July 31, 2013

The Reliable Source Live

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, July 31, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the Reliable Source web chat. Some topics on our radar this week. . .

Mystery still surrounds an incident in which Wale was kicked off a plane — possibly diverted for the occasion — for having his phone out.

Who should play Bill Clinton in the “Hillary” miniseries?

How much does it cost to dress like a first lady?

Royal baby has a name! — also, a party in his honor, mobilized by the British embassy’s amazing rapid-response party team.

What did Huma know and when did she know it?

A British aristocrat rues the day his grandfather sold a priceless artwork at a bargain.

Jay-Z thinks he does enough for society simply by existing, thank you very much.

Also: It’s like John McCain was ready and waiting for that stripper question. . .  Mark Leibovich and the politics of a book party in This Town. . .  Ever wonder how George H.W. Bush would look bald?. . .  And you’ve waited all summer for it — the Hill’s “50 Most Beautiful” list, which ranks Jeff Flake at No. 1.

Looking forward to your questions.

Will Oprah be a "plus" for opening of movie on White House "The Butler"?

Has Washington DC hosted a world premiere of the new Lee Daniels movie? Is Ms. Winfrey the publicity media main figure? Thanks.
Amy Argetsinger :

"The Butler" -- or as it is to be officially known, "Lee Daniels's The Butler," because of a complicated copyright dispute -- is set to open Aug. 16. It hasn't premiered anywhere yet: While you would assume there would be some splashy D.C. opening, we haven't gotten word of one yet, which is a little surprising. Wouldn't be suprised if the White House has a screening of its own, though. . . . Oprah will likely be a big part of the publicity campaign, but the movie is stocked with all kinds of big names for exactly that purpose.

‘The Butler’: A labor of love becomes an unlikely A-list production, 10/18/12

Read the original 2008 story by our colleague Wil Haygood: A butler well served by this election, 11/7/08

– July 31, 2013 12:06 PM

NY

Sen. Gilibrand seemed to lose a lot of weight. Very sexy Senator. No marriage ring? She was divorced?
Amy Argetsinger :

Nope, she's married, two kids.

– July 31, 2013 12:07 PM

Which is weirder?

Anthony Weiner refusing to say he's stopped his bad behavior, or the campaign manager's meltdown over a relatively benign story?

You tell us.

– July 31, 2013 12:08 PM

Cinton portrayer

Would suggest Ted Danson (with padding) but maybe too awkward with he and Mary Steenburgen being Friends of Bill.
Amy Argetsinger :

Ted Danson as Bill Clinton? No, I think Ted Danson is too Dansonesque. Also, he's about Clinton's age, and therefore too old to play POTUS in his early '50s in the late '90s. But thanks for the suggestion!

Who should play Bill Clinton in ‘Hillary,’ the NBC miniseries?

– July 31, 2013 12:09 PM

The Anthony Weiner movie

Who will play him? Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Shia LeBoef? (Though Weiner seems to think he should be played by Ryan Reynolds or Ryan Gosling.)
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, this is an even better question! Joseph Gordon-Levitt might need a prosthetic nose, but he would be fantastic in this role. It's his Oscar role.

– July 31, 2013 12:11 PM

The VA first lady

The whole thing struck a really low note with the payments by the PAC, campaign, etc. on the inaugural gowns etc. Some friends and I were talking about this last night, and we realized that the reason we think this particularly gives us the willies is that it is prohibited for Federal candidates to spend their campaign funds this way. Categorically not allowed. The reason Sarah Palin got away with it is a weird twist that it was never prohibited by the national party, almost entirely because it never occurred to anyone drafting laws/regulations that a national party would ever waste money that way (donors: not amused). So the whole thing just is really particularly icky to a lot of people.
Roxanne Roberts :

Lots of strong feelings about this issue. If McDonnell had spent her personal money on clothing, this would not be a story: the amounts she spent are not unreasonable to assemble a decent professional wardrobe. The legal issues aside, it's the perception that she's tapping into donor money intended for other uses. (Another intereting question, because campaign money flows like water for so many other costs.) Anyway, what surprises me most is that she wasn't aware of how this might be perceived by Virginia voters.

– July 31, 2013 12:11 PM

Bill Clinton

I am such a supporter of Woody Harrelson to play him. He is able to really bring the rogue charm out. Billy Bob is a bit too creepy.
Amy Argetsinger :

Glad you liked the Woody idea. I don't think he'll do it, but if he wanted to, he could. I disagree about BBT. He's an actor. He can calibrate to the appropriate level of creepiness.

– July 31, 2013 12:11 PM

Farragut North Elevator

Why is it more inportanto give station managers a roomier kiosk then it is to provide an elevator for the elderly and disabled?
Amy Argetsinger :

Hello there. I think you're in the wrong chat, maybe.

– July 31, 2013 12:12 PM

Huma and Anthony

Here's my take on why Huma has so far stayed with the wienie. She moves in a world of hyper-ambitious, high goal people who work 12, 14, 16 hours a day regularly, where there's not enough time to simply find a potential relationship partner, much less develop a relationship. When you finally do find one, it's probably not your ideal partner, and you have to make a lot of concessions, but the human need for a partner is strong, and so you make those concessions. Huma's calculus, I suppose, is that in her hyper-ambitious world, it would be difficult to start and develop a new relationship, and so it's easier to make a concession and stay with the guy she's with, as flawed as he is.
Roxanne Roberts :

Your guess is as good as mine. Lots of hyper-ambitious people find good spouses and manage happy private lives. I'm guessing the biggest factor in her staying is their son.

– July 31, 2013 12:13 PM

Anthony Weiner

Someone needs to publish a book on how to properly get away with sexting and sending pictures to strangers. Politicians could use that.
Amy Argetsinger :

You got some tips for us?

– July 31, 2013 12:16 PM

Weiner and Abedin

If they're the price I have to pay for a Clinton presidency, then I'm voting Republican. Just sayin'.
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, so are you saying that the Weiner association makes you less likely to vote for Hillary? Interesting.

– July 31, 2013 12:16 PM

Bill Clinton

I would prefer seeing Phillip Seymour Hoffman portraying Bill. As to Hillary, I like the choice of Diane Lane.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, she's a pretty good choice. Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be great, but I think he's too fancy to agree to a network miniseries.

– July 31, 2013 12:17 PM

George

So the name of the royal baby is George. None of us will be alive to see his realm, unless we subject ourselves to be being frozen for 50 years.
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, some of us might be alive. If you're younger than Prince William (and come from genetic stock as healthy and long-lived as the Windsors) then you have a decent shot of living to see this kid take the throne. The rest of us are looking at long odds.

– July 31, 2013 12:18 PM

To play Anthony Weiner

Dustin Diamond, aka Screech from Saved by the Bell.
Amy Argetsinger :

It could be Dustin Diamond's Oscar role.

– July 31, 2013 12:21 PM

Huma

So last week there seemed to be a lot of sympathy for her position, but I think that has really dried up. She knew that he was continuing to do it before the mayoral run and she encouraged him anyway. The whole thing about she was doing this for her son's future is undermined pretty strongly by the fact that she had to know she was running the risk of subjecting her son's father to another round of ridicule as a national joke.

Yep.

– July 31, 2013 12:23 PM

baby George

by going with a nontrendy name like George, are Will and Kate creating a new trend where old fashioned names are favored over names such as Apple and Knorth? (I hope so!).
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, aren't we already surrounded by old-fashioned names? Despite all the Jaydens and Madisons out there, a lot of the most popular names are old-timey chic these days.

– July 31, 2013 12:24 PM

Weiner, Abedin & Clinton

"Oh, so are you saying that the Weiner association makes you less likely to vote for Hillary?" I'm the OP. Yes to your question because I have lost all respect for Huma. In 2013, a woman should not allow herself to be treated like a doormat and be humiliated in public as Huma has allowed herself to be, child or no child. Jenny Sanford refused to "stand by her man," and now Silda Spitzer is finally showing some backbone and kicking Eliot to the curb. If Huma is going to be part of any Hillary Clinton White House, well, you know people by the company they keep, and I've had my full of Hillary's friends and staffers.

Okay, thanks. Interesting.

– July 31, 2013 12:25 PM

Maureen McDonnell's wardrobe

Bob McDonnell has been a politician for many years, so it's not like this was all new to her. She's had time to gradually accumulate an appropriate wardrobe, and also the last I checked, it's not like she's hosting state dinners, etc. On the other hand, he husband had clearly indicated that he's either not the brightest bulb in the box, or he's a lying liar about what he knew and when he knew it.
Roxanne Roberts :

Anybody in politics for that long should have known that actions that are legal might still be perceived unfavorably by voters.

– July 31, 2013 12:27 PM

Prince George

So the Royal Baby was names after the Maryland county?
Amy Argetsinger :

Something like that. Actually, Prince George's County was named for Prince George of Denmark, the husband of Britain's Queen Anne.

– July 31, 2013 12:29 PM

50 Most Beautiful

Is that list a joke? Jake Tapper?
Amy Argetsinger :

The Hill's Most Beautiful is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

– July 31, 2013 12:30 PM

The Hill List

I was confused about the list -- lots of people don't seem to work on the Hill. Some confused me about whether they were working at all, such as Carlos Gutierrez Jr. How do you end up on the list?
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, this year, the Hill expanded the list to include people working in the executive branch. And they've always included people who work around the Hill, i.e., lobbyists, cops, reporters, etc.

– July 31, 2013 12:31 PM

Billy Bob

Isn't he a Friend of Bill who would be an unlikely choice for the role?
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, I don't know -- are they close beyond the Hot Springs hometown connection?

– July 31, 2013 12:32 PM

The little prince

The best thing is that there have been no new stories this week. Hopefully the British press will allow William and Kate some much-needed privacy with their new son. Between the royal security and the safeguards that Kate's parents can afford, I hope they will be left in peace for awhile.
Amy Argetsinger :

Much-needed privacy? Oh, but the royal family survives and thrives on this kind of publicity juggernaut.

– July 31, 2013 12:32 PM

That Scott Simon story yesterday...

moved me to tears. What a great human interest story meets modern technology.
– July 31, 2013 12:34 PM

Does the royal family travel together?

What if, god forbid, Wills, George, Charles, and Harry were all traveling together and their plane crashed?
Amy Argetsinger :

I don't think they do travel together.

– July 31, 2013 12:34 PM

Why Huma stayed

I'm just not buying that Huma decided to stay with Anthony "because of the baby." What mother in her right mind thinks that raising a child with a sex addict and compulsive liar is best for the baby? What kind of male model is Weiner going to be for his kid? I'm beginning to think that Huma lies almost as much as Anthony.

Relationships are complicated.

– July 31, 2013 12:34 PM

by George I think I've got it!

Any clue where that phrase came from? Just popped into my head when thinking of the new royal George.
Amy Argetsinger :

According to various Internet savants, "by George!" is a polite way of saying "by God!" or "by Jove" without being blasphemous. In other words, it's akin to saying "Oh, fudge."

– July 31, 2013 12:36 PM

the more important question....

Who plays Roger Clinton?
Amy Argetsinger :

Alas, I bet Roger doesn't even make it into the miniseries. I don't remember him making any news as late as 1998.

– July 31, 2013 12:37 PM

Royal Baby Name

My husband's theory is that Will and Kate are Seinfeld fans and the name is a homage to George Louis Constanza/Jason Alexander by combining the two to get George Alexander Louis. That is why the prince is referred to as George Constanza at our house
Amy Argetsinger :

Hard to argue with that.

– July 31, 2013 12:37 PM

McConnells

Why are the already well-to-do always the most greedy and grasping for freebies? See also: Welch, Jack.
Roxanne Roberts :

I think there's a seductive environment where people offer more and more and some folks start feeling entitled. It's also a moving target because expectations and standards change. But yes -- the more you have, the more free stuff that gets offered to you.

– July 31, 2013 12:38 PM

Lisa de Mornes

I miss her! Does she ever check in? Has she started writing someone on the west coast?
Amy Argetsinger :

Our dearly missed Lisa has started writing for Deadline.com out on the West Coast.

– July 31, 2013 12:39 PM

2033

I cannot wait till that year, when George gets into trouble for partying with Prince Harry in Vegas.

Ha.

– July 31, 2013 12:39 PM

Maureen McDonnell

Everytime I hear that name, I start singing "There's got to be a morning after..."
Amy Argetsinger :

Maureen McGovern, of course. Whereas I think, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" or "I'll never wash this cheek again!"

– July 31, 2013 12:43 PM

The Weiners Doing it for their kid

Part of me wants to feel pity for her, but honestly, the ambition and hubris of both of them is just stomach turning. After Weinergate Round One, I was at a happy hour where a friend of a friend who works at State told a story about Huma being on a conference call two hours after she gave birth. Sadly, I think politics and power might come before family for both of these parents.
Roxanne Roberts :

Could be. It's impossible to know what goes on in any marriage or why some people stay and others call it quits. From the outside looking in, I don't get it--but having a child together does complicate the decision.

– July 31, 2013 12:43 PM

Jay-Z

So him just being alive is enough giving back? Are there any other former drug dealers we can say that about?
Amy Argetsinger :

Pretty tone-deaf statement, don't you think?

– July 31, 2013 12:43 PM

Actor for Bill

Jeff Daniels.
Amy Argetsinger :

I think he's too Jeff Danielsesque.

– July 31, 2013 12:44 PM

OK - so lets get to the important cast member

Who would play Monica? Who would do that?
Amy Argetsinger :

I don't know, but I would bet that Lewinsky is not a character portrayed in the miniseries -- since this is a Hillary-centric production, and I doubt the two interacted. But who knows.

– July 31, 2013 12:45 PM

Matthew Perry/Jessica Alba

Why were they not on the Hill list? They are on the hill more than most people on that list.

Srsly.

– July 31, 2013 12:45 PM

The Madness of King George

Really, George ? Are they big fans of 43 ? Or is England not going the way of America with Jasons ans Zachs and Kaitlyns ?
Roxanne Roberts :

The British royals are all about tradition. Remember, George was the name of the current queen's father, so it has a deeply personal association for the family.

– July 31, 2013 12:47 PM

Huma and Hillary

My, the venom for the Clintons continues doesn't it! If you present that the reason you would not vote for Hillary is that Huma MAY be on her team, then you are not a Hillary supported anyway and would not be voting for her. Folks can see right through that "argument."
Roxanne Roberts :

Some people just don't like the Clintons. Simple as that.

– July 31, 2013 12:47 PM

Anthony Weiner

Is it pronounced Why-Ner or Wee-Ner?
Amy Argetsinger :

Wee-ner, as he would be the first to tell you. At the 2011 RTCA dinner, he joked about how John Boehner delicately pronounces his name bainer. "Who is Boehner fooling?" Weiner said. "What am I, Anthony Wainer? I’m serious, brother, just embrace it!"

– July 31, 2013 12:48 PM

Someone suggested Pauly Shore

to portray Weiner, and I can't argue with that. As for why Huma stays with him, maybe it is as simple as love. Although I don't get it!
Amy Argetsinger :

I still think Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the best idea we've heard. I mean, he's an actor.

– July 31, 2013 12:48 PM

Bill Clinton

Sean Penn should get the role. He's already done a death row murderer, a homosexual politician, a mentally disabled single father, among many others.
Amy Argetsinger :

Hmmm, no, I don't see Sean Penn in the role. And again -- we're talking about a network miniseries, so you got to be realistic about who's going to take that role.

– July 31, 2013 12:49 PM

To wiener or not to wiener

People defend online relationships as being "Real" (see Manti Teo'o girlfriend debacle) but Wiener argues that posting pictures of his junk online to strangers is less than real from showing himself in public. Is it different? Is it less bad? Is it worse? (not knowing WHO the picture is going to, is really bad, methinks... ) Flashers KNOW who they are exposing themselves to (say, adults)... online flashers... don't. What is the online/offline difference in exposing oneself to strangers?
Amy Argetsinger :

Honestly, I don't think there's much difference.

– July 31, 2013 12:50 PM

I think there are two things here. First, the Weiner thing is amusing/a good joke because there is quite simply nothing at stake. But, if they are in positions of power again, its a distraction to important business of the nation. Second, it really does bring up this nascent thought that maybe Hillary hasn't been the greatest role model. Clearly, Huma was trying to leverage her husband for power and position and as a result let this whole mess bring her into a bad light. I haven't thought this entirely through, but sound familiar?
Roxanne Roberts :

As I've said before: it's hard to judge other marriages, because we actually know so little about what goes on inside and how the partners feel about each other. That being said, public figures are constantly trying to sell themselves to voters as people of character and worthy of trust and expose their private lives as part of that dynamic. So I guess we'll continue to speculate because they make it so easy.

– July 31, 2013 12:51 PM

50 Most Beautiful

Man, that swimsuit calendar is gonna tank!
Amy Argetsinger :

Now that the Hill has been doing this for ten years, they should consider going in a more creative route like that.

– July 31, 2013 12:52 PM

The other George in news

I thought former Pres Bush (41) shaving his head in solidarity with his security team and the two year old with cancer was very sweet and classy. The interview he did with granddaughter Jenna was heartwarming. I wasn't a fan when he was in office, but I'm warming to him in retirement.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, that was charming, wasn't it?

– July 31, 2013 12:52 PM

Can I make a very mean comment

The inaugural portrait of Mrs. McDonnell.... Let's just say it is very very flattering.
Roxanne Roberts :

It was a silly decision by the painter and the subject, because it opens both of them up for ridicule.

– July 31, 2013 12:52 PM

RE: Huma

I haven't walked in her shoes, but can't undertsand why Huma would stay with Weiner now. I don't know much abouit her, but maybe she is ambitious and the thought of being first lady of NY is more important to her...more than her dignity?
Amy Argetsinger :

It's probably all a lot more complicated than that. Relationships are complicated.

– July 31, 2013 12:53 PM

England Swings

Do you think there'll be a time when England just decides to drop this whole monarchy thing ? Cause, honestly, it's well overdue.
Roxanne Roberts :

So you say. Enough of the British (are you?) are still willing to support it.

– July 31, 2013 12:53 PM

Are Al and Tipper in the movie?

Then cast Melanie Griffith and Bryan Cranston.

Fun idea!

– July 31, 2013 12:54 PM

Linda Tripp

Still think if there is a Linda Tripp character in the movie, she should be played by John Goodman.
Roxanne Roberts :

Okay, that made me laugh.

– July 31, 2013 12:54 PM

NEWSFLASH: Huma leaves

in 6 months or so. The pattern is typical. Shock, awe, defense mechanism... when all muscles relax, cameras and lights go away, she'll take a good look at Tony and ask herself "Why?". Then she'll quietly go... The fun part will be when he rebuilds his life... a la Tiger Woods! Oooooooh can't wait! Are we there yet?
Roxanne Roberts :

You're assuming he's going to lose. which is okay, because I'm assuming the same thing. Different ball of wax if he wins.

– July 31, 2013 12:55 PM

Huma & Tony

Your piece asking what did Huma know and when did she know it reminded me of Elizabeth Edwards. I lost a lot of respect for her when I found out she continued to promote his presidential candidacy even after finding out he father a child with Reille Hunter. I've lost respect for Huma for similar reasons. Makes me question whether these people will be truthful with the voters. (...truthful with the voters....I sounds so naive!)
Roxanne Roberts :

But a completely fair point.

– July 31, 2013 12:56 PM

Casting for Bill

Dennis Quaid can do the smarmy charm of Bill. Tim Robbins has the piercing blue eyes of Bill. I could even see Viggo Mortensen-he has the blue eyes and charm but may be too handsome.
Amy Argetsinger :

Dennis Quaid already had his at-bat as Bill Clinton (in "The Special Relationship") and did not get great reviews for it. . . Viggo? I think he's too . . . laconic or something.

– July 31, 2013 12:56 PM

McDonnell Painting

I don't blame her for her official portrait. If I had one done, I'd insist that it depict me riding a polar bear.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah! Because you're the first lady, damnit!

– July 31, 2013 12:56 PM

Jay-Z

That is an obnoxious statement. Oh well, I am more into Wale & J Cole's albums right now anyway (not that anyone cares).

We care.

– July 31, 2013 12:57 PM

Hillary & Huma

In a way, I can understand why Huma did what she did. Playing the loyal wife worked for Hillary, her boss, so why not take a page from her playbook? Yes, Hillary was First Lady at the time, and she and Bill were able to initially make the press believe that the scandal was all the fault of the "vast right wing conspiracy," but I can see Huma thinking that she can get away with the same tricks as her boss did. I'm just glad that NYC voters have decided that we we won't another pair of mini-Clintons to deal with in the near future. I predict that Huma will dump Weiner some months after he loses and goes back to his sexting ways (assuming that he ever stopped, which I doubt).
Roxanne Roberts :

Everyone will be watching.

– July 31, 2013 12:57 PM

Weiner

What intern has the cojones to think they should write a "tell all?" If you wanna eat lunch in this town again, keep your mouth shut.
Amy Argetsinger :

It's going to be hard for Olivia Nuzzi to get that next internship, probably.

– July 31, 2013 12:59 PM

Hello, King Andrew!
Roxanne Roberts :

I'm thinking there's some kind of unofficial rule that those four would never be allowed on the same plane together.

– July 31, 2013 12:59 PM

Bill Clinton impersonator

Does Darrell Hammond do drama? He was a spot-on Clinton look-alike (except for the height) on SNL for years.
Amy Argetsinger :

Yeah, but I think when you're in a dramatic role, you don't want an impressionist. It's better to get someone who may not have the pitch perfect intonations but can convey the dramatic sentiment of the role.

– July 31, 2013 12:59 PM

Billy Bob as Bill (Clinton)

Didn't Billy Bob play a thinly-disguised Bill Clinton in some Hugh Grant film, in which Grant played the British Prime Minister? The American president in that film is clearly a skirt-chaser. Sorry, I can't remember the name, but I think it had "love" in the title.
Roxanne Roberts :

Love, actually. Chick flick classic. Good movie, too.

– July 31, 2013 1:00 PM

Bill Clinton's character

Out of leftfield - Loudon Wainwright III. He was on MASH the first year or two.
Amy Argetsinger :

Let's see -- wrong physical type, wrong demeanor, wrong age. . . . But thanks for the suggestion!

– July 31, 2013 1:01 PM

The McDonnells and the Weiners ...

should go on that wife swapping TV show (if it's still on).
Amy Argetsinger :

Hey, yeah, everyone loves a third act.

– July 31, 2013 1:01 PM

Jay Z

I also totally laughed out loud when I read the Jay Z comment. Um, wow - such hubris! Almost as bad as Weiner's arrogance...
Amy Argetsinger :

And you watch the video thinking, "well, maybe it sounds better when he says it than it looks in print" -- and it doesn't.

– July 31, 2013 1:01 PM

Wale

Maybe he should consult with Alec Baldwin when it comes to airline etiquette.
Amy Argetsinger :

Sounds like he already did. Except that Baldwin woudln't stop talking about it after it happened, and Wale hushed up in a hurry.

– July 31, 2013 1:02 PM

Complicated Relationships

They don't always needs to be complicated. Huma's got a career, presumably makes enough money. She could uncomplicate her life very quickly. They treat you bad, they cheat on you, they humiliate you, they keep doing it...get out!
Roxanne Roberts :

Sounds easy until you're in the middle of it. Just sayin'.

– July 31, 2013 1:03 PM

The Hillary Clinton Movie

How about Emma Thompson and John Travolta? Seems like it could work...
Amy Argetsinger :

Worked before, didn't it?

– July 31, 2013 1:04 PM

McDonnells and their greed

The amount of money this family has received from third parties amazes me. Why did they think they could get away with all of this, or is that the way politics used to be and we are just now becoming critical of it? I just don't know how you have someone else pay for an over-the-top wedding and just pass it off as though it is your doing.
Roxanne Roberts :

I don't understand, either. The response has been is that everything is legal. But it looks so compromising that I'm baffled by the choices.

– July 31, 2013 1:05 PM

RE: "by George I think I've got it!"

Wasn't there a line like that in My Fair Lady? Rex Harrison says "By George I think she's got it!"

– July 31, 2013 1:05 PM

How long

before Weiner is on dancing with the stars?

Not soon enough!

– July 31, 2013 1:05 PM

Weiner should stop sexting!

He should use Skype.

Is that safer?

– July 31, 2013 1:06 PM

Never mind Huma . . .

Can you believe the mouth on Weiner's director of "communications"? What kind of third-rate outfit is this guy running? And he thinks he's fit to be mayor of NYC?
Roxanne Roberts :

Have you heard the mouth on the mayor of Chicago?

– July 31, 2013 1:06 PM

Silda?

She "kicked Elliot to the curb"? Link, please!
Amy Argetsinger :

That's simply the scuttlebut in New York these days, based in part on the fact that she's not campaigning with him. But Eliot Spitzer is not discussing the state of their relationship.

– July 31, 2013 1:07 PM

wow. That's kind of assuming you know a lot about their relationship that there is no way you can know if you're not in it. i would think in 2013, we would know enough about life in general not to throw such very large stones when judging women who are clearly intelligent and clearly dealing with familial issues that probably are more complex than what we as outsiders know.

Yep, it's complicated.

– July 31, 2013 1:07 PM

George Clooney should play Bill

Yeah, he's too good for TV. But if he wants Hillary to win in 2016, he should offer to take the role of Bill. Having him in the role would make the Clintons seem Kennedy-esque.
Amy Argetsinger :

You know who is too Clooneyesque for the role? George Clooney. It is very, very hard for him to disappear into a role at this point and for viewers to not think "Oh, George Clooney." It would distract from the narrative.

– July 31, 2013 1:09 PM

"He should use Skype."

Wait, isn't that what SnapChat is for? Or so I hear?
Amy Argetsinger :

That's the one where you text someone and the message self-destructs in 10 seconds?

– July 31, 2013 1:09 PM

Weiner end game

Is there anything--any tawdry revelation--that could cause Anthony Weiner to drop out? Does he still have people funding his campaign at this point? Don't big donors sometimes tell the candidate to pull the plug?
Amy Argetsinger :

At this point, he's got nothing to lose by staying in.

– July 31, 2013 1:10 PM

Who plays Bill Clinton?

Sean Bean, Sean Bean, Sean Bean. Actually not because I think he'd necessarily be the best choice, I just like him (see: Sharpes Rifles, etc.). I wouldn't care if he couldn't do the Southern accent and just spoke in broad Yorkshire. I'd watch!
Amy Argetsinger :

I heartily endorse the Sean Bean idea. He's at the right level of fame, he's got the right physicality, and he'd (probably) be very good at it.

– July 31, 2013 1:13 PM

Why should Hillary be Huma's role model?

Doesn't she have a mom?! One doesn't learn relationship lessons from the boss... right?
Roxanne Roberts :

Hillary is like a second mother to Huma. So their relationship is complicated, too.

Chatters, time for us to get to work. Send your tips and sightings to reliablesource@washpost. com. We'll see you next week.

– July 31, 2013 1:14 PM