late winter we have a raging case of spring fever, and can hardly wait to get out there and clean up the mess, till the ground and plant the first seeds. Sorry if this sounds like an Adrian Higgins chat.
Roxanne Roberts :

That's fine with me, since I'm a brown thumb and can't do a darm thing useful outside.

– October 16, 2013 1:10 PM

" the "lifestyle" genre? Which Martha herself created, singlehandedly?"

No, Martha didn't. Sue Ann Nivens did -- and Betty White is still going strong!
Roxanne Roberts :

And there were plenty before Sue Ann Nivens. Martha just yuppified the genre.

– October 16, 2013 1:12 PM

Oreos

speaking of which, time to eat one, are you an oreo with milk, oreo with coffee, or oreo solo types?
Roxanne Roberts :

I split the cookie in two, eat the unfrosted side, then the frosted side. No milk or coffee required.

– October 16, 2013 1:13 PM

Martha

was a revelation to many (me included). I was shocked a few years later to find out she was just the same old Hints from Heloise type with a new coat of paint.
Roxanne Roberts :

Upscale, very expensive paint.

– October 16, 2013 1:17 PM

Oreo = Cocaine

Just eating the middle = crack cocaine
Roxanne Roberts :

No, or we'd all have been next to Marion Barry in the big house.

– October 16, 2013 1:18 PM

Oreos

Slather some peanut butter on top. It's MAGICAL!
Roxanne Roberts :

Sounds excessive, so I must try it.

– October 16, 2013 1:19 PM

Chelsea wants to have a baby, but Amy is doing something about it

Think globally, act locally.

Hahahhahahaha!

And on that note, we'll end for today. I'll try to convince Amy to drop in again, so send your tips to reliablesource@washpost.com and check back next week.

– October 16, 2013 1:19 PM