January 3, 2011

The List: What's in and what's out in 2011

Host: Monica Hesse

Monica Hesse

Monica Hesse is a staff writer for the Post Style section. She frequently writes about culture, the Web and the intersection of the two.

Read the The Web Hostess Archive .
Host: Dan Zak

Dan Zak

Dan Zak is a reporter for the Style section. He writes about snow. And diners. And the endearing wobbliness of the country.

Washington Post writers Dan Zak and Monica Hesse will be online Monday, Jan. 3 at 1 p.m. ET to discuss The List, Style's guide to what's in and what's out in 2011. They welcome your questions, additions and passionate dissent.

Monica Hesse :

Welcome to the live chat for the 2011 In/Out List. We're typing to you from 30 Rock (the cafeteria underneath, at least), having recently escaped the pancaked/mancaked clutches of Hoda and Kathie Lee, who invited us on the Today show to chat about The List (4th Hour of the Today Show: IN!) Hope you all had a pleasant New Year. We are now ready to accept your criticism and abuse. Let us proceed.

Sigh!

I am officially old at 36 because I had no idea what more than half of the items on both the in and out lists were! Depressing! Particularly since I remember poring over the list as a teenager and understanding ....
Monica Hesse :

Sigh not. The List is meant to be instructive and prescriptive -- a mental workout for even the pop cultury-ist of brains. If you didn't learn something from it, what would be the point of reading?

Besides, we had no idea what half the items were and we wrote the thing.

– January 03, 2011 1:01 PM

Sofalising

I've been sofalising my whole life. Finally, I'm in!
Dan Zak :

Have you graduated to the bedpan phase yet?

– January 03, 2011 1:02 PM

Diet Dr Pepper

DDP will never be out! NEVER! especially not to be replace with some cloying cherry-like product. Anecdotally, I see more people drinking DDP than almost all other soft drinks combined, in the haunts i frequent.
Monica Hesse :

Look, this was my item, and as a former DDP acolyte, I understand how much it sounds like crazytalking.

But have you tried Cherry Coke Zero? I promise you, it is the next cult-building diet soda that people will grumble about vending machines not stocking enough of.

– January 03, 2011 1:02 PM

Style

Cardigans, in or out for 2011?
Dan Zak :

I'm going to say IN, since I like to wear them. The bigger and rufflier the collar, the better.

– January 03, 2011 1:02 PM
Monica Hesse :

I support old man wear and retro librarian wear all of the time. And cardigans are the perfect intersection between the two. They cannot be more In.

– January 03, 2011 1:02 PM

Congress Heights

Good afternoon! As a resident of Congress Heights, I'm curious as to why it is considered "in" at this turn of the decade ... many thanks!
Dan Zak :

You need only click on the Congress Heights hyperlink on the List to see a blog devoted to chronicling the rise and whys of the neighborhood, which is one of the few lively AND affordable parts of the city. I have friends and acquaintances who are buying their first homes there. Of course, this = gentrification, so maybe it's not all such a good thing.

– January 03, 2011 1:03 PM
Monica Hesse :

Plus, we're just sick of hearing about H Street.

– January 03, 2011 1:03 PM

DC

How can there be so many things that are "out" that I've never even heard of? I'm pretty young and kind of hip, and I read the Post every day. Seriously--when were these things in?
Monica Hesse :

We try to have a blend of accessible pop culture items, and random niche items that will mostly appeal to hardcore fans. Example: our classical music critic, Ann Midgette, was the one who recommended the two opera couples and Out and In. One couple had recently divorced; the other was having an adorable baby. Dan and I aren't personally up on the opera scene, but we liked having a shout-out to those who follow that sort of thing.

– January 03, 2011 1:04 PM
Dan Zak :

And if you're flummoxed about a particular item, let us know and we will expound with vigor.

– January 03, 2011 1:04 PM

sinny jeans.

What's the cut-off age on the skinny jeans... Please say 18.
Dan Zak :

I think there's a cut-off thigh size, not a cut-off age. I'm a relatively skinny guy, and my thighs are still too big for skinny jeans.

– January 03, 2011 1:05 PM
Monica Hesse :

I only wear them when I feel that my ego needs a good humiliation.

– January 03, 2011 1:05 PM

Location

Where can I find the list?
Jodi Westrick :

You can find it right here!

– January 03, 2011 1:05 PM

Skinny Jeans

When will skinny jeans die (again)? Are they a flash in the pan or do they really have staying power?
Monica Hesse :

We didn't even put them on the List because we did not feel their bad behavior warranted any more attention. And yet, that's all y'all want to talk about.

– January 03, 2011 1:06 PM
Dan Zak :

Do we think jeans will ever be out? Jorts were all the rage these past couple years. It feels like denim will live forever, in one form or fashion.

– January 03, 2011 1:06 PM

Honica Messe

So nice to see you, Monica, in a context other than your Web chat. It's like meeting the prim girl from school in a nightclub. (I promise not to flex my biceps for you or do pushups in front of you on the dancefloor.)
Monica Hesse :

I would still wear a dinosaur sweatshirt to a night club.

– January 03, 2011 1:07 PM

missed one

IN: Donovan Mcabb OUT: Donovan McNabb

That sounds about right.

– January 03, 2011 1:07 PM

Hipsters

Q: How do you tell a Hippie from a Hipster? A: Hippies smell like patrouli while Hipsters smell like a false sense of accomplishment.

This is accurate.

– January 03, 2011 1:09 PM
Monica Hesse :

Accurate except for the fact that it is spelled "patchouli." Everything else is correct.

– January 03, 2011 1:09 PM

Dubstep

Will Dubstep gain popularity in 2011?
Dan Zak :

This is a question for our pop music critic, Chris Richards. Chris, are you out there? Tell us about the future of dubstep.

– January 03, 2011 1:10 PM

My List

In: Outsiders, Luddism, Brave New World. Out: Insiders, Technology, 1984. P.S. Has Dan Zak had his head expanded (a la Kananga in Live and Let Die) or has Monica Hesse had hers shrunk (a la Beetlejuice in Beetle Juice)?

Monica Hesse :

Oh, my head is exceptionally small. But my shoes are so pretty! Did you see them?

– January 03, 2011 1:10 PM
Dan Zak :

And my head is exceptionally big. It looks even bigger in photographs. I can't wear hats. Literally. Plus, my hair is grotesquely long and misshapen right now.

– January 03, 2011 1:10 PM

Why are people so upset?

I'm saddened by the many comments here complaining about how the post's list is too obscure or has too many things on it that people have never heard of. To them, that makes it terrible but I think that makes it better. Such rage -- is this just people afraid that the list makes them feel old? (it makes me feel old, but it also stirs my curiosity. isn't that what it's supposed to do?) Or is it because so many of the comments on the post web site are just outraged in general?
Monica Hesse :

Last year, we had people tell us it was too easy. A gal can't get a break.

I do think it's interesting that people's gut reaction, when they don't understand something, to say "That's stupid."

– January 03, 2011 1:15 PM
Dan Zak :

People just like to be angry. They need to take a breath and realize that it's just a List. And that they're wrong if they disagree with us.

– January 03, 2011 1:15 PM

Lady Gaga has a new album coming out

I assume meat is out. What in? Dessert? Would Palin approve?
Monica Hesse :

Sarah Palin is making a giant S'more for the whole country.

– January 03, 2011 1:15 PM

out

I guess I need to add myself to the "out" list since I didn't recognize or understand about 90% of your lists.
Dan Zak :

You're not alone. The List is deliberately opaque. Also, what use would the List be if you knew everything on it? Don'tcha wanna learn something about trivial things?

– January 03, 2011 1:16 PM

I do, Dan. I do.

– January 03, 2011 1:16 PM

Joel McHale

Finally the cult following of Joel McHale has been lauded on your list. My brother and I love "Talk Soup" and I'm getting him into watching "Community". Are there any other "in" comedy?
Dan Zak :

Community was really terrible at first, but then I checked back in a couple months ago and it's become this dadaist pseudo-masterpiece about the Herculean struggle to get through a weekday.

– January 03, 2011 1:19 PM
Monica Hesse :

I think "Raising Hope" is surprisingly endearing, in terms of comedies that premiered this fall. Different kind of funny than "Community," though. More of a "drunk mom" kind of funny. But better, since the drunk mom is played by Martha Plimpton.

– January 03, 2011 1:19 PM

mohawks

I saw a lot of kids with mohawks last summer. Are they in/out/never in/never out?
Monica Hesse :

The mohawk trend shall rise and fall with Puck's changing hair on "Glee."

Except we're pretty sure that "Glee" is Out.

– January 03, 2011 1:19 PM

jobs

Please tell me that unemployment is out and jobs are in...
Dan Zak :

Last year funemployment was out. I think funemployment has gotten less fun since Jan. 1, 2010. And the only person who can tell us if jobs are in are Obama and Boehner (Oboehner? Boehama?).

– January 03, 2011 1:19 PM

Timing Is Everything

Out: publishing The List on washingtonpost.com on December 30. In: honoring The List's divinely-ordained place on Style page 1 1/1.
Monica Hesse :

Oddly, one of the things we learned when retyping 30 years worth of List archives (Yes we did. Retype them by hand. Please go look through them) is that The List has not always landed on January 1. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, it could fall any time in the last week of December. Sacrilege!

– January 03, 2011 1:19 PM
Dan Zak :

Unless your home life is a tad askew, no one was holding a gun to your head and demanding that you read the List online. But please do look through the archives (which are in a drop-down menu on the main List page). It's tremendously amusing. From the 1978 List: OUT: Farrah Fawcett curls. IN: Princess Leia coils.

– January 03, 2011 1:19 PM

Pro Bowl is back in Hawaii, too!

Out: Obama wasting time on a Hawaii vacation. In: Obama getting needed rest on a Hawaii vacation.
Monica Hesse :

Even more in: sending us on a Hawaiian vacation. I'm pushing for a Live from Honolulu version of the List next year.

– January 03, 2011 1:22 PM
Dan Zak :

In order for us to do the live chat from Hawaii next year, you should all buy a print subscription.

– January 03, 2011 1:22 PM

baldness

It seems that baldness went out with the passing of Yul Brynner. Is there any chance that us cool bald guys will be back "in" this year?
Dan Zak :

As long as White House chef Sam Kass is in town, baldness will be in. Behold.

– January 03, 2011 1:24 PM

Ballerinas in, zombies out

Wow, those ballerinas kicked zombies out of being in. That must have been some interesting battle.
Monica Hesse :

In the past five years, with the vampires/werewolves/zombies rigamarole, we have officially exhausted every supernatural being in existence. And with "Black Swan," we have finally realized that there is nothing scarier than a starving girl who needs a sandwich and could pirhouette you to death with her sinewy legs.

– January 03, 2011 1:25 PM
Dan Zak :

We'll never look at a hangnail the same way again.

– January 03, 2011 1:25 PM

Can you have one without the other?

Glad to see NKOTB on the list, but would they be "out" if BSB wasn't attached to the end?
Dan Zak :

I think both groups need each other to be in. We love the acronym NKOTBSB. They're touring this year. (I may or may not have danced to "I Want It That Way" when 2011 was only minutes old.)

– January 03, 2011 1:25 PM
Monica Hesse :

That, Dan, is because you have The Right Stuff.

– January 03, 2011 1:25 PM

Old In and Outers

Not that I wouldn't be happy to see Betty White spend some time away from the limelight(and I was a fan back to the Password days), but what has Ann Meara recently done that suggests shes "IN" this year ?
Monica Hesse :

Have you seen her YouTube series with husband Jerry Stiller?

She will out-sass Betty White, any time, any place.

– January 03, 2011 1:28 PM

In and out

Are "In and Out" lists still in?
Dan Zak :

Through the years, "lists" have routintely be labeled OUT by this very List. Troll the archives and you'll see that the List has always been both monstrously self-conscious AND winningly headstrong.

– January 03, 2011 1:28 PM
Monica Hesse :

It's very meta that way, meta being a term that is definitely Out.

– January 03, 2011 1:28 PM

My tweed budget is limited

Are Dandies Out or In?

Dan Zak :

Conspicuous dandyism -- which may be a redundant phrase -- is OUT. And annoying as heck. Natural, organic dandyism is actually just called "class." Or "grace."

And yes, tweed riders. You are out. One ride was enough.

– January 03, 2011 1:31 PM

POlitical IN/Out

Out: Bipartisanship In: Political Corruption Investigations
Dan Zak :

As evidenced by one of our items, we want censures to be OUT. The real way to teach a lesson to a corrupt Congressman is to spank him in the middle of the chamber. Swift, embarrassing, stinging. Unlike censures, which are ponderous and ineffectual.

– January 03, 2011 1:32 PM

Submissions

What were your favorite additions that were submitted over readers during the last few days?
Monica Hesse :

I was a fan of Out: Natalie Portman In: Olivia Wilde, mostly becuase we'd considered a similar item.

All of the reader-submitted suggestions can be found here.

– January 03, 2011 1:33 PM
Dan Zak :

I like all of the submissions that reference right-wingers, left-wingers and Jesus Christ. There's a segment of the WaPo reader population who will use ANY forum as a stage to air their socio-religio-political grievances.

– January 03, 2011 1:33 PM

links

"Monica Hesse : People, if you don't understand something, we have placed easily clickable links to take you to sites that will explain everything in wondrous detail! Le sigh." Unfortunately my paper copy of the Post doesn't come with hyperlinks.
Dan Zak :

Are you live-chatting with us via your print copy? If not, then you are on a computer. If you are on a computer, you have access to our hyperlinks.

– January 03, 2011 1:34 PM
Monica Hesse :

Right. The people who have no Internet access take the time to call us up and tell us we are stupid over the phone. Which we appreciate infinitely more.

– January 03, 2011 1:34 PM

Vanilla Ice

OK, just so I am clear: Vanilla Ice is still "out", right?
Monica Hesse :

The answer to that depends entirely on how surreal you found his home renovation reality show to be. I personally feel it worked on many levels.

– January 03, 2011 1:35 PM

The Soup

I hate to be all McHale-ier than thou, but I reject the previous poster who claims to be all about all things tall and lanky but doesn't even know the show hasn't been called "Talk Soup" since it was relaunched with McHale. So. As an atheist follower of McHale and watcher of The Guild, am I dangerously close to being hip all of a sudden?
Monica Hesse :

Yes. If you get much hipper, you will have to be Out, since that's the way these things work.

– January 03, 2011 1:36 PM

Baldness

Shaving your head so that you have no hair is not the same as Baldness. (If you don't get that check out Curb Your Enthuisiasm).
Dan Zak :

Google image Sam Kass. In some photos, you will clearly see head stubble, and you will clearly see male-pattern baldness.

– January 03, 2011 1:36 PM
Monica Hesse :

This is why I firmly believe men should just start shaving their heads in their late 30s. Just go ahead and beat nature.

Women, too.

– January 03, 2011 1:36 PM

Lobster Claws

Thanks for including that. I now understand what Lady Gagas shoes reminded me of.
Dan Zak :

They're ridiculous. Even for Gaga.

– January 03, 2011 1:37 PM

Are innies out or in?

Are outies in or out? Is outing still in?
Dan Zak :

In the span of nine words you're asking us about both belly buttons and public homosexuality?

– January 03, 2011 1:41 PM
Monica Hesse :

Or maybe just the bellybuttons of gay celebrities.

– January 03, 2011 1:41 PM

The List

Hi Dan and Cupcake - I thought the list was great! Having, you know, been at the office during the 4th hour of Today, some of us missed it. Can you give us a link?

The link is  here.

Dan is the pretty one. I am the one, as we have already established, with the great shoes and the tiny head. Hoda and Kathie Lee are the ones who appear to be completely sauced.

– January 03, 2011 1:41 PM
Dan Zak :

I hate being on television. We're on our best behavior here. The Post's PR person had to coach me to be nice and inoffensive. Our item about the 4th hour of the "Today" show isn't exactly intended as flattery. (Speaking of which, did that item make sense to anyone? Theories? Questions about it?)

– January 03, 2011 1:41 PM

too lazy to Google

I was so glad to have graduated to reading the list on-line instead of trying to figure out the meanings from the printed version - thank you hyperlinks! Of course, I was too lazy to Google anything that wasn't hyperlinked. Please explain "Brobdingnagian".

Oh, fine.

"Epic" is a lazy and overused term to describe anything amazingly brilliant.

"Brobdingnagian" is a term coined by Jonathan Swift to mean, essentially, "Epic," except it's a word that actually sounds epic and important.

Let's bring it back. Help us.

– January 03, 2011 1:42 PM

Out: Belly buttons

In: Belly buttons

Okay!

– January 03, 2011 1:42 PM

World War II Out, World War I In

Not sure I would describe these as trivial, pop-cultural events. One might as well say that dying in a gas chamber is "out" and dying face down in the mud is "in." Can you explain their inclusion on the list?

– January 03, 2011 1:44 PM

Nerds and a waitress

My problem with "Community" is that it is opposite "Big Bang Theroy." Is a comedy about nerdy Physics professors and a waitress in or or out?

Dan Zak :

I've watched snippets of "Big Bang" in passing. It feels like a slightly more verbose "Two and a Half Men." I'd rather someone punch me in the face than force me to watch shows like that.

– January 03, 2011 1:44 PM

Glaring Omission

Where was Bieber on the list? I'm not sure I can take another year of him being "in"?
Dan Zak :

I am slightly now ashamed that we called Bieber IN on the 2010 List, but he kind of was. He is most definitely OUT now, though. Him and his lesbian haircut.

– January 03, 2011 1:45 PM
Monica Hesse :

"Justin Bieber is a girl" jokes are also out, though. It's just too fish and barrel.

– January 03, 2011 1:45 PM

kent tekulve

Is there any chance that Kent Tekulve will be writing for the style section in 2011? I hear he's the best!
Dan Zak :

You've stumped us. Is this supposed to be funny?

– January 03, 2011 1:46 PM

Cupcake

Do we need to call you "Sweetie Pie" now in order to be "in"?
Monica Hesse :

I will still answer to Cupcake. Mostly because I do not want to go by "Whoopie." There is only one woman alive who can make that work.

– January 03, 2011 1:46 PM

[Anne Meara] will out-sass Betty White, any time, any place

I'm waiting for Elaine May to be "in" again (with or without Mike Nichols)!
Dan Zak :

Ooh, Elaine May! Where is she? She was great in Small Time Crooks, like, a decade ago. Someone find her.

– January 03, 2011 1:46 PM

Another one...

Out: Confused Dweebs who complain how obscure the List is. Also Out: Moralizing Dunderheads who criticize the Confused Dweebs for complaining.
Monica Hesse :

Is anyone In in your world?

– January 03, 2011 1:48 PM

links redux

Well, when I read your "list" it was in the paper paper. At this point I can't be bothered to follow your links. It is old news now.

This is true.

– January 03, 2011 1:48 PM

We are so, so sorry.

– January 03, 2011 1:48 PM

Googling Baldness

No, I get it. Guys start going bald and then shave their heads as a fashion choice. Again, watch Larry David declaim against those who shave their heads.

Okay fine you win.

– January 03, 2011 1:48 PM

Dan Zak = Superman II's "Non" without the beard

What do you think?

Monica Hesse :

Hoda? Kathie Lee? Is that you?

This man looks nothing like  Dan.

– January 03, 2011 1:50 PM
Dan Zak :

Ohmygod I get that ALL the time. Non and William H. Macy.

– January 03, 2011 1:50 PM

Pittsburgh Pirates fan

Kent "Teke" Tekulve was only one of the greatest relief pitchers EVER! He's now involved with the Washington (PA) Wild minor league baseball team. And he's a really great guy!
Dan Zak :

Please welcome our special chat guest, Ken Tekulve's agent.

– January 03, 2011 1:50 PM

2011

In: Being yourself. Out: Listening to people tell you what's cool.
Monica Hesse :

Oh, I support this sentiment, despite the fact that it is a dig at The List. We see what you're doing there.

– January 03, 2011 1:51 PM
Dan Zak :

So you are wasting your time telling us that we're wasting your time. What a splendid life decision.

– January 03, 2011 1:51 PM

Today show segment

Holy cow - Hoda and Kathie Lee really DO seem sauced! They hardly let you guys get a word in edgewise. Is that what that hour is always like? Yikes.
Monica Hesse :

In person, they were sparkly and lovely, and we left the set feeling vaguely disoriented and confused about what had just happened. Then we ate a giant cookie.

– January 03, 2011 1:52 PM
Dan Zak :

They kiss-hello. They do not kiss-goodbye.

– January 03, 2011 1:52 PM

Dance moves I can't do?

How about "The Dougie" ? Some people I know (who can't really do it) are all about it. Or, is there another dance craze that I'm not aware of?
Dan Zak :

The Dougie is something that needs to be taught. As soon as you learn it, though, it's OUT.

– January 03, 2011 1:54 PM

Generations

A.Monica Hesse : The centennial anniversary of World War I is coming up, and we're expecting we'll soon start to see a rash of great movies and books celebrating the silent generation. We are excited. – January 3, 2011 1:44 PM _____________ I think you mean the Lost Generation. The Silent Generation was WWII and Korea.
Monica Hesse :

Oy, mistype! The cookie is addling my brain. Thanks.

– January 03, 2011 1:54 PM

Reporter's job

Dan writes about snow and diners? Are you kidding me? That's news?
Dan Zak :

That's literally all I write about. Snow and diners. That's it. Someone has to!

– January 03, 2011 1:56 PM

The Salahis

Okay, so we know that they're Out -- is the reason that they're not on The List becasue you couldn't find a counter-point "In" to balance their out-ness?
Monica Hesse :

They were just too Out to be Out, since most of their hullabaloo happened at the beginning of 2010. We try to look at what's peaking right now and forecast for the future, rather than including stuff that's already been dragged through the mud on an Indian sari.

– January 03, 2011 1:56 PM

Paul Farhi

Speaking of baldness what's happened to Paul Farhi's chat? And why does WAPO-DOT-COM keep cancelling all the good ones (yours excepted, Monica)?

Hi Paul!

– January 03, 2011 1:58 PM

Monica Hesse :

Also, let it be known that Dan does not only write about snow and diners. I know this because I have personally co-bylines stories about Jesus statues struck by lightning and wacky North Korean dictators with him.

Therefore, we have all of your news needs covered.

The Country

Will the Post acknowledge that in the House of Representatives regard for the concept of limited government is "IN," and overnight-pressured legislation is "OUT"? Julian Tepper Placitas, NM
Dan Zak :

Government ain't never gonna be limited. It's the government! It does what it wants.

– January 03, 2011 1:59 PM

Editing ffice

This is weird. We keep composing that the Salahis are "out" but when we go to print, their names wind up over in the "in" section.

Hahahaha.

– January 03, 2011 2:00 PM

Dan Zak :

And with that, we're off. Thanks for chatting. We love you. Please continue to browse the List archives, submit your own items, comment, and so on -- year round -- at www.washingtonpost.com/thelist. If you tumbl, please find me and Monica at the Style tumblr. If you twitter, follow us at @MonicaHesse and @MrDanZak. And Monica chats every Wednesday at 2 p.m. Sayonara.