June 19, 2013

The Reliable Source Live

Washington Post columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, June 19, at noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, celebrity sightings and their recent columns.

Past Reliable Source chats

Amy Argetsinger :

Good morning and welcome back to the Reliable Source weekly chat. Some things on our radar lately:

America, Kanye and Kim’s baby is born, but we somehow still don’t have a name.

Ladies, Rupert Murdoch is back on the market, but the other shoe we've been waiting for still has not dropped.

Josh Duggar moves to D.C. for a new job in conservative politics.

James Cameron goes vegan at National Geographic's meat-eating dinner, urges you to do the same.

Activist Mark Krikorian loses his volunteer job.

Forget about Miss Utah — did any of the Miss USA contestants have a brilliant interview?

Also: Newt Gingrich gets a surprise for his 70th birthday. . .  Remember to count the silverware after Vladimir Putin comes to dinner. . . You cannot beat George H.W. Bush’s birthday socks.  . . Multi-hyphenate J-Lo adds TV exec to her resume. . .  Senate kids keep getting in trouble. . .  Generation X finally launches a ’90s hipster bookstore owner to federal power. . . Nancy Pelosi sings with Mary Wilson of the Supremes. Another eligible congressman is off the market. . . And R.I.P., Michael Hastings.

Looking forward to your questions.

CNN Joins the Morning Silliness

Morning news has been a habit since I was a kid. I gave up the Today Show because it went soft & was painful to watch. I was shocked to see that red sofa on CNN Monday morning. Did I miss the announcement? Does this bode well for CNN?
Roxanne Roberts :

This is there big morning revamp rollout but I tuned in this morning for news .... and got a soft feature about the co-hosts duck hunting. Not enough news; not impressed. I felt as if they were trying WAY too hard.

– June 19, 2013 12:04 PM

Lunch with Bono

I want to do that! POTUS, FLOTUS, and FKOTUS get all the fun!
Amy Argetsinger :

It was actually just FLOTUS and the kids who did lunch with Bono, actually. But I think it's a privilege that should be afforded to all Dublin tourists.

– June 19, 2013 12:06 PM

Kim's Baby

Has the baby signed a deal to have its own reality show?
Amy Argetsinger :

No idea, but I'm sure lawyers are standing by. . .

– June 19, 2013 12:06 PM

Putin

I am not trusting any of my rings or jewelry around Vladimir Putin, he's a thief.
Amy Argetsinger :

Now, now. Maybe it was just a bit of language barrier. And Kraft now insists he was just joking. (Hmmm, they got to him, did they?)

– June 19, 2013 12:07 PM

CNN Morning Show

I give Kate Bolduan around 6 months before she is replaced. They will apply the Matt Lauer rule to Chris Cuomo.

Amy Argetsinger :

What's the Matt Lauer rule -- that Matt Lauer stays, regardless?

– June 19, 2013 12:08 PM

Can I ask a really reprehensible question?

Do you think its possible that Kim and Kanye intentionally had their baby early to gel better with publicity?
Roxanne Roberts :

I can understand why you think that -- because every single thing they do seems to be calculated for more headlines and she was reportedly due just about the time the royal baby is expected, which would have cut into their spotlight. The fact that Kim had a C-section adds to that. BUT...it is possible that the baby deided to come early, as babies are wont to do, and that we're all just jumping to conclusions because K & K are such publicity junkies.  In short, I don't think we'll ever really know.

– June 19, 2013 12:09 PM

George HW Bush

When did he start the whole loud socks thing? Obviously not when he was president. Kind of seems like he kept his closeted blue-blood styles under wraps while in politics, but then allowed it to come back when leaving office.
Roxanne Roberts :

I haven't been paying attention to his socks. Maybe it's more of a "I'm old and now do whatever I like" thing. Personally, I thought the socks were fun.

– June 19, 2013 12:10 PM

Daddy Kanye

This is possibly a terrible thing to say ... but I kept looking for some reference to Kanye's other children, the two he had with this woman or one with this woman or whatever, some reference to him already fathering three or four or five kids already ... but I can't find anything. Is this baby his first? If so, I have more respect for him.
Amy Argetsinger :

For a multi-platinum superstar, Kanye West had a fairly boring love life until now, that we know of. He got engaged to pre-fame girlfriend Alexis in 2006, but they broke up in '08; and then he spent a couple years with Amber Rose. And then, well, he met Kim.

– June 19, 2013 12:11 PM

Michael Hastings

I hate to jump to conclusions about how he died, but being out driving at 4 am never results in good.

Amy Argetsinger :

Nothing good happens at that hour.

– June 19, 2013 12:12 PM

K & K are such publicity junkies.

And don't forget his new album is on its way...
Roxanne Roberts :

I haven't because he won't let me forget. It was in every story about the baby.

– June 19, 2013 12:13 PM

If a gun was held to you head

Who would you spend the night with: Putin or Murdoch?
Roxanne Roberts :

Oh, Putin in a heartbeat.

– June 19, 2013 12:14 PM

Mary Wilson of the Supremes

Was she the one played by Jennifer Hudson in the movie?
Amy Argetsinger :

No, the Jennifer Hudson character ("Effie") was based on the late Florence Ballard, who was the original lead singer for the Supremes, but got marginalized as a backup singer and later fired. Mary Wilson is the one who stayed with the Supremes until the bitter end, when none of the rest of the original lineup remained.

– June 19, 2013 12:14 PM

Kanye and Kim’s baby is born, but we somehow still don’t have a name.

I read somewhere online that her name is Kaidence Donda West. I almost wish I hadn't known.
Roxanne Roberts :

That's just one of the leaked three final choices for the baby's name. All K, all the time.

– June 19, 2013 12:15 PM

Sad day

A moment of silence for Slim Whitman? I assume you guys are re-doing the Style front page in his honor.
Amy Argetsinger :

It's a sad day for yodeling. R.I.P, Slim Whitman. In the meantime, please enjoy his "Indian Love Call."

– June 19, 2013 12:16 PM

Maybe Baby Kardashian will rebel

And actually go to college.
Roxanne Roberts :

Ha! Become an engineer, hate the spotlight, live a very private life.

– June 19, 2013 12:16 PM

Putin and The Ring

Why is the ring stealing news now? I definitely remember hearing about Putin stealing the ring and Kraft talking about it back when it happened. Why did this come up again, especially as new news?
Roxanne Roberts :

Kraft put out a statement at the time explaining why he "gave" the ring to Putin. The story came up again  last week when Kraft was accepting an award in New York and shared what really happened. For what it is worth: I believe Kraft's story.

– June 19, 2013 12:18 PM

I vote for Ms. South Carolina

That is a whole bunch of non-nonsensicalness.
Amy Argetsinger :

Truly, her amazing answer got overlooked with all the attention paid to Utah. Show those documents!

– June 19, 2013 12:19 PM

kardashi-kid

My vote is that the baby came on time and was not premature. The C-section could have been because there were biological reasons making a vaginal delivery difficult. It could also have been that Kim didn't want to go through labor, or was afraid of how lousy she'd look afterwards, and didn't want to damage her "brand". The pregnancy was announced during the 12/12 concert for Sandy victims. It would be weird and really premature (I realize who this is that I am writing about...) to announce a pregnancy at roughly 8 weeks - most miscarriages occur during the first trimester. I always assumed the baby was due in June as a result of the timing of the announcement. Plus, even allowing for her strange choices in maternity wear, she has looked ready to pop for at least a month, certainly since that horrid dress she wore to the Met gala this spring.
Roxanne Roberts :

Sound reasoning. And the dress was a spectacular fail -- she looked like a rose hedge.

– June 19, 2013 12:21 PM

Kanye/Kim

Remind me why they are famous. She for having her mom release a sex tape of her and Brandy's brother, and him for taking a microphone away from Taylor Swift and behaving like an "a-s" (Barack Obama's words, not mine)? Any other reason I should care about them?
Amy Argetsinger :

Well, he has not made a bad album, ever. "College Dropout" remains a favorite. And he also is non-stop hilarious, whether or not he's in on the joke (I have no idea). Meanwhile, this is not America's baby, this is his baby, so step off.

– June 19, 2013 12:21 PM

RE: C-section

That was just the initial reports. Later articles said it was a natural birth, not a C-section.
Roxanne Roberts :

Missed that, mostly because I find them so both uninteresting.

– June 19, 2013 12:22 PM

Kanye West

Well, maybe Kanye West will lighten up since he just had a baby. For such a famous multi-millionaire he always seems so angry.
Roxanne Roberts :

Nah. Happy and content people make bad copy/tv/etc. Must. Have. Drama.

– June 19, 2013 12:23 PM

No Baby Name Yet for KimyeSpawn

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant piece of marketing, if you ask me. The Kardashians have actually turned baby-naming into an anticipatory news item similar to waiting for the Vatican to name a Pope. So, for every day for the foreseeable future, we will continue to get "Francisco Franco is still dead"-type news announcements, while, all the while, the Kardashian media empire continues to drive up the price of the pay-for-play news/photo release to US/People/The New York Times, until white smoke appears from the Basilica chimney, and then we can spend another week discussing the suitability/silliness of the actual chosen name. Like I said, brilliant media manipulation -- it will surely be required coursework for college age communications majors in 2025.
Amy Argetsinger :

This is not so unusual, actually. A lot of celebrities have kept us waiting on a baby name, and whether it's because they (1) haven't decided; (2) want to have a window of privacy; (3) hope for a second day of publicity is unclear. Nor is this anything new, necessarily: A helpful AP story telling you everything you need to know to get ready for the birth of the royal baby notes that 30 years ago, they kept us waiting a week before announcing William's name.

– June 19, 2013 12:25 PM

$25,000 superbowl ring

I was in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and all the stories about the Ravens getting their rings, and the anchors were gushing over how they were worth $5K. Baltimore should feel totally shafted!!!
Roxanne Roberts :

Maybe the owner's ring has more diamonds? Or maybe the rings in 2005 were more blingy?

– June 19, 2013 12:26 PM

"hate the spotlight, live a very private life"

I believe the eldest Jackson daughter has taken this route. Peyton and Eli Manning's brother (i.e., Archie's other so) has, too. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples
Roxanne Roberts :

Even very famous names can live a very private life if they choose to do so. You don't see too many pictures of Bill Gates shopping or dining or taking his kids to school. You have to actively want the publicity to get followed all the time.

– June 19, 2013 12:28 PM

Kraft and the ring

He was stupid to be flashing it around Putin in the first place.

I agree.

– June 19, 2013 12:28 PM

Miss USA

Pardon perhaps a dumb question -- but what is the difference between Miss America and Miss USA? I remember Miss America happening in the winter, but what is the deal with this one? Is this the one where Donald Trump always plants a secret harlot in there so he can fire her and get headlines?
Amy Argetsinger :

Miss America is the somewhat more wholesome and earnest pageant, where the contestants compete in talent competitions and take on advocacy causes. Lately it's been held in Las Vegas in January, but they are now going back to the historic format of Atlantic City in September. . . Miss USA started in the 1950s, and it's way more sex-kittenish. Big hair, big boobs, model-flawless faces. There's no talent portion, and perky wholesomeness is not particularly valued. It also has much higher ratings.

– June 19, 2013 12:29 PM

Kanye

Never made a bad album? I thought Watch The Throne was really disappointing.
Amy Argetsinger :

The first half was great.

– June 19, 2013 12:29 PM

Documents, DNA, Phone records

And these questions were posed by a pop star, a designer, two reality TV personalities, and a comedian. I'll cut Mo some slack, because he appears on public radio. But could any of the judges have answered any better?
Amy Argetsinger :

Good point, made even better in this thoughtful NPR story.

– June 19, 2013 12:31 PM

Celebrity babies

I don't ask this to be flip--it's not a topic that is wholly inappropriate to be flip about--but I do wonder. At what point during the news process would we find out if, God forbid, some tragedy struck during the birth or recovery? Say the baby has a birth defect? Or some life threatening complication? Or, and I don't even want to think about this happening to any family, dies? And how does the celebrity news machine process that?
Roxanne Roberts :

Typically, celebrities ask for "privacy at this very difficult time." And they usually get it because it is the decent thing to do. But -- when there's a mystery behind the death, i.e. Michael Jackson, all bets are off the tabloid machine goes into hyperdrive.

– June 19, 2013 12:32 PM

$$ for baby pix?

Some celebs donate the proceeds of their new baby's pictures to charity. Reportedly Kim K. wants as much money as possible for photos of the baby, but presumably will pocket the dough. In my fantasies the media just say, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Hahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahha!

– June 19, 2013 12:33 PM

Baby K

I gotta say I found the name kinda cute, not nearly as abominable as I'd have expected. The spelling (Kaidence) is pretty funky, though.
Amy Argetsinger :

"Kaidence" right now is just a rumor, not confirmed and possibly unlikely. But somehow everyone is more likely to believe that than "North." (Sorry, In Touch Weekly -- not buying it.)

– June 19, 2013 12:33 PM

Michael Hastings

I understand what you're saying about 4am, however, reporters do not have 9-5 jobs. He may have had a very legit reason to be out at that hour.
Amy Argetsinger :

Not saying he didn't have a good reason to be out. It's just a dreadful time to be out.

– June 19, 2013 12:34 PM

Naming future-King William

Just noting that they took so long because they had to likely to talked into William as a name, as the hardliners wanted the name to be a sign of continuing efforts to repress the Catholics and knew that naming the child after William of Orange would be a strong signal. Well played, Margaret Thatcher.
Amy Argetsinger :

Uh, thanks for your thoughts.

– June 19, 2013 12:34 PM

baby name

I'm lobbying for Kimye.

"Kimchi."

– June 19, 2013 12:34 PM

Kaidence???

Even by celebrity standards, that is patently ridiculous.
Amy Argetsinger :

If it's true, it's actually fairly banal by celebrity standards. That's why I don't believe it.

– June 19, 2013 12:35 PM

Super Bowl Ring

The difference in price might be due to a couple of things. They might actually have different values (I'm not sure, but it's possible the team creates & pays for the rings?) or the difference in the quoted value of the Ravens rings and the estimated value of the Kraft ring might be the difference between what the rings cost to create vs. what they would command on the open market. I'm sure that Joe Flacco's ring is worth more than $5K if he were to sell it - and that value will go up if he gets into the HoF, etc....
Roxanne Roberts :

Good points. I think the original value has to do with the materials, then the wearer, etc.

– June 19, 2013 12:36 PM

Why is Kayne famous?

Don't forget "George Bush doesn't care about black people!"
Amy Argetsinger :

He's the post-modern multi-media entertainer of the decade. I'm still partial to his Taylor Swift fracas.

– June 19, 2013 12:36 PM

Miss America vs. Miss USA

Doesn't Miss USA go on to compete in Miss Universe, while Miss America is a terminal achievement?
Amy Argetsinger :

That is correct. Last year's Miss USA Olivia Culpo ended up winning Miss Universe, which mean that Miss Maryland Nana Meriwether, her first runner-up, got to take over the Miss USA crown.

– June 19, 2013 12:37 PM

Miss USA ...

... also feeds contestants into Miss Universe.
Amy Argetsinger :

And both Miss USA and Miss Universe are owned by the inimitable Donald Trump.

– June 19, 2013 12:38 PM

I just had the most horrible thought...

Do you think they filmed the birth?
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh, one assumes. Would you even be shocked by that?

– June 19, 2013 12:38 PM

Driving drunk in New Orleans

I didn't even know that was illegal...

It's a new era.

– June 19, 2013 12:39 PM

Kanye's Moments of Fame

Kanye was wrong -- the Taylor Swift video was better than the Beyonce Knowles video.
Amy Argetsinger :

Now you're just being difficult. You know that's not true. Kanye may have been rude, but he spoke the truth, which is his special quality. "It’s only led me to complete awesomeness at all times. It’s only led me to awesome truth and awesomeness. Beauty, truth, awesomeness. That’s all it is."

– June 19, 2013 12:42 PM

pageants

Saw a documentary on beauty pageants a few years back on PBS. They said the Miss USA pageant was started in the 1950s by Coppertone, which had been a sponsor of Miss America. The company wanted Miss America to add a bikini segment to the pageant, but Miss America reacted to that with shock because women of ill repute wear bikinis, and Miss America does not encourage such behavior. So Coppertone went off and started their own pageant.
Amy Argetsinger :

Close. It was the swimsuit manufacturer Catalina -- not Coppertone -- which got aggrieved when Miss America 1950 Yolanda Betbeze refused to pose in their swimsuits. So they started their own pageant, Miss USA.

– June 19, 2013 12:44 PM

From last week's chat, which I missed and will never happen again.

One of you indicated that you thought that the coverage of Michael Jackson's daughter's accident was grotesque and an invasion of a child's privacy. But, she was tweeting her "suicide attempt", which make me a heck of a lot more sympathetic to the coverage. Just saying - the best protection of her privacy is to Take Away Her Twitter Account.
Roxanne Roberts :

Twitter is the worst thing that ever happened to celebrities. They get lulled into believing their fans care about every single thing they do, and it ends up biting them in the end. And then they complain about lack of privacy. It's nuts.

– June 19, 2013 12:44 PM

Miss America

Doesn't she go on to compete in Miss World?
Roxanne Roberts :

Nope. Miss America is just Miss America. Miss USA goes on to compete in Miss Universe. Miss World is another competition and, honestly, I don't know how they pick the United States representative for it.

– June 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Media respecting terminal pregnancies?

Yeah, unless they write about it in the Reliable Source...
Amy Argetsinger :

Rep. Jamie Herrera Beutler made a very sad public announcement of her baby's likely fatal disorder, which the media has duly reported, without much fuss or gawking that I've seen -- if that's what you're referring to.

– June 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Kim and Kanye's Kid

Does he have his own twitter account yet? Kids are starting younger and younger these days?
Roxanne Roberts :

It's a girl. But yeah, I bet she has one by the end of the week.

– June 19, 2013 12:48 PM

Kanye & Kim baby

I kind of thought the same thing about the delivery date. You have to admit it is a little ironic that they have the baby right before his album is released.

Or just amazing timing.

– June 19, 2013 12:48 PM

Beyonce Knowles Video

Her video was just a knockoff or another 30-year-old dance routine. She should have been ashamed. The Taylor Swift video, on the other hand, was epic. Kanye was wrong.
Amy Argetsinger :

I'mma let you finish -- but honestly, I don't even remember Taylor Swift's video from that year. Meanwhile, Beyonce's controversy-generating appropriating of older choreography is just part of her brilliant marketing strategy, and bless her for it. Otherwise, we wouldn't be spending time at our desks obsessing over old Gwen Verdon dance routines.

– June 19, 2013 12:49 PM

Kaidence

was his late mother's name. Yes, I'm embarrassed that I know this.
Amy Argetsinger :

His late mother was Donda West. (And according to some rumors, the baby's middle name will be Donda. But for crying out loud, can't we just wait and be surprised by whatever they pick? Let's move on!)

– June 19, 2013 12:50 PM

Yolanda Betbeze

Didn't she become a DC socialite?
Amy Argetsinger :

Yes she did indeed. And she had a longtime relationship with the dashing Algerian diplomat Cherif Guellal.

– June 19, 2013 12:52 PM

celebrity birth tapes

Surprised we haven't seen more of these leaked. The obvious companion to celebrity sex tapes.
Amy Argetsinger :

I don't think there's a market for it.

– June 19, 2013 12:53 PM

That baby name needs a little extra something

Maybe an apostrophe, K'dence, or something. K'dence.

– June 19, 2013 12:54 PM

Kanye West

Kanye should welcome the baby publicity. To be honest, its the only "good" gossip I ever hear about him. I never read about him doing great things for people like Oprah or Tyler Perry.
Roxanne Roberts :

Hmmm. Maybe his charity work is behind-the-scenes. Oh, wait...

– June 19, 2013 12:55 PM

Kaidence

Maybe it's just me, but if I had to guess, with no prior knowledge, I'd guess Kaidence was a boy whose parents had country music leanings.
Amy Argetsinger :

Oh yeah? Well, "Cadence" has sat solidly among the top 200 or 300 baby names -- for girls -- over the past decade, believe it or not. Kaydence and Kadence have been not that far behind. Those names are more common than, say, Joan or Linda or Helen these days.

– June 19, 2013 12:58 PM

K baby

I'm rooting for "The letter formerly known as J".

Nice.

– June 19, 2013 12:58 PM

Miss America vs. Miss USA

Isn't Miss America the one where they pretend the payout is a "scholarship"?
Amy Argetsinger :

Not sure, but it might be that you actually have to use the money for school.

– June 19, 2013 12:59 PM

RE: "I never read about [Kanye] doing great things for people like Oprah or Tyler Perry."

Why would anyone expect Kanye to have to do great things for Oprah or Tyler Perry? Can't they do great things on their own?

Hahaha.

– June 19, 2013 1:04 PM

Kaidence is awful

I can see the other kids torturing her now...."Hey, KaiDUNCE!" It will torment her forever.
Amy Argetsinger :

The whole notion that kids will be tormented because of their "unusual" names -- there's no such thing as an unusual name anymore.

– June 19, 2013 1:04 PM

Joan, Linda & Helen

Those are just far too easy to spell.... But, maybe Mad Men will bring Joan back? Or maybe Jown, or J'on.... or Jhon?

Hasn't happened yet. . .

– June 19, 2013 1:06 PM

Sarah's self-proclaimed "fertility"

At her age, isn't Sarah Palin likely past her fertilize date?
Amy Argetsinger :

Either way, it's an unusual claim to fame.

– June 19, 2013 1:07 PM

might be that you actually have to use the money for school

Hahahahahaha!!! You guys crack me up.
Roxanne Roberts :

We aim to please! And tell the truth!

Enough for today, so send your tips, sightings and thoughts to reliablesource@washpost.com. Enjoy this perfect summer weather, and we'll see you next week.

– June 19, 2013 1:07 PM