November 5, 2010

A.M.

The Live Fix with Chris Cillizza

Host: Chris Cillizza

Chris Cillizza

Chris Cillizza is the managing editor of PostPolitics and he writes "The Fix," a politics blog for The Washington Post. He also covers the White House for the newspaper and website. Chris has appeared as a guest on NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, Fox News Channel and CNN to talk politics. He lives in Virginia with his wife and son.

The Fix
The Live Fix -- Q&A
Worst Week in Washington Live Video

Get your Friday Live Fix as Chris Cillizza discusses the Friday Line, the Worst Week in Washington, Congress, the Obama administration, the recent elections and all the latest political news.

Good morning everyone!

We are three days removed from a truly historic midterm election and one day away from Catholic U field hockey's conference championship game against the Juniata Eagles.

So, it's been a busy week in the Fix household. Let's get to it.

Bipartisanship.

Both sides are making the obligatory statements regarding bipartisanship and their willingness to work with the other party. But how is it possible when both of them seem to be defining bipartisanship "as our way or the high way"? Nobody is signaling any willingness to give-in on any of their cherished positions. Is this all just lip-service? Can anything be done in the next two years?
Chris Cillizza :

My guess is that on things like extending ear mark reform etc there will be some compromise.

On bigger issues though -- things like taxes and spending, healthcare etc -- it's hard for me to see any significant compromise being reached.

Republicans are, without doubt, emboldened by their gains on Tuesday and not likely to be willing to cut lots of deals with the White House.

President Obama, on the other hand, can't cut deals on major policy accomplishments like healthcare because he needs to run on those proposals in 2012.

So, my guess is gridlock. But I am willing to be surprised.

– November 05, 2010 11:03 AM

House Leadership

Chances of Pelosi resigning and Hoyer becoming the new Democratic House leader?

Somewhere less than 50-50

I think her interview with Huffington Post was a trial balloon to see whether her returning would be met with approval, disapproval or something in between by the caucus.

While Pelosi still has tons of support among the liberal end of the caucus and as a resuly can probably stay on in whatever position she wants, it is a fact that Republicans succeeded in lots and lots of districts of using Pelosi as a cudgel against moderate/conservative Democrats.

For those who survived the wave, they will be dedicated to doing anything and everything to get someone else other than Pelosi in.

– November 05, 2010 11:06 AM

Nancy Pelosi

You will miss me when I'm gone, true or false?

Chris Cillizza :

I think it's hard to argue against Pelosi's ability to keep her caucus in line behind President OBama's major legislative proposals.

And, she clearly has carved out a place in history as the first female Speaker of the House.

But, this election shaped up in many ways as a referendum on Pelosi -- and Obama -- and that may lead her to ultimately step aside for the greater good of the party.

– November 05, 2010 11:08 AM

Redistricting

Will you and your deputies be discussing and writing about the possible ramifications of redistricting in the weeks and months ahead?
Chris Cillizza :

FixAaron has you taken care of.

This post ran yesterday on the Fix.

– November 05, 2010 11:09 AM

Colorado Senate Race

Michael "Rocking the One T" Bennet has won. How did he do when just about every pundit was predicting his demise. Strength in the Denver suburbs? Strength among women & Hispanics? The flaws of his opponent?
Chris Cillizza :

Bennet's victory is a testament to the fact that candidates and the campaigns they run do matter.

Bennet and his team simply out-strategized Buck -- turning the race from a referendum on the Obama Administration and the economy into a choice between the incumbent and Buck.

Buck didn't help matters much with a series of impolitic statements particularly on social issues that allowed Democrats to cast him as too extreme for the (generally) socially moderate state.

If you are looking for the best campaign on the Democratic side, you need look no further than Colorado. The only competition? The brilliant race run by Harry Reid.

– November 05, 2010 11:12 AM

Bitter GOPers

Are there some in the GOP who are extremely bitter at Jim Demint and Sarah Palin for costing them the majority in the Senate?

Chris Cillizza :

yes. Those Republicans are called the "party establishment".

– November 05, 2010 11:12 AM

Philly Suburbs

Can you explain this area to me? It seems one of the true swing areas in the country, having put in a few Democrats in 2006, but voting them out in 2010.

It's a VERY swing area.

One thing that was fascinating to me in the Philly burbs: House Democrats -- Patrick Murphy, Bryan Lentz -- got drubbed but Joe Sestak did incredibly well.

Sestak deserves credit for finding way to overperform the House ticket; if you look at how downballot candidates did in the Philly area, it's amazing Sestak came as close to winning as he did.

– November 05, 2010 11:14 AM

Pat Quinn

Can you explain to me how Quinn pulled this thing off? Is it really so simple that he used social issues to keep suburban Cook County voters in line?
Chris Cillizza :

I genuinely can't. At least not yet.

It is stunning.  He did everything wrong from a campaign perspective.

The only thing that immediately jumps to mind if that Illinois is one of the more Democratic states in the country so Quinn benefited from that.

– November 05, 2010 11:15 AM

Alaska

I am not sure if Lisa Murkowski won or lost, but if she did win, would she be closely aligned with the republicans or is there enough bad blood between them to turn her into an independent? Thanks for taking my question.
Chris Cillizza :

She has repeatedly said she would caucus with Republicans if she wins as a write-in.

Barring some evidence to the contrary, I take her at her word.

– November 05, 2010 11:16 AM

Dino Rossi

Is this the end of the road for Rossi or is a run for Governor or Senator in 2012 a possibility? 4th times a charm!
Chris Cillizza :

Four strikes and you're out. Wait, that's not how that saying goes...

Rossi is done.

– November 05, 2010 11:16 AM

2006 Rematch

Are you looking at a rematch in Virginia in 2012 of the 2006 race between Jim Webb and George Allen?
Chris Cillizza :

I think Allen is in for sure.  I am less certain about Webb does. He has raised next to no money but given his unorthodox approach to politics, I am not sure that's evidence of anything except that he doesn't like raising money (who does!)

Allen, assuming he doesn't get primaried by the likes of Ken Cuccinelli, should be relatively formidable in 2012 against Webb or whoever Democrats nominate.

– November 05, 2010 11:18 AM

You Haven't Heard the Last Of...

Among the Democrats who lost, who do you think we'll be seeing again running for office down the line? Joe Sestak? Please say no more Alexi Giannoulias!
Chris Cillizza :

Giannoulias will absolutely run again. He's like 34 years old!

I could see Sestak running -- maybe for governor in 2014?

Maybe Kendrick Meek? I bet Cal Cunningham who lost a D primary for NC Senate will run again. Danny Tarkanian? Sue Lowden? I bet Bill White runs for the open Texas Senate seat in 2012.

Who else am I missing?

– November 05, 2010 11:19 AM

Russ Feingold

Do you think Herb Kohl retires and Russ Feingold runs for the seat against Paul Ryan in an all Janesville battle royale?

Could be.

Feingold clearly wants back in.  I think if Kohl does retire, Ryan is in the race the next day.

And a Feingold-Ryan race would be very interesting. Also think Ron Kind takes a look at running for Senate if it's open.

– November 05, 2010 11:21 AM

South Dakota

Stephanie Herseth Sandlin was considered a rising star for the Democrats. What happened? Do you see a political future for her?
Chris Cillizza :

She ran into a really bad year and a really good Republican candidate.

I always thought Herseth made a mistake by not running for governor this time around. She almost certainly would have lost given the nature of the cycle but she would have at least lost trying to move up.

Still, I assume she is back in the political mix sooner rather than later. Maybe a run for Senate if Tim Johnson doesn't seek reelection in 2014?  Or governor that same year.

– November 05, 2010 11:23 AM

New Democratic Leaders

Who will chair the DCCC? I think it will be Steve Israel or Debbie Wasserman Schultz. What about the DSCC? It seems to me that no one wants that job. Any chance of Schumer taking the helm again now that he won't be majority leader? 2012 is the first class of senate Democrats he helped elect after all.
Chris Cillizza :

I think either Israel or Wasserman Schultz is the next DCCC Chair. Van Hollen confirmed this am he's not going to do it for a third straight cycle.

On the Senate side, I always heard Mark Warner but he apparently doesn't want the gig -- understandable given the numbers (23 D seats are up to just 10 for R's).

Schumer would be everybody's preferred choice but I am not sure he wants to take that job on again after achieving unmitigated successes at the campaign committee in 2006 and 2008.

– November 05, 2010 11:25 AM

Quinn Wins

How did he win and Sexi Lexi lose?
Chris Cillizza :

See above. I genuinely don't know.

And, nice Sexy Lexi reference.

– November 05, 2010 11:26 AM

To Be the Man......

As Ric Flair would say......"to be the man......you have to beat the man...."

It's so very true.

– November 05, 2010 11:26 AM

Christine O'Donnell

Are you missing not hearing any news from Christine O'Donnell? And will you have your one question per chat about her for the rest of the Fix chat sessions
Chris Cillizza :

And the mandatory Christine O'Donnell quota has been met.

Also, Lady Gaga.

– November 05, 2010 11:26 AM

Maine

Some pundits have speculated about a possible primary challenge to Olympia Snowe in 2012, but do you have any ideas about who would be the candidate?
Chris Cillizza :

Well, the victory by Paul lePage -- a tea party candidate -- in the Maine GOP gov primary has to be worrisome to Snowe.

And, with LePage now the governor of the state, he could be in position to recruit someone more in line with him ideologically to run against Snowe.

She clearly has reason to worry.

– November 05, 2010 11:28 AM

woah

What are you doing here ? I though you were going to be off playing with mrs Fix and little Fix ? What gives ?

It's Friday!

Election was only three days ago.

I will disappear soon enough.  Like a thief in the night.

Will you miss me?

– November 05, 2010 11:29 AM

Intern-Fix

How do I make this happen?
Chris Cillizza :

Send me an email to chris.cillizza@wpost.com.

Make it:

1. Witty

2. Overly sycophantic

3. Larded with praise for Mrs. Fix who notched her 100th win as coach of the Catholic University field hockey program on Wednesday.

– November 05, 2010 11:31 AM

Palin's candidates

Isn't her candidate losing in Alaska a massive rejection of Palin by her home state? Some things are easy to predict, like South Carolina will lean conservative, Vermont will probably be liberal and Georgetown Basketball will probably lose a early game to a mid major school. Was her success in getting candidates on the ballot really more about how the mainstream candidates didn't take the primary serious until it was too late.
Chris Cillizza :

Man, great Hoya hoops reference. As long as we lose a game in the beginning of the season to a mid major rather than than in the last game of the year (damn you Ohio U -- alma mater of AP's Phil Elliott!) I will be fine.

As for Palin, I was a little bit surprised at some of the coverage portraying her as a big winner in Tuesdfay's election.

She was clearly a winner in the GOP primary season but the losses of Ken Buck, Sharron Angle, Christine O'Donnell and Joe Miller (probably) would seem to affirm concerns within the GOP establishment about nominating Palin in 2012.

– November 05, 2010 11:33 AM

Michele Bachman

What are the chances that Michele Bachman will replace Mike Pence as Conference Chair in the Leadership?
Chris Cillizza :

Not high. Remember this is an internal GOP conference vote. And Boehner, Cantor and Kevin McCarthy are all behind Jeb Hensarling

– November 05, 2010 11:33 AM

Best/Worst Senate campaigns

Chris, As far as competitive US Senate races go, who do you think ran the best campaign and still lost, and who do you think ran the worst campaign yet still managed to win? For the first part, I'd say Joe Sestak. He ran a strong campaign towards the end in a race he'd been trailing in for months and nearly managed to upset Pat Toomey in a terrible year for Democrats in PA. For the second part, I'd say Mark Kirk. Though he fundraised well and provided a moderate image to an otherwise conservative tidal wave, his statements regarding his war experience (or lack thereof) made him beatable. And though he did end up winning, he nearly lost to a guy who also had an ethical cloud over his head. Thanks, Adam, Concord, NH
Chris Cillizza :

I am still tabulating my Fix awards for best and worst campaigns.

But, I do think Bennet and Reid ran VERY good campaigns. And, Portman and Toomey were also outstanding.

Best campaign in a lose? I thought Ted Strickland did everything he could to win and came up short. I also thought Chris Dudley out in Oregon ran a good campaign in defeat.

– November 05, 2010 11:34 AM

Joe Sestak's future

What's next for Joe Sestak? Will he receive an Obama Administration appointment? Will Darrell Issa launch an investigation into whether Sestak was pressured to quit the Pennsylvania Democratic primary vs. Specter?
Chris Cillizza :

Not sure. Sestak's career in politics has been pretty unorthodox. I could see an Administration job. But also could see him running for governor in 2014. Or disappearing -- Fix style -- forever.

– November 05, 2010 11:36 AM

Joe Lieberman

Republican, independent, or retire? It feels like the Connecticut GOP actually has a bench to draw on -- Rob Simmons, for example -- so what does Joe do?

A GREAT question.

Seems to me Chris Murphy (D) is in. Susan Bysiewicz (D) is a maybe.

I am not sure Simmons does it. His "I'm in, I'm out, I'm in again" routine in this cycle's Senate race was odd and raises some questions about how serious he is.

If there are credible R and D candidates, it's virtually impossible for Lieberman to win. Not sure what he does but I am anxiously awaiting finding out.

– November 05, 2010 11:37 AM

Why Quinn won

He won because Brady was too right-wing, and Illinois has never gone for right-wingers in bigger offices.

Fair enough.

– November 05, 2010 11:38 AM

THE LADY GAGA QUOTA HAS ALREADY BEEN MET?!

Is she running in 2012?

Gaga ooh la la!

– November 05, 2010 11:38 AM

Paul Kane's Loyal Minions

It was good to chat with Kane on Wednesday. We've missed him. You should let him out of the basement more often to do chats on Congress, the Boss and the Phillies. You should . . . Release the KANE!!!!!!!
Chris Cillizza :

Kane is a secret chat weapon.

He is like Brian Wilson -- the Giant not the Beach Boy. I am trying to get him to grow a jet black beard for the start of the 112th Congress.

And, in an update, I have begun to weigh whether it makes sense to grow another primary beard for the 2012 Republican nomination fight.

– November 05, 2010 11:39 AM

Rick Perry

Seeing Rick Perry this week, do you think he could be potential VP pick for any of the main contenders in 2012?
Chris Cillizza :

Rick Perry doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants to be second fiddle to anyone.

I think he loves being governor of Texas.

– November 05, 2010 11:40 AM

RE:Intern-Fix

What would be the appopriate number of wrestling references you want included?

+/- 5.

– November 05, 2010 11:40 AM

"This election shaped up in many ways as (partly) as a referendum on Pelosi"

Why do you think that was the case? Most of the anti-Pelosi invective I heard from commentators and voters had the same sexist tone that was directed at Hillary Clinton in the 1990s.
Chris Cillizza :

Hundreds of Republican television ads featured Pelosi.

And, toeward the end of the campaign, Democrats in conservative districts were running from her like crazy.

Gene Taylor not only said he wouldn't support Pelosi but added that he had voted for McCain in 2008.

It still didn't work. He lost.

– November 05, 2010 11:41 AM

Scott McAdams' future?

Although Scott McAdams came in 3rd in the Alaska Senate race, I'm guessing that in a 2-man contest he might've won, but many of his potential voters wrote in Murkowski in order to prevent Joe Miller from winning. My question: Apparently Scott McAdams, despite his vote-count, made himself quite popular and better-known with Alaskans during the fall campaign. What do you foresee as his political future in Alaska?
Chris Cillizza :

Eh.  I am not so sure I agree with your analysis that he wins a two way race.

I think his showing proved that there just aren't that many Democrats in Alaska.

– November 05, 2010 11:42 AM

Why promote Hoyer?

If this is a referendum on Pelosi's leadership, isn't it also a referendum on the #2 leader?
Chris Cillizza :

Well, no one in the country knows who Hoyer is. Pelosi on the other hand became VERY high profile over the last two years -- and not in a good way for Democrats.

– November 05, 2010 11:42 AM

Giannoulias

How does Giannoulias overcome the honesty/trust issues because of his family's bank if he does run for things in the future?
Chris Cillizza :

People have very short memories in politics.

– November 05, 2010 11:43 AM

Open Senate Seat in Texas in 2012???

You said that Bill White could run for the open Senate seat in Texas in 2012. Are you saying you think Kay Bailey won't be running for re-election? What makes you think Kay Bailey won't run for re-election? She keeps saying she won run, but keeps breaking those promises to us folk down here in Texas.
Chris Cillizza :

KBH has already said publicly and repeatedly that she won't be running for reelection in 2012.

She had said previously she would resign no matter what happened in the March 2010 gubernatorial primary but went back on that pledge after Perry beat her.

Could she reconsider again? Anything's possible but I doubt it.

– November 05, 2010 11:43 AM

Chris Cillizza :

Music sidenote: listening to Old 97's new one. GOOD stuff. Love that Rhett Miller.

Sherrod Brown

How vulnerable is Sherrod Brown in Ohio in 2012?

Very. No, wait. VERY.

We will have our prelimary 2012 Line out on the Fix later today. Brown is on there...stay tuned to see where.

– November 05, 2010 11:44 AM

Most Ambitious

And the award for Most Ambitious Pol goes to.... Nebraska AG Jon Bruning for already setting up an exploratory committee for 2012!

LOVE it.

Bruning is in!

– November 05, 2010 11:46 AM

WILL YOU MISS ME?

We miss already, you knucklehead.
Chris Cillizza :

And I am not even gone yet!

Possible Fix 2011 occupations:

*roady for Elvis Perkins

* unofficial Catholic U field hockey assistant coach

* barista

* one of those snobby guys who works in a music store in NYC and refuses to speak to you when you ask where the "Justin Bieber" section is.

– November 05, 2010 11:48 AM

Bachelorette Parties

Are you available to perform at Bachelorette Parties?

Um...well...um...

– November 05, 2010 11:48 AM

Just keep focusing on Palin, lefties

Right up to the inauguration of Chris Christie & Marco Rubio on 1/20/13...featuring Secretary of State Dick Cheney.
Chris Cillizza :

Is this some sort of anti-Ned Flanders rhetoric? The Leftorium could have and should have succeeded dang it!

– November 05, 2010 11:49 AM

RE: Paul Kane

Maybe like Brian Wilson, you could get Paul Kane to get a mohawk
Chris Cillizza :

That would be worth seeing.

Also, if you haven't watched Brian Wilson on Jim Rome, you must do so now.

it's the best 7 minutes you will spend all day.

– November 05, 2010 11:51 AM

Rick Perry as VP?

Yeah, why would he take a demotion?
Chris Cillizza :

"I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could."

– November 05, 2010 11:52 AM

Raj Goyle

How'd he do?
– November 05, 2010 11:53 AM

Kansas 4th district

Mike Pompeo (R) 59%

Raj Goyle (D) 36%

There was no Fix bump.

– November 05, 2010 11:53 AM

Montana

Is it straight up Tester v. Rehberg in 2012? Or does Rehberg enjoy the House majority too much to leave?
Chris Cillizza :

I think Republicans would like it to be Rehberg. But even if it's not him, Montana's political composition is too good for the GOP for Tester not to get a serious challenge.

He made the Fix 2012 Senate Line....

– November 05, 2010 11:54 AM

The Leftorium

Homer saved the Leftorium

Bless him for it.

– November 05, 2010 11:54 AM

California AG PLEASE :-)

I know it's not a top of the ticket state race, but we're all super nerdy political junkies here, so don't tell me you haven't been following... Who pulls out the recount Cooley or Harris?
Chris Cillizza :

GOOD question that I don't know the answer to.

How about the special election to replace Gavin Newsom as mayor of San Francisco?

How's this for a float: Nancy Pelosi.

BOOM.

– November 05, 2010 11:55 AM

RE: BACHELORETTE PARTIES

How about serving as a barista at a bachelorette party wearing Aubrey Huff's red bejeweled Championship Thong?
Chris Cillizza :

Wow. I mean that is one way to quickly clear a room.

– November 05, 2010 11:56 AM

The Center

So now Tom Perriello, somebody who voted for the Stupak-Pitts amendment, is a liberal's liberal while Tom Coburn is an elder statemen rather then an Evangelical loon that he was in 2004 (I live in Oklahoma). I have admit that center has moved... Thanks a lot Beltway press!
Chris Cillizza :

Ah yes! The press did it!

– November 05, 2010 11:56 AM

C'mon Mr. Cillizza, you could at least wrote that Raj Goyle lost. It wasn't that close but it wasn't a blowout especially factoring in how Republican leaning Kansas' 4th congressional district has been recently as well as historically. State Sen. Goyle has made no mention publicly yet of his future plans to either continue or leave politics. See, was that so hard?

"Mr" Cillizza!

And, Raj, good to see you on the chat.

– November 05, 2010 11:57 AM

Fun fact of the day

If Barbara Mikulski stays in the Senate until March 14, 2012, she will become the longest serving female Senator in the history of the United States. Relevant to anything? Not really. But I wanted to share it anyway.

I like it!

Also, "Politics and Pints" -- our monthly trivia contest -- is next Monday at the Capitol Lounge on Capitol Hill. 7 pm.

We are looking for a big post election turnout. Be there!

– November 05, 2010 11:58 AM

RIP Sparky Anderson

A sports-reporter friend told me Sparky was simply one of the most wonderful guys in baseball, ever. Did you ever meet Sparky (or do you have colleagues who did)?
Chris Cillizza :

Never had the chance. But, a hero of mine -- Dan Patrick -- spoke eloquently about Sparky on the radio this am.

– November 05, 2010 11:58 AM

Dana Milbank

What does Dana Milbank think of your medioric success?
Andrea Caumont :

Is this a play on mediocre and meteoric?

– November 05, 2010 11:59 AM
Chris Cillizza :

As super-producer Andrea points out, is "medioric" a combination of "meteoric" and "mediocre"? If so, that is a very fitting way to describe my career ;)

– November 05, 2010 11:59 AM

RE: Mr Cillizza

I always thought we were suppose to say the Chris Cillizza
Chris Cillizza :

Call me whatever you like.  Just don't call me during a Catholic U field hockey game. Or when the Hoyas are playing. Or anytime between now and mid 2011.

– November 05, 2010 12:00 PM

That's a wrap!

Thanks for joining me. And make sure to check out the Fix later today for our first handicapping of the 2012 Senate playing field!

It's. Never. Too. Early.