August 7, 2013

A.M.

The Reliable Source Live

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, August 7, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Hello, everyone, and welcome to the last Reliable Source of the too-short summer. I'm just making a cameo in today's chat -- coming to you from an undisclosed northern location where connectivity is spotty, possibly because of some complex metric conversion -- so will leave you shortly in the good hands of Roxanne Roberts.

Topics on our radar lately:

Is this any way for a sex-scandal lady to behave? Actually, yes, if history is any guide, and Sydney Leathers herself has no apologies.

Whoa, now here’s a cute couple: Sam Kass and Alex Wagner.

Pre-schoolers are more entertained by the Property Brothers than you might guess.

Congratulations to former Gov. Edwin Edwards, a dad again at 85.

You run into Dave Matthews and Dave Grohl in the damnedest places.

Also: A heart stent for Bush 43. . .  A golfing birthday for Obama‘s 52nd. . .  Nigella Lawson moves on, quickly. . .  Ronan Farrow: Stylin’. . .  Simon Cowell‘s complicated life. . .  What happened to Jack White‘s amicable divorce?. . .  Raven-Symone comes out, subltly, via Twitter. . .

And, gosh, is that it? Good thing I'm on vacation, what with August being so quiet and newsless. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything. . .

The best story of the week....

is most certainly the Chris Rock - Make-a-wish Foundation. What a giving man!
Amy Argetsinger :

Apparently it was actually the best story of last week -- how did I miss that?

– August 07, 2013 12:02 PM

Dog days of summer

Wow, August is so quiet at work. Anything new with you two?
Amy Argetsinger :

Man, nothing at all. . . you?

– August 07, 2013 12:04 PM

Jeff Bezos

Any good stories to share about him ? Loved the open letter Gene W. wrote for his chat.
Amy Argetsinger :

Jeff Bezos?You mean, like the Amazon founder? Why's everyone asking about him suddenly?

– August 07, 2013 12:05 PM

The tragedy of summer....

(I think that's a Garrison Keillorism)... not only has this summer felt too short, but it's not been hot! At all! I feel cheated! How do y'all feel about the sale of the Post? I, as a loooong-time subscriber, am optimistic that Mr. Bezos will invest in the Post, particularly in its writers/editors.

Wait -- WHAT?!?!?!?

– August 07, 2013 12:05 PM

Woodbridge

So Bezos is keeping you two, right? You never know what might happen "under new management."
Roxanne Roberts :

You never know. Remember the last episode of "Mary Tyler Moore"?

– August 07, 2013 12:06 PM

Will the new onwer of the Wash. Post give interviews about himself and loved ones?

I understand he was "Person of the Year" for TIME Magazine in the 1990s; any up-to-2013 personal biographical treatments of the founder / entrepreneur? thanks
Amy Argetsinger :

Whoa, catching up now. But yes, in fact, seems like there have been quite a few biographical treatments of this Bezos fellow lately.

Here's one, and I'm liking the guy based on this headline: Bezos is known for his patience

Another: Why Bezos usually buys things

And: An open letter to Jeff Bezos from Gene Weingarten

– August 07, 2013 12:10 PM

TV Chat?

I know this isn't your bailiwick, but why can't we have someone do a television chat? I know (s)he won't be Lisa, but still we could talk about it. A movie chat or a combination movie/television would be nice as well. Can you talk to someone about it?
Amy Argetsinger :

Sure, we can suggest this.

– August 07, 2013 12:11 PM

it's not been hot!

wait, what? Do you not remember that week when it was like 90 percent humidity adn 100 degrees? I sure do. I remember running during it and thinking I may actually have heat stroke. Come on fall!
Roxanne Roberts :

I feel like I'm in Maine -- without the $$$$$ summer rental or the lobster rolls.

– August 07, 2013 12:12 PM

Shark Week

What's with all the outrage with Discovery Channel about the faux "Megaladon" story? This is the same channel that said Mermaids were real in a mockumentary last season.
Amy Argetsinger :

I love that it's only Day 3 of my vacation and already I don't know what any of you all are talking about.

– August 07, 2013 12:14 PM

Sam Kass

Tom mentioned in his chat that he ended up sitting next to Sam Kass at the new restaurant, Kapnos. Did he report this factoid to you? Did he notice if Sam was with his girlfriend?
Roxanne Roberts :

We never reveal our sources, silly!

– August 07, 2013 12:15 PM

Edwin Edwards

Ahh, Edwin Edwards ... when I was a college student in Louisiana in the 1980s, Edwards had already done a prison sentence for corruption/bribery, something like that, and then was running again for office versus the KKK's David Duke. Bumper stickers sprouted around New Orleans that said, "Vote for the crook. It's important." But back to the fact that he's 85 -- wow. As a woman in the later part of my fertile years, I can't get my brain around having a baby with a man who is 85 years old. Ugh. Well, congrats or something.
Amy Argetsinger :

I mean, what a life -- what a guy! And in fairness, he really doesn't look a day over 75. Which is pretty amazing for an ex-con.

– August 07, 2013 12:16 PM

RE: TV chat

"I know this isn't your bailiwick, but why can't we have someone do a television chat?" Hank Hank Hank Hank Hank Hank Hank Hank Hank Hank
Amy Argetsinger :

He knows how to chat, Stuever does.

– August 07, 2013 12:17 PM

I'm curious

When you got summoned to the Post's auditorium for the Bezos sale announcement, what did you think the announcement was going to be about?
Amy Argetsinger :

I've heard via the grapevine (when I went to the trading post attempting to try to swap some beaver pelts for a Globe and Mail) that some staffers thought they were going to hear that the building had been sold. Rox?

– August 07, 2013 12:17 PM
Roxanne Roberts :

The amazing thing is that a six-month process remained a secret. It takes a lot to surprise a roomful of WaPo editors and reporters, and -- trust me -- everyone was stunned.

– August 07, 2013 12:17 PM

Pre-schoolers for Property Brothers

My 8 year old son loves HGTV show Love it or List it .
Roxanne Roberts :

I have to say that the Property Brothers were absolutely charming with the kids. Good sports.

– August 07, 2013 12:17 PM

Surrogate TV Chat

What are people watching now? I love Breaking Pointe, which is about Ballet West, the professional company located in Salt Lake City. I'm also hooked on Siberia. Of course in the early evening I watch the Nationals on MASN. And how about that deliberate hit on Bryce Harper!
Amy Argetsinger :

I've never even heard of these shows! Have I been in a coma instead of on vacation? I'm bereft over the cancellation of "Bunheads." I'm optimistic about the return of J-Lo to American Idol. And I'm not really watching much of anything these days.

– August 07, 2013 12:18 PM

Beaver pelts

Hey, Amy! I'm in the Great White North too and I read about these things on a great American newspaper's website. I think it was called The Washing Post.
Amy Argetsinger :

You know, that name makes more sense than the other one, doesn't it?

– August 07, 2013 12:23 PM

other news

Yes, you are now a Kindle app., right between the Harry Potter download and Buzzfeed.
Amy Argetsinger :

Whatever that means! Anyway, I'm heading out of here. Rox can take care of you for the rest of the hour; meanwhile, I'll see you back at school in the fall. If you're really desperate to communicate with me, I'm thinking about live-tweeting my review of Rod Stewart's Greatest Hits, which I just found in cassette form in the recesses of my car. Otherwise, I'll miss you!

– August 07, 2013 12:23 PM

Elisabeth Hasselbeck

When does she start at Fox News? I absolutely loved her on Survivor: the Australian Outback. She was just so sweet and kind and really nice to the old farmer (I forget his name) who became her surrogate father for the duration. I don't know why people dislike her so much. I'd be proud to be her mother, sister, or friend.
Roxanne Roberts :

Looks like she'll be starting in September, although I'm not seeing an exact date.

– August 07, 2013 12:25 PM

Anthony Weiner

OK, so the latest is he dissed a GOP opponent by publicly calling him 'Grandpa" at a town hall event - hosted by AARP. http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/07/in-heated-exchange-weiner-takes-on-rival/?hpt=hp_t3 How awesomely ridiculous is that? Dude REALLY needs to go away.
Roxanne Roberts :

Who wouldn't be testy? Weiner's lost the female vote, the doesn't-learn-from-mistakes vote and now the senior vote. What next? Dissing moms? Insulting NYC police and firefighters? Kicking puppies?

– August 07, 2013 12:27 PM

Last episode of "Mary Tyler Moore"

Isn't that the one where Mary and Lou go out on a date? I hope this isn't Jeff's way of getting dates.
Roxanne Roberts :

Jeff is happily married. I'm talking about the part where everyone except Ted Baxter gets fired.

– August 07, 2013 12:28 PM

Obama vacation

I haven't heard anything about this. Are they headed to Martha's Vineyard again?
Roxanne Roberts :

Yes, and the locals are grumbling about it again. Once was exciting -- now they're just fed up by the road closures and delays.

– August 07, 2013 12:30 PM

As I Don't Care About Politics At All

Are there any Nationals sightings? Any news about them? Bryce Harper took a hard hit last night which emptied both dugouts and bull pens, but no real fighting ensued. Kurt Suzuki and his wife are expecting a boy. And the gorgeous Tyler Moore should be back in September after he's done burning up AAA with the Syracuse Chiefs.
Roxanne Roberts :

Not a peep. I'm guessing they're laying low and trying to eek out a few more wins -- so going out on the town may now look so good right now. They need to do all their playing on the field.

– August 07, 2013 12:32 PM

Why Weiner won't go

Apparently, if Weiner remains in the race until the primary election, he is eligible for some matching funds, which his campaign can retain and use for some future race. Sorry, don't have a cite for this, but it would explain why he's still in the race, against all reason and common sense (not that he has any of that).
Roxanne Roberts :

Reason and common sense were never part of the equation -- so why start now? You forgot hubris -- maybe he really thinks he can turn around this sinking ship in the next few weeks.

– August 07, 2013 12:35 PM

MTM finale

Re the ending, who is the Ted Baxter at the Washington Post? (Beautiful hair and no brain cells beneath it)
Roxanne Roberts :

As if I'm going to touch that with a 10-foot pencil. But really, no shortage of brain cells in this joint. And not much beautiful hair, come to think of it.

– August 07, 2013 12:37 PM

Graham and Bezos

Am reading about Donald Graham being very much a hands-on kind of boss, sending notes about stories he liked, walking through the newsroom, etc. I gathered that K. Weymouth is staying on, but is there still a role for Donald Graham at the paper?
Roxanne Roberts :

Nope, except as our Number One fan. Don will not have any offficial role with the paper; he'll be part of the other, as-of-yet unnamed company with the remaining corporate assets. But Bezos is smart enough to know how much Don knows and loves this paper. Bet he'll have him on speed dial.

– August 07, 2013 12:40 PM

Obama vacation

Why can't they go to Camp David? Or those nice quarters on the Naval Base in Key west? It looked quite pleasant when I visited it several years ago, it's close to the Ocean and the Gulf, and it's secure.
Roxanne Roberts :

Hey, he's president. One of the perks is getting to decide where you want to vacation. Personally, I was hoping for Las Vegas: "The Hangover IV: POTUS rolls the dice."

– August 07, 2013 12:43 PM

Trivia Question

What do Nationals Tyler Clippard, Taylor Jordan, Tyler Moore, and Wilson Ramos have in common that no one else on the team has?
Roxanne Roberts :

Tell me it's not underwear. Travelling pants?

– August 07, 2013 12:44 PM

Change is coming

I work at an NGO and we have had four executive directors in five years. They all say that they are not going to change anything, but six weeks later your cube has shrunk and you've acquired a bunch of duties that were not in your job description. Hope you two won't be sent to cover local ball games or to the zoo panda pregnancy watch or to a news conference on federal food safety rule changes.
Roxanne Roberts :

Pandas are adorable. I'm there. Or I'm really, really depressed.

– August 07, 2013 12:45 PM

No shortage of Lou Grants !

Never!

– August 07, 2013 12:46 PM

Bush Self Portriats

George won't be painting another portriat of himself nude and showing off his stent scar, will he?
Roxanne Roberts :

You never know. He's a prankster, that W.

– August 07, 2013 12:47 PM

OK, I get it...

We're just gonna keep submitting questions, and Amy is going to send fraux replies feigning lack of knowledge because she's already on vacation. While I adore our chats (really, I do), maybe you might have just considered starting your annual summer break a week earlier rather than phoning it 1/2 in... Love you, mean it.
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm chopped liver? (Insert Queens accent here.)

– August 07, 2013 12:48 PM

vichyssoise

I want to serve vichyssoise aat a luncheon on Saturday. How far ahead can I make it? Should I wait to add the cream until just before serving?
Roxanne Roberts :

Months. And I suggest straight vodka instead of cream.

– August 07, 2013 12:49 PM

vichyssoise - ooops never mind, wrong chat

sorry
Roxanne Roberts :

Figured. I still like the vodka part.

– August 07, 2013 12:49 PM

Vacation plans

What type of vacation do you favor Roxanne? Busy seeing the sights, or relaxing on a beach/lake other. I'm a lake girl myself
Roxanne Roberts :

I like warm anywhere, historical sights and books. But I will say that one of the high points of a week in Buenos Aires was the zoo with the South American animals (and white tiger cubs.) There's something pretty great about clear turquoise seas, but that typically requires a yacht, which I do not own.

– August 07, 2013 12:53 PM

Amy and the buyout

So did Amy really not know that Bezos had bought WashPo? It's been all over the media, even the TV national news like NBC. Or was Amy just funnin' with us?
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm not sure exactly when she found out, but it was soon after the announcement -- it was news everywhere.

– August 07, 2013 12:54 PM

Trivia

Consider their first names. . .
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm clearly dense when it comes to the Nats: Three T names, one W....? Can I buy a vowel?

– August 07, 2013 12:56 PM

Ronan?

In the picture he looks like Mia Farrow. Since she acquires children like Imelda Marcus used to buy shoes, what is his actual bio-parentage?
Roxanne Roberts :

He's her biological son with Woody Allen -- very close to his mom, estranged from his father.

– August 07, 2013 12:58 PM

Beautiful hair at the Washington Post

Robert Redford was dreamy when he worked there.
Roxanne Roberts :

Which he never did, although he would have raised the hair bar.

– August 07, 2013 12:59 PM

W's self-portraits

I absolutely LOVED that "self-portrait in the bathtub" that Bush painted. He really showed a sense of (self-deprecating) humor and playfulness that I hadn't sensed before. All former presidents should be required to paint; we would gain more insight into them that way.
Roxanne Roberts :

I don't know about that -- we might get another Lucian Freud.

– August 07, 2013 1:01 PM

Roxie isn't chopped liver...

she's 100% bacon (to torture a bad analogy further...) and her continued contribution is probably what is keeping this particular chat as only 1/2 phoned in. I mean that as a compliment, really.
Roxanne Roberts :

Everyone loves bacon, so I'm taking it as a compliment.

– August 07, 2013 1:02 PM

Kindred Spirits

Wow, talk about irony. Yesterday -- probably about the same time the ball was being dropped in DC -- the staff at the magazine I work for was told we were being sold. Scary at first. But, we were assured we were part of the deal. Yeah, we'll see how long that holds true. Love you guys.

Back at ya. Good luck.

– August 07, 2013 1:02 PM

Nationals trivia

Its either they all have a.)presidents' names or b).they should not even thinking about brawling with the Braves with McCann or Heyward on the team. No need for suspensions or injuries.
Roxanne Roberts :

Good guess. Now I feel like an idiot.

– August 07, 2013 1:04 PM

Trivia

(John) Tyler, (Zachary) Taylor, and (Thomas Woodrow) Wilson were all presidents of the United States. If we count Tom Clancy's books, we could add Ryan Zimmerman and Ryan Mattheus to the list, as Jack Ryan became POTUS.
Roxanne Roberts :

Ding! Ding! Ding! Congrats to the brainy ones who figured it out.

– August 07, 2013 1:04 PM

Nats Trivia

They have presidential first names ?

Exactly.

– August 07, 2013 1:05 PM

Now their fed up with the road closures and delays

Poor them. That makes me think that perhaps we should require the President to vacation in a different place every year so that more of the country can enjoy the wonderful experience of living as a little among the VIPs who require motorcades and road closures.
Roxanne Roberts :

A brief thrill, then we're all just annoyed. Once took me a hour to move two blocks when POTUS dined at the Jefferson.

– August 07, 2013 1:06 PM

Sydney Leathers?!?!?!

Please tell me this is an alias, like Diablo Cody.
Roxanne Roberts :

She swore it was her real name. German ancestry.

– August 07, 2013 1:06 PM

Royal Baby, Royal Baby, Royal Baby!

Nobody at work will talk with me about it.
Roxanne Roberts :

By George, I will! He's a baby. A boy baby. Looks cute. What else?

– August 07, 2013 1:07 PM

Ronan 2

The genes fell in the right direction. Aren't ALL those kids "estranged" from Father Woody? Except the one he married, of course.
Roxanne Roberts :

It's a complicated family. Always was. I'm waiting for the memoirs -- because you know they're coming.

– August 07, 2013 1:08 PM

Everyone loves bacon

I don't. It's fatty and either limp and can't be cut or brittle and disintegrates. Pah!
Roxanne Roberts :

Can we talk? I cut the strips in half, place on a jelly roll pan, sprinkle fresh ground black pepper and brown suger on top, then bake in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes. Drain off the fat and you've got a little piece of heaven.

– August 07, 2013 1:10 PM

Did you talk about Sharknado

Taking out the Presidents at a Nats game?

We did not. Sounds fun.

– August 07, 2013 1:11 PM

The Post staff should get a lifetime membership in Amazon Prime

Now where do I cash in my Post Points?
Roxanne Roberts :

That's my new retirement account you're making fun of.

– August 07, 2013 1:14 PM

W

When do they do the stent for his brain?

Now, now. Be nice.

– August 07, 2013 1:16 PM

The Complicated Farrow Family

Well, sometimes, what goes around comes around. People forget that, pre-Woody, Mia had an affair with married composer/conductor Andre Previn, which led to his divorcing his wife Dory Previn, which aggravated her pre-existing mental illness, and eventually led to her institutionalization. There's a lot of karma to go around with that bunch.
Roxanne Roberts :

No kidding. I mean that: No kidding around.

– August 07, 2013 1:23 PM

Miss you

gonna miss you and Amy the next few weeks. Thank goodness I'll be on vacation one of those weeks. See you in September!
Roxanne Roberts :

And you! We're taking our annual break starting next week and will a) sleep b) sleep c) read d) hang out with my cats on my lap. That's assuming I don't win the Powerball tonight, in which case I'll be holed up with lawyers and financial advisors -- and the cats.

Have a great, semi-restful rest of August. Eat ice cream, see a good movie, laugh at something silly. We'll be back after Labor Day to catch up and dive into fall. have fun, chatters.

– August 07, 2013 1:23 PM