January 3, 2013

A.M.

The List: Discuss what's in and what's out

Host: Monica Hesse

Monica Hesse

Monica Hesse is a staff writer for the Post Style section. She frequently writes about culture, the Web and the intersection of the two.

Read the The Web Hostess Archive .
Host: Dan Zak

Dan Zak

Dan Zak is a general assignment reporter based in the Style section. Previous assignments include Seattle for the 2010 mid-term elections, Louisiana and Mississippi for the BP oil leak, Sunset Boulevard for the Vanity Fair Oscar party, Iraq for the final months of the U.S. military presence, the White House for official and casual pageantry, profiles of the famous and non-famous, and rural Virginia, exurban Maryland and non-federal Washington for the odd feature story. Previously covered southern Maryland for the Metro section and co-bylined the Three Wise Guys humor column. Joined the Post in 2005, after stints as an editorial assistant at Entertainment Weekly and a city-desk reporter and obituary writer at The Buffalo News. Born and raised in Buffalo, N.Y.

Washington Post writers Dan Zak and Monica Hesse were online Thursday, Jan. 3, at 12 p.m. ET to discuss The List, Style's guide to what's in and what's out in 2013. They welcomed your additions, dissent and clown questions.

Dan Zak :

Welcome to 2013. Before we start, Monica and I would like to open with a heartfelt message: Last year's List was really, very, irrefutably spot-on. Just clairvoyant to an extreme. We predicted the collapse of Groupon (Groupon / Coupons), the sidelining of Tim Tebow (Tebowing / Hunting the God particle), Jessica Chastain's ascent (rave reviews for "Zero Dark Thirty"), and the explosion of Pinterest. And 11 months in advance we called the election (Drama / Obama) and Kate Middleton's pregnancy (Pippa's bum / Kate's uterus). So we will now receive your glad tidings. Oh wait, some of you seem to be unhappy. Here we go:

Children of Hank

I'm fairly sure Hank Stuever isn't terribly interested in passing on his genes, but I think if he was up for fathering children, he'd wish they'd be like you both.
Monica Hesse :

Much like Athena, we sprung fully formed from Hank's head.

– January 03, 2013 12:02 PM

Monica, Monica, Monica...

While #HTTR is an appropriate IN comment for this football season, Please note that George Clooney is always in, and never shall be out, as long as he does cool things like make movies like "the Decendents", the "Stare at Goats" thing, the one where he is the lead singer of the "Soggy Mountain Boys" and the one where he mikes up and makes Tilda Swinton give up the goods. If he made Transformers movies, then he'd be out in a minute, but he doesn't. And I'm a guy. Dig?
Monica Hesse :

No no. Your brain is not working strenuously or diabolically enough. In order to understand why Clooney is OUT, you must look at who we carefully chose to be IN. That would be Eva Longoria, the newly-minted co-chair of President Obama's Inaugural Committee. Clooney is not OUT based on his acting choices. He is OUT because someone else has unseated him as the most politically active celebvocate-in-chief. Dig?

– January 03, 2013 12:02 PM

Clooney

George Clooney will never, ever, be out. For shame.
Dan Zak :

See above question. And I agree with you. Clooney will likely never be OUT. He gets good movies made, and does it with style.

– January 03, 2013 12:03 PM

Ham

I'm bummed that Iberico is out. It hasn't been that long that we could get Spanish ham here in the states. On the other hand, I have always loved country ham, so I'm good with that being in.
Monica Hesse :

If you love ham, there is really nothing to be disappointed about with this item. Additionally, here is a secret: Even when we say something is OUT, it is still technically legal to eat it.

– January 03, 2013 12:06 PM

Teen Angst In the East Wing

So is that 1600 Penn show starring the guy from Book of Mormon supposed to be any good?
Monica Hesse :

We initially had "1600 Penn" as an "IN" (replacing Veep). A smart television person we know encouraged us to remove that item. Read into that what you will.

– January 03, 2013 12:07 PM
Dan Zak :

The Hollywood Reporter raved about it. That's the only rave I've heard.

– January 03, 2013 12:07 PM

Items That Make Me Go 'Huh?'

What do you think is the most obscure item on the Out List and what is the most well-known item on the In List?
Dan Zak :

The dining-scene item -- Charleston / Bentonville -- is pretty obscure. We were going to do Ermagherd! / Ermabombeck! -- just for laughs -- but decided that was beyond obscure, and quite nonsensical. We do try to have a bunch of "gettable" items. St. Germain / Sherry is pretty straightforward.

– January 03, 2013 12:08 PM
Monica Hesse :

I really, really miss Ermabombeck on the List. I think we all would have been better for it.

– January 03, 2013 12:08 PM

Memes

OK Cupcake, so if memes are out, what will we chat about during our regular weekely WashPo discussions now???
Monica Hesse :

Seriously, guys, how often do we stay on topic as is? (Hey everyone who's not already a regular -- Come by Wednesdays at 2 for the weekly chat.)

– January 03, 2013 12:09 PM

Tetherball

Hasn't Tetherball made the list several times over the years ? It seems real familiar to me and not just cause my friend Gary had a tetherball setup back in the '60's.
Monica Hesse :

It might have made an appearance at some point in the List's 35-year history. Trends ebb and flow. In the first decade or so of the List, red wine and white wine traded places every other year.

Another item that has been called "OUT" at least a dozen times on the List? Lists.

– January 03, 2013 12:09 PM

Angry Old Person

Your list stinks! /reads it every year
Dan Zak :

I think...this is...a compliment...in List form?

– January 03, 2013 12:11 PM

Shopping

How dare you out Costco?
Dan Zak :

I went to the new one last month. The Joe-Biden one. It took us forever to get to it. We could see it -- shining on a hill -- but couldn't find the access road. We eventually did, after driving halfway to the Beltway on Route 50. The employees are lovely, but I'm always on the verge of a panic attack in there. Plus, there was, like, a $25,000 ring in a display case right when you walk in. The place is confounding.

– January 03, 2013 12:11 PM

Present Company Excluded

Who was the greatest List writer?
Monica Hesse :

Good God, man, are you trying to get us killed?

The honest and truthful answer is that every List writer has brought some of their own personality to the Lists they write. Nina Hyde's were probably the most useful -- and therefore maybe the most eagerly anticipated. I think Hank is probably the List-maker we look to most for inspiration and guidance. What Would Hank Do? I ask myself that almost every List day. And sometimes I ask Hank directly.

– January 03, 2013 12:14 PM

IN: Wrong Grammar

OUT: YOUR, as in the possessive form of you. IN: YOUR, as in "you are" or "you're", because so many get this wrong, we might as well dumb down the grammar. So now on Twitter, blogs, message boards, etc., "Your a moron" will be a gramatically correct insult.

– January 03, 2013 12:14 PM

In/Out

Why must we be forced to work in the constraints of a binary system? Can it not be that an entity could be a third option? Maybe it is so benign it is neither? Or maybe it it so blindingly hot that it is Inneringly In?
Dan Zak :

This might be my favorite List chat question ever. You're right about the OUT / IN binary system: It is constraining. Life is about nuance, about gray areas (which we mention even in the intro to the List this year!). But with so much noise in the culture, sometimes it's useful to pare everything down. The purity of The List is its greatest trait. If we were to have two more columns -- say NEITHER or INNERINGLY IN -- well, let's just say that enough people have trouble with just the OUT and the IN.

– January 03, 2013 12:14 PM

Convection cooktops

Do convection cooktops need a downdraft?
Dan Zak :

I don't know, but now I want to write a screenplay called "Downdraft," starring Kurt Russell as a retired firefighter with Alzheimer's who always feels a chill in his nursing home dining area.

– January 03, 2013 12:17 PM
Monica Hesse :

* Costarring Tommy Lee Jones.

– January 03, 2013 12:17 PM

Clooney?

I've never understood why he is considered so hot. He's an overage Peter Pan who won't settle and he doesn't even look that good (and I don't think Brad Pitt is worth the drooling over either.)
Monica Hesse :

I was with you for the Clooney screed. I cannot get behind your Brad Pitt blindness.

– January 03, 2013 12:17 PM
Dan Zak :

Clooney throws his weight behind projects of substance. He is a decent actor and a better producer. Plus, he has the right attitude about being a celebrity and operating within the Hollywood bubble.

– January 03, 2013 12:17 PM

Costco

Dan said: " It took us forever to get to it. We could see it -- shining on a hill -- but couldn't find the access road. We eventually did, after driving halfway to the Beltway on Route 50. The employees are lovely, but I'm always on the verge of a panic attack in there. Plus, there was, like, a $25,000 ring in a display case right when you walk in. The place is confounding." Is it the vodka speaking or is that sarcasm?
Monica Hesse :

As someone who knows Dan well, I can affirm that that is Dan speaking.

– January 03, 2013 12:18 PM

Dig?!?

Monica: This word is very, very Out.
Monica Hesse :

Nuh-uh. Because I just used it. (So did the OP, which is why I repeated it. Ironically. Must I explain all of my jokes to you?)

– January 03, 2013 12:19 PM

Fame In Utero

Her Royal Fetus vs. Kimye's future spawn: Who wins in this playground brawl? (Blue Ivy will be above it all, of course.) Also, Dan Zak, you are my hero, and I would like to be friends with you.
Dan Zak :

I don't know what Kimye is and I don't care to find out. (I do know, but I want to pretend I don't; we shan't talk about It.)

The last and only heroic thing I did was scrub a pesky vodka stain out of a leather ottoman that didn't belong to me. It took four hours, and I had help, but by God I did it.

I will be friends with you. What do you like to do for fun?

– January 03, 2013 12:20 PM

Cheap Shots

What is the most low hanging fruit on the list?
Monica Hesse :

It should be different for everybody, if we've done our jobs right. Some of the fruit has already fallen off the tree and is lying on the ground, mouldering.

– January 03, 2013 12:20 PM
Dan Zak :

Notice how Monica uses the British spelling of "moldering."

– January 03, 2013 12:20 PM

"Your a moron"

Take it one step further and include the common misspellings of moron... "moran", "moroon", etc.
Monica Hesse :

Just once I would like someone to call me a maroon on a day when I'm wearing a festive new shade of lipstick.

– January 03, 2013 12:20 PM

Monica Hesse :

(I am communing with Her Royal Fetus. Or Foetus, as the case may be.)

Snow White

I was reading Snow White to my daughter, and what sort of prince would kiss a corpse on the lips with the hope of re-animating her?
Dan Zak :

A necrophiliac prince? Or Prince?

– January 03, 2013 12:21 PM

How I figure it

Lists of In and Out shall never be Out. By definition, if someone ever lists that Lists of Ins and Outs are Out, that is a List of Outs and thus the Lists remain In.
Dan Zak :

You, dearest chatter, are a genius. We will employ this adage against every critic.

– January 03, 2013 12:23 PM

Why do you think

people get so worked up about The List? I mean, it's funny and a sort of humor I think either you get or don't. But, some people have such fiery hatred for it. Good to see Hank on the Mockumentary...miss reading him!

He'll be back soon!

People take the List very personally. I think a lot of the "This List is stupid" emails that we get are actually saying, "This List makes me feel stupid, because I don't understand or agree with some of the items."

The secret is that you're not supposed to get some of the items. You're supposed to look them up, think about them, digest them. And -then- you're supposed to write us an email saying how dumb we are.

– January 03, 2013 12:24 PM

Culinary terms

Can we add some really obnoxious hipster-type culinary items to the Out list along with Iberico ham? Like Kale (I love me some kale, but seriously, EVERY restaurant needs a kale salad?) and the idiotic word 'foodie'? Blech. Even Sietsema has pretty much banned that one.
Dan Zak :

On our list of discarded items was Kale chips being OUT. But we couldn't find a good IN. Any suggestions? Also, foodies are insufferable. You're canning? You've got a terrifying "mother" Kombucha blob in your basement? Great. Get away from me.

– January 03, 2013 12:25 PM

(I do know, but I want to pretend I don't; we shan't talk about It.)

Sorry Monica, but Dan is my new favorite Post person because of this statement. Dan, can you please join Monica's weekly chats? XOXO.
Monica Hesse :

Fear not, I shall win you back over on Wednesday.

– January 03, 2013 12:26 PM

Hannibal Buress

I had never heard of Buress, but he reminds me a lot of Mitch Hedberg. As a fan of pickle juice (of COURSE you'd never throw it out, silly people), the concept of flicking it on sandwiches for flavor is fabulous. BTW, I've decided that asking questions in a Q&A is out, so, um, like, uh, yeah.
Dan Zak :

Buress was also a cameo master, as well as a writer, on "30 Rock." We think he does weary-man-in-contemporary-America with more verve than Louis CK, who lost our affection when he accepted his Emmys in September with grace and humility instead of with a satirical bow-and-arrow drawn at Hollywood.

– January 03, 2013 12:27 PM
Monica Hesse :

I have nothing to add other than that whenever we were despairing over the state of the List this year, Dan and I would immediately re-watch the pickle juice routine, sometimes followed by the Beast Jesus skit on SNL.

– January 03, 2013 12:27 PM

Brad Pitt

Looked waayyyy better when he was younger. George Clooney is at least still attractive.
Monica Hesse :

George Clooney looks like my dad. So I find the whole attraction rather creepy. (Yes. My dad is married. Back off, beasties).

– January 03, 2013 12:28 PM
Dan Zak :

THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE HEARD OF THIS. I'm getting Monica to show me a pic right now.

– January 03, 2013 12:28 PM

Costco and Mason Jars

1) Mr. Zak, I have it on good authority many, many people are hurt by your Costco listing. Maybe, if you had gone with an experienced Costco shopper, you would have had a better experience. 2) Mason Jars have been around a long time and are great alternatives to simple glassware - without them, we would have no jams, jellies, or moonshine... how can the goblets of moonshine every be out?
Dan Zak :

1) The phrase "experienced Costco shopper" is frightening.

2) True. But every restaurant has them now. Over it. (You know what I'm kinda wishing we'd say was IN instead of growlers? Sippy cups. I'd like sippy cups in every restaurant.)

– January 03, 2013 12:29 PM

Chinatown

Exactly how does one go about taking someone/something to Chinatown?
Monica Hesse :

It's on the green/red/yellow line. One stop after Metro Center.

– January 03, 2013 12:29 PM
Dan Zak :

Wait one sec. I'm going to find an indignant chatter on which to perform this act...

– January 03, 2013 12:29 PM

What's really out

What's out: trying too hard (e.g., continuing to publish an annual in/out list filled with we're-cooler-than-you ephemera)
Dan Zak :

And yet here you are, allotting precious minutes of your life to shooting a spitball at us. Lay down your sword of irritability and join us in the verdant fields of Listdom.

– January 03, 2013 12:29 PM

This Is No Laughing Matter

While Hannibal Buress is undeniably amazing (and at The Hamilton in Feb!), Louis CK is still at the top of his game. Couldn't you have found another comedian to take his space as OUT? On the other hand adding "Discovering Saga" got big ups from me. LOVE that book. Insanely great.
Monica Hesse :

The top of your game is often, sadly, precisely when you are OUT on our list.

– January 03, 2013 12:32 PM

Thomas Paine Quote

The person who left the comment about as long as there are cats, there are memes, attributed to Thomas Paine? I have totally stolen that. I just wanted him or her to know. ~Thomas Paine
Dan Zak :

Correction: This is now my favorite List chat contribution.

– January 03, 2013 12:32 PM
Monica Hesse :

The chat is young, Dan. Plenty of time for this one to be unseated.

– January 03, 2013 12:32 PM

Long live the list!

I for one do not want to live in a listless world. What was the item in the list that caused the most fighting/arm-wrestling/discussion in a mature fashion between you two?
Monica Hesse :

We originally had an item on our list that placed RGIII as OUT (Kurt Cousins: IN). We took turns talking ourselves in and out of that item for two weeks straight before finally deleting it and liberating ourselves from the anguish.

There are some items on the List that I know Dan allowed me to keep in only because he likes me, but I won't tell you what they are. (Guess!)

– January 03, 2013 12:34 PM
Dan Zak :

It pains that we have Bilbo Baggins IN. I dislike hobbits. But Monica convinced me that the aural combination of Honey Boo Boo / Bilbo Baggins was irresistable. I think one of my friends came up with that one though. The dark secret of the List: All the items come from coworkers and friends who are sharper than us.

– January 03, 2013 12:34 PM

Out

I'm not sure what would replace these items but agree/disagree that the following hot 2012 items are on their way out: GIFs, Public shaming of idiots/bigots on Twitter, Beard Rock (Mumford Sons, Avett Brothers, etc). Also, I'm glad I missed the whole Meggings trend and stuck with pants throughout 2012.
Dan Zak :

We were way early on calling GIFs OUT. We called them out two Lists ago, and they really hit big this year. Oops we're geniuses?

– January 03, 2013 12:35 PM

IN: Everyone else submitting questions

OUT: Me :(

I love you.

– January 03, 2013 12:37 PM

Weak, Dan. Weak.

– January 03, 2013 12:37 PM

Cards Against Humanity?

I'm still trying to learn how to play Munchkin
Dan Zak :

I kind of don't want to Google "Munchkin" because I'm afraid of what it might be.

– January 03, 2013 12:37 PM
Monica Hesse :

I'm kind of Googling Munchkin right now.

– January 03, 2013 12:37 PM

"Fiscal cliff" out...

...anything "..... cliff" in.

IN: Cliff Huxtable.

– January 03, 2013 12:38 PM
Monica Hesse :

But only in the right sweaters.

– January 03, 2013 12:38 PM

guys hair

shaved heads and long hair - there is like no in between anymore. Whats in and what's out?
Dan Zak :

Interesting observation. Guys (myself included) are really overdoing the long-on-top, short-on-the-sides look; I suppose we're trying to have the best of both worlds?

– January 03, 2013 12:38 PM

Out: Glasses, In: Contacts

Monica, were you wearing glasses in your old picture? I feel like something's missing in your new photo. You look gorgeous, by the way.
Dan Zak :

Monica is normally gorgeous, but she has an extra glow because she's fresh off a book leave, during which she was busy preparing to be The Next Big Thing in young-adult fiction. She might even make the List herself next year.

– January 03, 2013 12:40 PM
Monica Hesse :

My old picture is, and has been for quite some time, a hideous representation that is not at all what I look like. Normally this doesn't bother me, because I like getting emails that say, "You look like a Keebler Elf, Elf Girl," but since Dan looks so dashing, I thought I would actually provide a non-horrendous image.

– January 03, 2013 12:40 PM

Lifetime Award

What has been your favorite In/Out combo of all time?
Monica Hesse :

When we were going over old List in preparation for this year, we came across one Marc Fisher did in the mid 1990s.  OUT: Touched by an Angel. IN: Touched by Michael Jackson.

I don't think it's the best item ever, but it did make me burst out laughing unexpectedly.

It's really impossible to answer. Different items gain or lost resonance depending on what else is happening in the world. During Dan's and my reign, there is a special place in my heart for OUT: Inception IN: The fourth hour of the Today show.

If you don't get it, it's completely stupid. If you do get it, it's brilliantly hilarious.

– January 03, 2013 12:40 PM

Fisher also had an amazing final item on his his 1998 List:

/ Alzheimer's disease.

It had no OUT, purposefully! Very rebellious and controversial. I'll keep thinking. Y'all can plumb the archives by clicking on the drop-down menu on the List page. Let us know your all-time faves.

– January 03, 2013 12:40 PM

Dig never went out

as long as you never stopped using it.
Monica Hesse :

Say it with conviction, my brother.

– January 03, 2013 12:41 PM

Brad Pitt

He's like a poor woman's Jayson Werth.
Dan Zak :

Oh snap. By the way, Werth was IN on The List two years ago. More evidence that we're clairvoyant to a fault.

– January 03, 2013 12:43 PM

Noodling

Paul Ryan was a fan of hand-fishing. Is this more Lamestream Media political bias?
Monica Hesse :

I did not know Paul Ryan was a fan of hand-fishing. However, I am grateful for the opportunity to unintentionally support your distrust of the media.

– January 03, 2013 12:43 PM

Long on top and short on the sides

is one zip code away from a mullet.
Dan Zak :

Is it? Or is it, like, 15 to 20 zip codes away?

– January 03, 2013 12:43 PM
Monica Hesse :

It's in a different time zone, really. And there is no party, in the front or the back, affiliated with this haircut.

– January 03, 2013 12:43 PM

Cards Against Humanity

This has been in for a while. So much fun.
Dan Zak :

IN for you, maybe. Not IN for America. Get ready for some filthy fun, fellow citizens. You'll all be playing it by April.

– January 03, 2013 12:43 PM

Food Depot

Food Depot made the WaPo list of what's in. It's only located in Baltimore. Is it worth the trip from northern Va?
Dan Zak :

It better be. It's on The List for Pete's sake.

– January 03, 2013 12:46 PM

Re: That's the spirit. If you can't change people's grammar, just change grammar itself.

No! How else will I feel superior to complete strangers if you dumb down grammar?
Dan Zak :

Do an annual OUT/IN List.

– January 03, 2013 12:46 PM

Please explain Navel Life

Navel - Not a typo? I must be 'out'.
Monica Hesse :

Not a typo! Click on the clink!

– January 03, 2013 12:46 PM

Links?

I wish the list had included links or descriptions of all the pop culture stuff that I no longer know. Also, George Clooney will never be out.
Monica Hesse :

Are you kidding me? The online version of the List has links to practically every single item, which I know because Dan and I inserted them all with our own exhausted fingers. If there is an item that is not linked, and which you do not understand the reference to, please send me your address so that I may drive to your house with a printed out dossier explaining the IN-ness of said item. I will do that. I am that dedicated to your understanding.

– January 03, 2013 12:46 PM

Navel-gazing

So are innie bellybuttons in or out? What about outies? Apologies if you have addressed this critical issue in the past?
Dan Zak :

We have. Innies are always IN. Outties are always OUT.

– January 03, 2013 12:47 PM

Re: Clooney

I get that you think that Longoria is now celeb campaigner in chief, but that's just crazy talk. She may be more active, but she's a B-lister at best. It doesn't get much more A-list than Clooney; A+, actually.
Monica Hesse :

The celebvocate spectrum is entirely different than the fame spectrum. They inform each other a very minimal amount. People. This is Celebritology 101.

– January 03, 2013 12:49 PM

Ringing in the new year

You sing the praises of the accuracy of last year's List (well done); what item(s) on this year's list are you most nervous about being off the mark? Has the list ever been dead wrong before? P.S. The ring at the DC Costco is $125,00, not $25,000.
Dan Zak :

That ring! I mean who?! I mean what!? I can't process it and I'm breaking out in hives.

After offending all of Tumblr by calling Joseph Gordon-Levitt OUT, I am really hoping that Scoot McNairy has a good year.

It's impossible to tell if any List is dead-wrong, because any item may be proven true years down the line.

– January 03, 2013 12:49 PM
Monica Hesse :

We err on the side of belligerantly insisting we are right, even in the face of impossible odds.

– January 03, 2013 12:49 PM

List hatred

I think the reason for such impassioned reactions isn't just "this List makes me feel stupid," it's "this List makes me feel old." The List makes us feel un-with-it. And it makes even 23-year-olds feel that way. Or at least I imagine it does, since I am personally way, way on the other side of 23. Now you kids get off of my lawn.
Dan Zak :

But we like running through your sprinklers.

– January 03, 2013 12:50 PM

Lytro

Santa brought me a Lytro for Christmas. I'm very excited to be "in". And the camera is pretty darn cool too.
Monica Hesse :

I am so happy for you! For both reasons!

– January 03, 2013 12:51 PM

Help from your friends

I bet you guys collect a lot of OUTs from Heim.
Dan Zak :

Actually, we furnish half of our OUT column by just observing Joe operate in his day-today life. (Hey, who remembers when Heim and I were two-thirds of The Three Wise Guys? I was in my early 20s then.)

– January 03, 2013 12:51 PM

Not enough links

I'm sorry, but you don't have a link to "unripened green," just for starters. Monica, I'll be waiting in the driveway so you don't have to get out of your car.
Monica Hesse :

It's obvious that "unripened green" is a color, right? I mean, we're not talking "states of apple ripeness."

– January 03, 2013 12:52 PM
Dan Zak :

Google "emerald" and "Pantone." There. Happy?

– January 03, 2013 12:52 PM

The Middle Way

The New York Times Magazine has The Meh List every week with a bunch of items in that dull IN/OUT middle ground--eg, Office Secret Santa, unsalted peanuts.
Dan Zak :

If we had to add another column to our List, it would be titled MEH, and it would be filled, every year, with only The New York Times. I now await a call from our Personnel office instructing me to be more cordial to our competitiors. Did we mention that anything we type in this chat is not technically endorsed by The Washington Post?

– January 03, 2013 12:52 PM
Monica Hesse :

Dan loves all forms of all media, everywhere. Also, I have never met Dan, I do not know him, and I will disavow him if asked.

– January 03, 2013 12:52 PM

"...so that I may drive to your house with a printed out dossier explaining the IN-ness of said item. "

Monica, my dear, if you show up with a bottle of red wine and a riding crop -- oh wait, that's probably out, too.
Monica Hesse :

We already told you. Fifty Shades of Grey was 2012. Everyone needs new kinks for 2013.

– January 03, 2013 12:54 PM

Cost Co was Once In?

When was it popular to hoard like it was the apocalypse among a crowd of overweight people in sweatpants?
Monica Hesse :

It was very in for two groups of people. The first, which you described, and the second, which shopped there ironically.

Also, everyone from the Midwest, where I am from. Decent, attractive people who just want to buy 64 rolls of toilet paper at once.

– January 03, 2013 12:55 PM

Men's Hairstyles

Mullets, Mohawks, Soul patches, Van Dykes. Has there ever truly been an IN for men's hair?
Dan Zak :

The Jesse Katsopolis is always IN. Very Wham!-y.

– January 03, 2013 12:55 PM

Not about the list...

But since you've mentioned Hank, next time you see him, can you ask (beg?) him to do a follow-up on Christmas in Frisco? I just read Tinsel over the holidays and found myself worrying about the people he talked to as if they were lost relatives.
Dan Zak :

Hank has been gone for a long time, on leave in Montana, teaching journalism to the youths (read his blog for a recap). But he promises us that he'll be back in the newsroom by the end of the month. Speaking of Tinsel, y'all should read.

– January 03, 2013 12:55 PM

Recycling

My Ex - Still Out, or can he be recycled back to the In column?
Dan Zak :

Well, "getting back together" is IN, but your ex is kind of lame, right? Forget him.

– January 03, 2013 12:56 PM

In

Monica's new picture definitely in. Whoever took the old one clearly didn't like you can gave you bad lighting.
Dan Zak :

Wait til you see this photo of us and Bieber. Now if I can only figure out how to attach it...

– January 03, 2013 12:58 PM

Schrödinger's cat

In or out?
– January 03, 2013 12:58 PM

KONY?

out Kony 2012, In KONY 2013? Or is there another despot we can rally against?
Monica Hesse :

We did have a conversation about including Joseph Kony on one of our polls, but went with Pink Slime instead. (Insert obvious joke about pink slime being an improvement over Joseph Kony in every way).

– January 03, 2013 12:58 PM
Dan Zak :

We actually wanted to include "Texts from Hillary" instead of "Pink slime," but pulled that item because we weren't sure what was going on with her brain.

– January 03, 2013 12:58 PM

Grammar

Monica - Wasn't grammar a thread on your last 2012 chat? I also remember an argument over "Just Deserts" (yes, it is spelled correctly with one 's')
Monica Hesse :

I enjoy a good grammar thread as much as the next fun-loving girl.

– January 03, 2013 12:58 PM

you missed....

Out - buying toys for poor children In - sending toys to well-off children who went through a ver traumatic event, but toys won't help them get over the deaths of their friends and teachers And, yes, I am embarassed that it is true. I think the reports were that 60,000 toys were sent to Sandy Hook.
Monica Hesse :

Dan wrote an article on this very topic.

– January 03, 2013 1:00 PM

How do you know what's going to be in?

And what happens if you're wrong? Do you ever go back and say "I was wrong, mullets are still in somehow" or something l like that?
Monica Hesse :

We know what's going to be IN by emailing every smart person we have ever met, by harassing all of the cool people we know, by reading every magazine in Barnes & Noble, and by having deep, prolonged discussions about the matters of the universe.

As I mentioned before, we are never wrong.

– January 03, 2013 1:01 PM

Insects

I never got on the tofu train, but I've been eating bugs (albeit whilst aslumber) for years. What sort of condiments should I use for a better experience? Thanks for your help, A Curly Haired Astorian

Artisinal DDT.

– January 03, 2013 1:01 PM

Are you kidding me? The online version of the List has links to practically every single item,

Oh, whoops! Sorry--I read the online version, but it was just a list with no links. Will go back and look--clearly, I missed something.
Monica Hesse :

The items that are bold have links (A good 80% of the items are bold).

– January 03, 2013 1:02 PM

People. This is Celebritology 101.

Yes, but Jen has left the Post, so there's nobody to provide a basic Celebritology education.

This is true. Sigh.

– January 03, 2013 1:02 PM

Just FYI

A friend posted a link to the List on Facebook. So hopefully you'll go viral (is that phrase In or Out?).
Dan Zak :

"Viral" is not as OUT as "innovate" or "disrupt."

– January 03, 2013 1:02 PM

Monica Hesse :

Also: Is your friend George Clooney? Because that is probably the only way The List will go truly viral.

Re: Celebvocate spectrum

I stand by my Clooney > Longoria statement. I work for the USG, and I can tell you without a second's hesitation who would get more staff trading in favors like Kleenex in order to sit in on the meeting/hearing/event/whathaveyou.
Dan Zak :

Understood. Did we ever tell you about the time Brad Pitt visited the newsroom? It was an unseemly display of squeeness by some very hardened journalists.

– January 03, 2013 1:04 PM
Monica Hesse :

We were very professional. (I stood behind him in the elevator and touched his sleeve).

– January 03, 2013 1:04 PM

Cards Against Humanity

Thank you for including CAH. I bought them for my brother-in-law for Christmas. Even though I hadn’t heard of them prior to his request, seeing CAH on the IN list made me feel tangentially associated with cool, which is the closest we’ve been in years.

You are welcome.

– January 03, 2013 1:04 PM

Long Live Ethel

A dear friend of mine and decided that if Mayans are decidedly OUT, then this ushers IN an era of Mermania (and I ain't talkin' about manfish).
Dan Zak :

2013: This time, for MEEEEEEEE.

– January 03, 2013 1:05 PM

Costco

Why is that chain the go-to for membership club store references? No love for BJ's? There is always Sam's Club too. Or does that get into a Walmart/Tar-jay thing?
Monica Hesse :

Look, we can't re-invent the way things are. We just comment on what we see.

– January 03, 2013 1:06 PM

Out - The Federalist Papers

In - The Emancipation Proclamation
Dan Zak :

I feel like some hyper-conservative-media operative is setting us up with this one.

– January 03, 2013 1:06 PM
Monica Hesse :

Nah. It's just Daniel Day Lewis's publicist again. (We get it. Your boy will get an Oscar.)

– January 03, 2013 1:06 PM

"Frisco"

... is always OUT.

Okay!

– January 03, 2013 1:06 PM

Let's Ban Doing things For Irony

Can you please put "Doing things to be Ironic" on the outlist. Is there a more pointless and embarrassing reason to do anything? And I'm getting tired of people thinking I'm bring ironic when I'm not or think I'm wearing ironic t-shirts. when they're just regular t-shirts to me.
Monica Hesse :

It's so out that we don't even need to say its out. Obviously.

– January 03, 2013 1:07 PM
Dan Zak :

But is Monica being ironic with her answer?

– January 03, 2013 1:07 PM

No vodka in sippy cups!

But I think bourbon would be fine.
Dan Zak :

I prefer to drink my bourbon from a hollowed-out gourd.

– January 03, 2013 1:07 PM

Dan Zak :

We're wrapping up (with one more note from Monica forthcoming), but here is us "with" Bieber. May this image carry you through 2013. DZ, MH & JB

Monica Hesse :

Thank you for joining both of us in this highly informed forum. Want more of us? No? Too bad.

Dan and Monica are both on Twitter, and we also co-run Style's Tumblr.

Or, to berate us in person, come to the Newseum this Saturday at 2:30, when we'll be chatting live about the List.

And then we're done. Until next year.