May 29, 2013

Free Range on Food: Food clubs, Mark Bittman's "VB6" and more

Host: Joe Yonan

Joe Yonan

Joe Yonan is editor of the Food section; joining us today are deputy editor Bonnie Benwick, staff writer Tim Carman, Smoke Signals columnist Jim Shahin and editorial aide Becky Krystal.

Every Wednesday at noon, Food section staff members and guests answer your burning culinary questions.
Past Free Range on Food chats

Joe Yonan :

Greetings, all, and welcome to Free Range! Hope you enjoyed Bonnie's profiles of food clubs today; I don't know about you, but I have officially added smoked mozz, lemon and basil to my repertoire of pizza toppings. Wow. If you have a club of your own, please tell us about it!

And I had a fun day cooking vegan food w/Mark Bittman, and included that account in my Weeknight Veg column this week.

Got questions about those, or anything else? We're here to help.

And we'll have giveaway books to tempt you: "VB6" by Bittman, of course; and "Mad Hungry Cravings" by Lucinda Scala Quinn.

Let's do this!

Spicy Carrot and Asparagus Stir Fry - Yum

Hi Joe, thanks for the piece on Mark Bittman and VB6 today. Lucky you, shopping and cooking with Mark. I got up early to make soup before work, saw the article, and ended up making the carrot/asparagus stir fry for breakfast and it was delicious. FWIW, shiitakes are a good addition. I am not vegan nor even vegetarian but do strive to have veggies at every meal - keep the great veg-heavy stories coming!
Joe Yonan :

Glad you liked it! That was fast!

– May 29, 2013 11:59 AM

Ice cream recipes

We just got an ice cream maker and are eager to make our own. Do you have any recommendations for ice cream recipe books? David Lebovitz is on the list - any others? thanks!
Becky Krystal :

Yes! "Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home" is a winner. It's my go-to, anyway. Unlike Lebovitz, Jeni's ice creams don't have egg yolks, so you'll benefit from having the two perspectives. Here, by the way, is the profile our former colleague Jane Black did on Jeni Britton Bauer a few years ago.

We also have a variety of ice cream recipes in our database, including Caramelized White Chocolate Ice Cream from Lebovitz

Caramelized White Chocolate Ice Cream

and Cherry Pit Ice Cream from Britton Bauer.

Cherry Pit Ice Cream

– May 29, 2013 11:59 AM

Website

Where on wp website is recipe for lemon honey flavored chicken thighs. I have been searching wp website in vain for last 30minutes. Not impressed w website follow through . P e4 says go to wp recipes, but it is no where to be found. Hilary S
Bonnie Benwick :

Hilary, sorry to frustrate you! It's here: Lemon- and Honey-Flavored Chicken. Worth the fuss, though.

I think hyphens in the recipe name are to blame; the database site search is specific.

– May 29, 2013 12:01 PM

Half Gallon of Whole Milk

I accidentally bought a half gallon of whole milk. What should I do with it to use it up? I'm thinking dessert, but I don't like eggy desserts like bread pudding and my husband does not like rice pudding. Ice cream? Gelato? I want to use all of it up. Savory dish ideas are welcome too as long as they are vegetarian. Thanks!
Bonnie Benwick :

You could make ricotta (half our recipe/easy)! Or lots of crepes, which you could freeze.  You could make a few batches of bechamel and freeze them as well -- good to use as the base of gratins and in lasagnas. A nice potato or corn chowder. Or this chocolate budino

– May 29, 2013 12:01 PM

Thermapen

I've heard enough raving reviews from experienced cooks about the wonders of Thermapen to believe it's a good product, and I have certainly come to appreciate having a fast-responding, versatile and very accurate thermometer. But at almost $100, it seems pretty steep for an item I might use a couple times a month at best. Is there really no other decent option? Even for something between $50 to $75? (I disavow any knowledge of trying to stretch out my budget to also snag an ice cream maker. OK, fine, I'm totally trying to make birthday check from the in-laws stretch to get the two items, but I will accept your final ruling on the Thermapen.)
Bonnie Benwick :

Scan past Free Range chats and you'll see that we are on the Thermapen bandwagon here. So I guess it depends on how long you think you'll keep it.  It is sturdy, self-contained/all-in-one-piece. Friend of mine just picked up an OXO Good Grips digital/instant-read thermometer for $20 that seemed to handle standard functions well. I see it's gotten 50/50 reviews on Crate and Barrel's site. Chatters, which ones do you like?

– May 29, 2013 12:02 PM

Food processer

We are in the process of registering for our wedding and I would love for your feedback on food processors. I have a mini one that I use at least once a week for pesto, cauliflower pizza, and onions. Is there one you recommend or features you recommend looking for? Between this and a stand mixer, cooking is going to be a lot more fun!
Becky Krystal :

I have had a Cuisinart model (11 cups?) for a few years now. Love it. The dough blade and dough settings have proven worthwhile for me. I don't know how many retailers sell it as part of the package, but the model Costo is carrying also has a case that holds the blades and discs. That's nice. Not a deal-breaker for sure, though I would love to have it since mine are not so safely stowed wrapped in paper!

– May 29, 2013 12:07 PM

Uses for Creme Fraiche?

Hi, I enjoy your chats and hoping you can help. I sent my husband to the store for creme fraiche and he came home with a jar of Lemon Creme Fraiche (by The Devon Creme Co). Any ideas of what I can make with it?

Joe Yonan :

Roll it up in crepes with fresh strawberries! Or on biscuits. Or toast. Or use it to slather between layers of a sponge cake. Or just serve it with cookies and limoncello for dessert.

– May 29, 2013 12:07 PM
Bonnie Benwick :

The next time you're not in a rush for it, you can make your own creme fraiche: couple tablespoons of full-fat yogurt or buttermilk in a couple of cups of heavy cream. Stir and let it sit at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours. (Then refrigerate it.)

– May 29, 2013 12:07 PM

VB6 question

So, I'm all about Bittman and I love the VB6 idea in theory. Maybe I could stop eating yogurt for breakfast, even. But: here's the problem. I always bring dinner leftovers for lunch! How do I alter what I'm doing such that I don't have to go out for lunch every day (or buy extra groceries to make sandwiches and then end up throwing away leftovers)...but still make this work? Any ideas for me?
Joe Yonan :

The point of VB6, from what Bittman says, is to eat less meat and animal products, but to do it in a way that's easy for you. So, maybe you do a vegan dinner every other night, and take those leftovers to work for lunch the next day, and then that night you make something with meat/dairy, and bring that for lunch the next day, etc. Or you go vegan on the weekends -- or on Tuesdays, Wednesday, and Thursdays. Get the idea?

– May 29, 2013 12:07 PM

best pork sandwitch in Philadelphia

could you please recommend some favorites of yours? Thank you. Maria
Tim Carman :

A few years ago, a Post reporter did much of the work for us all and tasted around Philly for pork sandwiches. Among the places he hit, I would agree with DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market. Fabulous roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe and aged provolone. Mmm, I want one now.

– May 29, 2013 12:08 PM

bobotie!

Submitting early because of a work commitment ... I'm having some friends over next weekend and would love to serve bobotie, of which I'm immoderately fond. Two questions, though: one guest is gluten-sensitive; how much would it suffer if I left out the bread-and-milk? And can it be doubled without harm? Thanks so much.

Bonnie Benwick :

I think the curried meat mixture needs the panade action  (bread-milk mixture). I think you could use a good gluten-free bread, or maybe even make your own GF cornbread and use that. Doubled recipe: sure. Adjust cooking times....

– May 29, 2013 12:12 PM

VB6

Thank you for this! As longtime fans of Bittman (and friends of Dr. Sid) I am pleased that my husband is now motivated to try this approach to weight loss and more aware eating. But I am not an intuitive cook and need help with menu planning and recipes. (and I have to be careful not to lose weight in the process) Where do you recommend I look for ideas? (other than Joe's recipes)
Joe Yonan :

Well, Bittman does include a very helpful chapter on building-block recipes that you might appreciate. Things like Daily Salad Bowl, Daily Cooked Vegetables, Big Batch Rice and Grains, Big-Batch Beans, etc. (I actually have a chapter of these things in my next book, too -- along with recipes that use each one for quick weeknight meals.)

– May 29, 2013 12:12 PM

Meat substitutes

What are your thoughts on meat substitutes such as "Beyond Meat"
Joe Yonan :

I tried an early version of it last summer, and when it was cold, the texture was eerily similar to white meat chicken breast. When heated, it got a little mushy. Generally, I have very mixed feelings about mock meats. Personally, I don't crave them, and don't want/need something that reminds me of meat. And many of them are so highly processed, and I avoid that kind of food. But some people want training-wheels products to help them move past meat, and I get that. I'm just not one of them.

– May 29, 2013 12:14 PM

Herb Garden

For the second year in a row, my potted herbs don't seem to be doing well. I have tried and tried again to grow Basil in a medium-sized pot, but it doesn't seem to take. This year, my Thyme and Mint are doing better than before, and I was curious if there are any other forgiving herbs I could substitute for basil. I love using them to cook, so something that is versatile in the kitchen would be best, any ideas?
Becky Krystal :

Sorry about your basil! That's one of the things in my container garden I have always been able to rely on. I just planted some oregano and sage this past weekend, so too early to report on that. I have a potted rosemary I planted last year that made it through the winter and is continuing to go strong. I'd say that's a pretty good contender for being indestructible.

– May 29, 2013 12:14 PM
Bonnie Benwick :

Try anise hyssop! Tastes a tad like licorice, produces pretty pale purple flowers. You can use it in salads, to infuse teas and simple syrups, in a marinade for grilled veg or lamb, and in egg salad. I can attest to this. Or make this refreshing summer hors d'oeuvre.

– May 29, 2013 12:14 PM

Food Processor

I lovelovelove my Cuisinart, even if I blush to think how much my s/o spent on it for my pleasure. Seconds to complete vegetable pulverization! Perfectly smooth hummus in five minutes flat!
Becky Krystal :

For real. The baba ghanoush I made this weekend was worth the price of my processor.

– May 29, 2013 12:15 PM

smoked paprika

I bought a jar of smoked paprika at Trader Joe's--love their spices and prices!--bc I needed a tsp for a recipe. It smells divine, but I haven't cooked with it previously so I'm not sure where to include it. What are your favorite uses for this tempting item?
Joe Yonan :

Oh, man. What DON'T I put it on? That'd be a shorter list, possibly. I love it sprinkled on roasted vegetables, stirred into mayo for a great little sauce, on popcorn, on fried or roasted chickpeas or Marcona almonds, in Spanish tortilla, on anything I'm trying to make smoky without using a grill. Jim Shahin wrote a great column about using such ingredients. If you eat poultry, how bout Pimenton-Rubbed Roast Chicken?

– May 29, 2013 12:16 PM

Before six? Really?

Can you explain why you chose before 6 as your cut off? As I get a bit older (40s) I find that I am much more likely to be vegan or at least vegetarian after 6, not before. Week day breakfasts are almost always cereal and fruit with milk. It is just easier that way. Yes, I could use a vegan milk substitute, but I don't really see the point. And for lunch I'm usually packing carrots, an apple and a sandwich. Could I figure out a vegan sandwich? Yeah, I guess so. But it is going to be harder. Now, for dinner? Then it is much easier to be vegan or vegetarian, especially since I am getting home fairly late, so reheating something made over the weekend is preferred. Vegetable fist dishes are great for this. I have ratatouille and spicey cauliflower in the fridge now, but last night I was really lazy (and got home after 9:30 PM) so I just heated up some sauted mushrooms that were already there and had some marinated cukes on the side. Anyway, I am curious as to your thought process on making the most rushed meals vegan, not the one at the end of the day.
Joe Yonan :

Bittman chose 6 because he found dinner the meal most tempting in terms of eating meats, dairy products, alcohol, desserts, etc. So his idea is that you stay strict during the day and let loose (well, not really -- you still try to stay reasonable) at night. But again, he admits that the 6 p.m. marker is somewhat arbitrary, just in service of the idea that you eat much less meat/dairy in a way that's easy to remember and deal with.

– May 29, 2013 12:16 PM

Appetizer

I'm charged with bringing an appetizer to a small cookout, but I'm blanking on ideas other than dips. They're all adventurous eaters with no food restrictions, but I'd like to not have to buy too many specialty ingredients. It's also got to maintain its integrity for a short car ride and a couple of hours after. What do you think?
Bonnie Benwick :

In truth, I have slipped in a few suggestions that do call for a couple of "specialty ingredients." But that's only because they are worthy of your consideration.

Cheesy Spinach Balls

Grilled Spiced Olives

Lemon-Rosemary Pickled Green Beans

Roasted Tomato Bruschetta

Guacamole Eggs

Fig and Fennel Caponata

– May 29, 2013 12:17 PM

Birthday freebees

Ahead of my Monday birthday, I'm seeking fast-casual counter service places that give birthday treats. Not free dessert at a table-service dinner, but places such as Good Stuff, which gives a free birthday milkshake.
Tim Carman :

Well, I know Krispy Kreme gives away a free drink and doughnut on your birthday, but you have to register online first. Then again, you might recall what the judges said about Krispy Kreme during our ongoing Doughnut Wars!

...go online, get drink and free doughnut (soda and coffee)

– May 29, 2013 12:17 PM

recipe (and all other) WaPo slideshows

Please let the Web people know that when I click on a recipe in a slideshow, it would be nice to have the recipe open in a separate window. Right now clicking takes you to the recipe, and when clicking back to return to the slideshow the 20-ish-second commercial starts over again every.single.time. I've now ben conditioned to look through all the photos and then I go back to choose one or at the most two to click on to get the recipe.
Becky Krystal :

Thanks for mentioning this. We'll try to have the people who build those change how the links work.

– May 29, 2013 12:17 PM

Best Pork Sandwich in Philadelphia

John's Roast Pork Shack (Yes, it's a shack and an institution). It's a pretty far walk from Center City, so I'd take a cab. 14 E. SNYDER AVENUE, MON - FRI 6:45 AM - 3:00 PM, Saturdays 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Tim Carman :

Yes, it gets a lot of love from Philadelphians.

– May 29, 2013 12:17 PM

Yes Jeni's!

I second Jeni's as a must have ice cream book! I lived in Columbus for four years and fell in love. When I moved away I seriously considered getting pints shipped to me until she came out with her cookbook. The recipes really do mimic what she sells in her shops...amazing!

Yonan and Bittman

What a treat to read a story featuring the efforts of two of my favorite newspaper food writers! Seriously, I thought it was a great story and, although I'm not vegan, I would make either dish featured today, as they both sound delicious. I'm actually eating a lot less meat these days and often use it more as an accent, like a few crumbles of bacon to give a little smoky flavor to a soup (this is actually along the lines of Mark's story for the Times today, which I also enjoyed). I'm interested in his vegan book and particular whether he's found many worthwhile vegan desserts. From what I've seen, really great vegan desserts can be a challenge, since butter, cream and eggs are so essential to many sweet concoctions. I'd love to attempt a vegan chocolate mousse, for example, but haven't found the right recipe yet. Any suggestions?

Joe Yonan :

"VB6" includes no out-and-out desserts. Bittman writes, "I don't like fake desserts and I don't do them, and you probably have plenty of recipes for real ones already. My only suggestion is that you choose good-quality, preferably homemade, sweet treats -- or a piece of dark chocolate or caramel -- over a bag of supermarket cookies." That said, he does include a few tings in his Treats chapter that might qualify: vegan "creamsicles" that use silken tofu, OJ, sugar, and vanilla; chocolaty pineapple kebabs that are merely pineapple and cocoa powder; and frozen banana bonbons that are just bananas dipped in chocolate and frozen.

– May 29, 2013 12:21 PM

Finally getting a vitamix

which I've wanted for about 4 years. What are a couple of great recipes to start with. Bonus for things that will be coming into season in June and July.

Shrimp in Pumpkin Seed Sauce. dingdingding

– May 29, 2013 12:22 PM

canned salmon

Can you think of any uses for the salmon-y water in a can of (pink) salmon? I'm assuming it's full of nutrients. There's not enough to boil pasta or rice in. And it doesn't seem to work as, or in, salad dressing, even for salmon salad. The salmon itself makes a quick summer meal, no cooking required, so I stocked up at a recent sale. Thanks!
Bonnie Benwick :

Stumper! We asked FOF (Friend of Food) nutritionist Robyn Webb about this. "Getting a big boost in nutrients is not going to happen from the liquid," she says.  Furthermore, draining that liquid could reduce the amount of sodium you'll take in per serving....to be on the safe side, she reminds you to look for BPA-free cans and choose wild salmon that's packed with the skin and bones (which does augment the calcium content).

– May 29, 2013 12:22 PM

Bye bye to the oven (for the summer)

Joe, Why, oh why, did I just see your recipe for roasted vegetable and farro salad three weeks ago in a Free Range chat? It's delicious! The only problem is that with the coming heat, I won't be turning my oven on anytime soon. Thanks for the great recipe.

Joe Yonan :

Glad you like it! Here's a thought: If you have a grill, you could certainly use that for the veg here...

– May 29, 2013 12:23 PM

Cost of Thermapen

No doubt the Thermapen is expensive, but we've had ours for ten years and it's still working great...and still on the original battery.

The alligator

Picked up this kitchen gadget at a yard sale. It makes matchsticks, sort-of, from food -- Nothing very long. Then you can turn the matchsticks sideways and get an even mince. It doesn't work with tomatoes (squoosh!) and is so-so with onions, so won't really speed up my pico de gallo prep. Besides making tiny cheese cubes like the kind offered as samples at stores if you can manage to spear one with a toothpick, and maybe French fries, do you have any suggested uses? Thanks.
Tim Carman :

I've never used the Alligator, but it seems (at least the one you have) like the perfect piece of equipment to make julienned carrots and daikon radishes, which you could then quick pickle and use on sandwiches like a banh mi. Or on salads as a garnish. Sounds like you could even then dice the carrots to use in a soup. (God, I hate all the dicing involved in making carrot soup, but I love the results.)

– May 29, 2013 12:23 PM

VB6 lunch

For the person with the VB6 question: Make some things for dinner in which meat, poultry, cheese, etc., are add-in ingredients. Make a base of seasoned pasta or rice or quinoa or vegetables without them and set it aside for a lunch or two, and add what you want to the dinner portions. I'm thinking of something people do when cooking for picky eaters. The Dinner: A Love Story blog, for instance, talks about mixing and matching from a base ingredient.

Thanks!

– May 29, 2013 12:24 PM

VB6 and Leftovers

I have a similar philosophy as Bittman (vegetarian at home). What I do is cook vegetarian meals (mostly) when I am at home and then use them for leftovers. Then when I got out, I eat what I want. You can also make a big crockpot a vegan black beans and they freeze really well. I bring them for lunch with corn tortillas when I don't have leftovers.

VB6

A few years back I was vegan for over a year and a half, but reverted back to my omnivore ways because, lets be honest, I LOVE cheese and bacon. However, I have always felt a teensy bit guilty about it, especially when friends I haven't seen in a while say "wait, I thought you were vegan!" I think VB6 would be a great place to transition myself back into the vegan mindset! Any tips for easy, packable, vegan lunches? My breakfasts are already vegan (yay!) but lunch is a bit of a struggle. Thanks!
Joe Yonan :

Maybe it's because a previous chatter just mentioned it, but I love a grain salad. So easy to pack for lunch, and so easy to make (or keep) vegan.

– May 29, 2013 12:25 PM

Bittman

Loved the article with Mark Bittman. I'm vegan and use his recipe for gnocchi, which doesn't include eggs. I should make some this weekend with some ramp pesto I put in the freezer (got to preserve it while the bounty is here!) and an arugula salad -- my favorite salad greeen as well and we don't mix it with other greens either. The food section is the only section of the paper that I read cover to cover every week -- even the articles about meat. ;-) Thanks for the inspiration.

Question on VB6

Hi- Love the ideas of Bittman from your article. I am already a vegetarian (pescetarian to be exact) and eat a decent amount of fresh fruits and vegetables but am looking to get even healthier. What are the most important foods or "types of food" to cut out in the processed food department? I've had trouble sticking to things in the past- as he mentions counting calories can get tiresome, so I'm looking for some easy tricks to follow. thanks!
Joe Yonan :

Bittman's list of foods he suggests you limit:

Fast food.

Protein/granola or so-called diet bars.

Frozen meals.

Chips.

Packaged salty snacks.

Soda or sweetened beverages.

Packaged desserts.

Sugary cereal.

– May 29, 2013 12:27 PM

Belgian Pearl Sugar

Any ideas for what to do with pearl sugar other than making Lieges Waffles? I recently came into a giant bag of the sugar, and am looking for interesting ways to use it in addition to waffles.
Bonnie Benwick :

Hope other chatters will chime in. It'd be good on top of pies, cookies, sweet-ish breads and pastries. I might work it into a sweet/salty mixture of spiced nuts or sprinkle it over soft baked pretzels. Fun fact: Sometimes referred to as hail sugar! Can see why....

– May 29, 2013 12:29 PM

Re: Herb Garden

On why basil isn't doing well...I'm wondering if it was set outside too early. Basil doesn't like temps below 50-55 and at least this year we had those chilly nights last weekend. "Doesn't like" translates into stunted growth for rest of growing season (same can apply to tomatoes and other nightshade plants such as eggplants). Rule of thumb is to wait until May 15th or later to set these plants outside (and usually a good idea to harden gradually by setting out during day and taking in at night), though this rule didn't hold this year--date was later. Hope this helps!
Joe Yonan :

Yep, I'll second this. I planted some basil too early myself, and it suffered.

– May 29, 2013 12:30 PM

re: herb garden

Couple thoughts: be careful not to overwhelm the basil by transplanting it to too large a pot too soon. If you buy it in a 4-inch pot, for instance, leave it there until the roots start to peek from the bottom, then move it up to a 6-inch pot (8 inch at the most). If you want to use a larger pot for decorative reasons, try this: fill the larger pot with potting soil, then nestle two or three smaller pots in it. Cover the rims with potting soil. The trick is not to put the plant into a pot so large that it is drowning in wet soil every time you water. Overwatering is the most common cause of container plant failure. Also remember that basil (like tomatoes) dislikes cool night temperatures, so if you are in an area where the night temps are in the 50s, consider bringing it in at night until it gets warmer. Also be sure you are not over- or under-feeding. If you use a quality potting mix that has a slow-release fertilizer, you should be fine. Otherwise, try a slow-release, balanced fertilizer at the time of planting (a common brand is Osmocote, but that's not an endorsement). Balanced means the numbers of the three nutrients are the same (e.g., 10-10-10 or 14-14-14). FOLLOW the directions for volume/use. IN the end -- contact your local university extension office for the horticulture team. I am a master gardener, and MGs are available to help through extension offices around the country. We are volunteers, and we want to help.
Joe Yonan :

This is fantastic advice. Thanks so much.

– May 29, 2013 12:30 PM

baba ghanoush

Becky, please share your recipe. I love this stuff but mine never tastes anything like the restaurant versions.
Becky Krystal :

I should have known someone would ask! It's from the "Gourmet Today" cookbook I have at home. E-mail me (becky.krystal@washpost.com) or come back next week and I'll get you the recipe.

– May 29, 2013 12:31 PM

Ricotta Cheese

I didn't like what I found in the supermarket, and was making blintzes, and so - well, I just made it myself. It was SUPER easy!!!! And SO amazingly good. I can't even tell you how good it was. The issue is, though, that it calls for whole milk and cream. ---I've never seen it in the store with no fat, so I presume I would need *some* fat. Is it easy to sub 2% milk for the whole milk, and whole milk for the cream? would that work? Can I even put a little skim in there? (now, I need to start making yogurt again).
Tim Carman :

Whole milk, by definition, is milk with all its butterfat content (usually about 3.25 percent). You can make cheese with 2 percent milk, but most cheesemakers don't recommend it. You need the butterfat for the proper creamy texture. I  use creamline whole milk (the non-homogenized milk) for my fresh cheeses.

– May 29, 2013 12:31 PM

Thermapen

When my Thermapen broke, I bought a Taylor that has both a probe and a scan function. Not cheap, but less than the Thermapen and very fast.

Responding to Herb Garden:

Make sure you've got a sunny location for growing indoors.

summer foods

I for some reason agreed to host 6 other families at my house in a few weeks for dinner (I suppose I should feel on-trend! a dinner club!) and am now in a panic. I said I would do "summer foods" but I don't know what that means. Can you just serve a bunch of salads? I have a few vegetarians coming so then I thought, I could do Indian vegetarian foods. Would that work? Maybe something on the grill? I am kind of stumped. It's a lot of people! I need inspiration! And then I will pause to feel cool that I have a dinner club.

Bonnie Benwick :

No need to panic. As long as the bugs are kept at bay, people are naturally disposed to feeling happy and relaxed at a summer foods gathering, don't you think?

Bunch of salads has great possibilities. Kebabs come to mind; they are customizable and grill-friendly. You could make some ahead and let folks thread their own. Maybe start with a couple of blenders set up so people can do alcoholic/nonalcoholic icy things. Ice up some cooked shrimp. Make this quick-as-bob's-your-uncle catalan tomato bread on the grill -- nobody ever gets their fill of it. Pizza on the grill's quite doable, too;  search for toppings ideas here. (I'm still jonesing from hanging with the DC Elite Pizza guys.)

– May 29, 2013 12:33 PM

do you need the book?

Like, is the concept of VB6 what I already know about it (vegan much of the day, healthy, less meat, etc. Try to have a rule, long-term life plan, etc.) or do I need the book to fully appreciate the situation and/or b/c it has such useful recipes?
Joe Yonan :

I don't know what you know, or what you're trying to accomplish, but sounds like you have a good handle on things. Are you wanting motivation to make a change? If not, you probably are fine without it!

– May 29, 2013 12:33 PM

Vegan gripe and compliment

Hats off to Mark for promoting interesting and good vegan food! I was vegan for a long period of time, and still eat mostly vegan, with the inclusion of fish, and I feel like people have a difficult time of being creative with vegan food. A lot of site and books rely heavily on grains or making something taste like other things (cashews --> cheese). While I can appreciate both of those things, I think vegan food should focus on natural food, and not carbo loading!

Word.

– May 29, 2013 12:33 PM

Arugula

Oh, how I love it! But it needs a special salad dressing that I haven't yet discovered. Can you help?
Joe Yonan :

I disagree -- good old oil and vinegar or lemon juice and some salt will do the trick, when the arugula is good and fresh and peppery. But you can certainly make a vinaigrette with a garlic clove, teaspoon of Dijon mustard, teaspoon of honey, and 1/4 cup each of olive oil and red wine vinegar. (Yes, my vinaigrettes are 1/1 ratio of oil to vinegar, not the classic 3/1.)

– May 29, 2013 12:35 PM

canned salmon juice

Fish stock.

I respectfully disagree.

– May 29, 2013 12:35 PM
Tim Carman :

I second Joe's position. Just to give you a glimpse of what could be in the canned salmon juice, read this FAQ.

– May 29, 2013 12:35 PM

Salmon-y water

Pour it over the cat's food!
Joe Yonan :

Now THAT I can get behind. Have done it myself.

– May 29, 2013 12:35 PM

vegan/protein?

The one thing that struck me in the three recipes in the Bittman article, unless I missed it, there seemed to be no protein. I definitely do not think one needs protein in every dish or even at every meal, but that does seem to be a major thing that people would be looking for, especially in a transition to a more vegan diet (I throw beans on everything, but that's just me!)
Joe Yonan :

I know what you mean. I'm vegetarian, so I am always making sure I include protein in the form of cheese, nuts, certain grains, in every dish. But if you're vegan during the day and eating everything at night, it's not so important.

– May 29, 2013 12:36 PM

my CSA started yesterday

I'm so excited! Kale and lettuce and arugula and garlic. We got radishes. A lot of them. What to do with them except throw them in a salad? The kids pick them out that way.

Pickle them!

Here's a great recipe for Asian Pickled Carrots and Radishes, which you can use on roast pork, in tacos and even on salads.

– May 29, 2013 12:37 PM

Charcoal/gas grills

Hey guys, What is your opinion on dual function charcoal/gas grills? We want the ease of gas (occasionally) even though we prefer charcoal for the most part. Any brands to choose/avoid? Thanks!!
Jim Shahin :

Good question. Seems others are wondering, too. The question has been, if not exactly trending, then, what, fadding(?) on my radar recently.

I have not taken one for a test drive, but I can give you my impressions based on readings and conversations with bbq hounds.

They are pretty new and, like anything new, probably need to work out a few kinks. Like any grill, you'll get what you pay for. I was at a major chain outdoors store recently and checked out a cheap (about $350) combo grill that had a couple of nice features (adjustable shelves, for example) but was flimsy and did not have a firebox for true smoking.

On the other hand, Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet, which makes some of the best grills around, makes what is by all accounts a truly great hybrid. 'Course you are going to pay for it, to the tune of around $13,500. Still interested? Check out the K750HB Hybrid Fire Built-in Grill at http://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/hybrid-fire-grill/

I intend to visit the Kalamazoo factory next week and may be able to tell you a little more about it after that.

Back down to earth, there's the Coyote hybrid (also well made) for a measly $3,000.

Brinkmann and Char-Broil have manufactured hybrids, as well, but their gas burners are underpowered and their construction is less than great.

Until we know more, me, I'd go with one gas grill and one charcoal/wood.

– May 29, 2013 12:37 PM

re: being an intuitive cook

I used to be the same way, but some things that helped were: getting a subscription to Bon Appetit/Food & Wine, whatever suits your fancy, and scouring food blogs. I find that it helps reading posts from a cook or baker on the steps of making the food, how they thought of it, substitutions, etc.

Vegan frozen treats

I would love to have a "treat" kept in the freezer this summer for when I want sweets, but unfortunately dairy kills my stomach. Maybe a good recipe for sorbet? I can't think of anything other than frozen grapes, which are still good. :)
Becky Krystal :

We have a good number of sorbet recipes in our database (although at least one, oddly, has dairy, so watch out).

I also really liked this Strawberry-Rhubarb Sherbet I tested a few weeks ago.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Sherbet

– May 29, 2013 12:39 PM

"Pitted" vs. "unpitted"!

I recently came across a recipe for Cherry Clafouti that called for "unpitted cherries," which seemed odd to me, because why would anyone want to eat a dessert containing the pits? It finally occurred to me that night that by "unpitted" the recipe writer meant what we'd call "pitted" -- i.e., removing the pits first. Maybe a less ambiguous term would be "de-pitted"? This would be linguistically sort of like an "unboned" piece of meat, too, I'd guess.
Joe Yonan :

Nope, when they say unpitted, they mean not pitted. That's traditional in clafouti the French way. I'm not disagreeing with you about the lack of appeal in eating it this way, though.

– May 29, 2013 12:39 PM

re: smoked paprika

I have the same jar! The things I use it most on/in are to make sweet and spicy mixed nuts and in quesadillas.

Craving - Glass Noodles

Hello, back in the day...my husband was stationed in South Korea and I was allowed to go over and visit. One dish that I haven't been able to duplicate is the Chap Chae/Jap Chae or the Glass Noodle dish. I have finally found the sweet potato starch noodles...but I am stuck with the rest of the dish. Help please!
Becky Krystal :

Here's our recipe for Stir-Fried Glass Noodles With Beef and Spinach, a.k.a. chap chae.

Stir-Fried Glass Noodles With Beef and Spinach

And if you want more ways to use up those noodles, try Green Glass Noodles.

Green Glass Noodles

– May 29, 2013 12:39 PM

VB6 breakfast?

I generally try to limit my meat and dairy, but breakfast is the hardest meal for me to do that with. Aside from days when I have oatmeal, there's always some sort of dairy component. I'm unwilling to go to soy or some other dairy replacement - if I'm going to eat it, I want it to be the real thing. What are Bittman's basics for breakfast?
Joe Yonan :

He's got recipes for homemade cold cereal, fruit smoothie, banana parfaits, fruity nut butter, hot oatmeal, spiced apple jam (for toast), broiled nutty apples, tropical toast, reakfast pilaf, corny hoecakes, and more.

– May 29, 2013 12:39 PM

Food Clubs

I am SO JEALOUS of the DC Elite Pizza Club. I make pizza all the time and people say it's pretty good but I live in an apartment and don't have a way to make wood fired pizza. Can I still join the club??
Bonnie Benwick :

Word. This is the second consecutive summer I'll be whispering certain somethings in my husband's ear (backyard piZZA OVEN! NOW!) You can join, sort of. There were a few folks at the "meeting" (read: eating fest) who didn't have ovens; they were invited to check out how things work. There's no pressure that I could sense, or oneupmanship. Contact Dave Konstantin: dave@dcelitepizza.com.

– May 29, 2013 12:39 PM

VB6

Do you feel using vegan cheese would be contrary to the spirit of VB6, if not the letter? ("because it's well before 6, we won't be crumbling any feta into that mash.")

Joe Yonan :

To continue to channel Bittman, yeah, I do. I'm confident he would say just eat real cheese in smaller amounts during the non-vegan portion of your day!

– May 29, 2013 12:40 PM

re: half gallon whole milk

Give bread pudding another shot! I've made many a convert out of my "famous" caramelized pear and white chocolate bread pudding with whiskey sauce. You just gotta find a recipe and flavor combo that suits you, and invite people over because it is rich!
Becky Krystal :

Yowza. I have a feeling a chatter or two may request this recipe.

– May 29, 2013 12:40 PM

For " Half Gallon of Whole Milk"

Cream of (your choice of vegetable) Soup?

lunch food club

Great topic today! My coworkers and I have started a lunch food club. There is a group of four of us that love to cook and like the stay healthy. Twice a week, one person cooks/preps a big batch of lunch, enough to share, and then we rotate. It's a great way to try other food, easier on the wallet, and it means you're not stuck eating the same thing four days in a row.
Bonnie Benwick :

Get out w/your bad selves!

– May 29, 2013 12:40 PM

Appetizer's

You can grill ahead of time or finish it there take some diver scallops even better if you can get Wegman's fresh still shell scallops and grill. I wrap the schucked scallops in proscuitto and grill and brushing with a little olive oil. Now 60 to 90 secs a side dpeending on how hot the grill. In shell I julienne the proscuitto and sprinkle on the scallop still in the shell. A little fresh black pepper and you are good to go. I drizzle the scallop on the half shell with a little good olvie oil at it comes off the grill after approx 2 minutes. You do not want to overcook.

re: WaPo slideshows

I get around this by right clicking and opening a new tab with the recipe. But I agree, it's annoying.

RE: Ice cream maker question

Can you make ice cream with the lactose free milk (not soy, coconut or such)? I know cheese making with lactose free milk has issues. Is it the same for lactose free milk...most recipes call for heavy cream, which isn't lactose free.
Bonnie Benwick :

I see that people tend to use soy creamer or coconut milk instead of the heavy cream. Check out this thread from SeriousEats.com.

– May 29, 2013 12:43 PM

Clicking on recipes in slideshow

Do you know you can right click and open in new window or tab, or I can click the wheel on my mouse and my browser will open in a new tab
Becky Krystal :

That works too. There's also a way we can program the links to open in a new tab automatically, which appears to be the case on some but not all the galleries.

– May 29, 2013 12:43 PM

Vegan Dessert

Marcia Clarke in the NY Times did a chocolate mousse video just before Valentine's Day that was just chocolate and, if I remember right, water. Counterintuitive but it looked yummy.
Joe Yonan :

We were way ahead of her. Check out this Chocolate "Chantilly" from Andreas Viestad a few years ago. There's optional whipped cream on top, but the substance of the mousse is, yes, just water and chocolate.

– May 29, 2013 12:44 PM

Melissa Clark.

– May 29, 2013 12:44 PM

pasta

I'm going to try and make homemade pasta; never done so before. Every recipe I've read and every program I've watched has unbeaten eggs added to the well of flower and then mixed. Can the eggs be beaten in a bowl and then added? Seem a little more efficient. What Gives? Thanks!!!
Tim Carman :

Domenica Marchetti, author of "The Glorious Pasta of Italy" and amateur photographer who posts the most drool-worthy photos on Instagram, writes in:

Yes, absolutely you can beat the eggs first and then add them to the well. My guess is that breaking the eggs directly into the flour means one less bowl to wash. Once you become familiar with making pasta you'll see that breaking them right into the well is no big deal. Just poke the yolks with your fork and lightly whisk until the eggs are mixed. Then continue whisking gently, incorporating flour as you go.

– May 29, 2013 12:44 PM

Horse meat

Is there any chance that that could be in U.S. food?
Tim Carman :

It's highly unlikely. The United States doesn't import beef from European countries involved in the horse-meat scandal and the U.S. doesn't allow horses to be slaughtered for human consumption. Here's an FAQ on the matter.

– May 29, 2013 12:44 PM

HALF GALLON OF WHOLE MILK

You could, you know, *drink* it.

Ha! Why, yes you could!

Now that I'm thinking of it, you could also make a bechamel -- something I've been doing as a pizza base after reading Jim Lahey's take on that in his "My Pizza." I crumble up some dried mushrooms in it, and use it as the base of a mushroom pie. Pretty great.

– May 29, 2013 12:45 PM

Food calendar

I follow your events from out of town. It would be so nice to be able to click on a link and see things that are coming up a little farther out. Is that possible already from the website?
Becky Krystal :

Yes, we include a blurb at the end of the calendar directing folks to more food events, but here's the link for you.

– May 29, 2013 12:45 PM

Vegan Breakfast

I have toast with peanut butter every morning with the not-so-occasional sprinkle of raisins. I think that as long as your bread is vegan, you ought to be good to go! Regular toast doesn't always hold me all morning, but I have no problems with this arrangement.

pearl sugar

This is a major decorative component of Swedish baked goods--sprinkle on top before baking cinnamon buns (no frosting on the truly Swedish ones), coffee breads/cakes, muffins. Anywhere you want a bit of pretty but not a mess of goopy icing.

Herbs in spring

When herbs flower in spring, it is a great opportunity to add color and unique seasonal flavor to a dish. Sage blossoms and thin sliced new potatoes or oregano flowers and smoked chiles on a pizza, yellow arugula flowers in a salad, minced garlic scapes in potato salad or cole slaw...
Becky Krystal :

Great idea! When I was in Vancouver Island in the fall, we did a garden tour at the inn where we were staying and got to try a bunch of little flowers. They were a revelation. I'll have to experiment with mine.

– May 29, 2013 12:48 PM

Strawberry Pazzo Cake from last week

Any reason I couldn't double the cake recipe and bake in a 13x9 pan? And the chatter with the lemon creme fraiche could use it on this cake, with or without the minced herbs added.

Bonnie Benwick :

It ought to work;  the 13 x 9 holds a few more cups than you would need by doubling (6 cups in an 8 x 8; 14 cups in a 13 x 9) so perhaps your doubled cake would be a bit flatter. I'd check baking time 10 mins before the orig recipe said it'd be done. Two snaps up on the creme fraiche idea.

– May 29, 2013 12:48 PM

Question for the Producer

Do you know what's up with the Ask Tom chat? It cuts off after the 12th question even after I close all my browsers, reboot, refresh, etc. The number of questions at the top kept changing but the scroll bar didn't go past that 12th question. Thansks!
Becky Krystal :

We don't know, because there are separate folks who produce that. What browser were you using?

– May 29, 2013 12:48 PM

"famous" caramelized pear and white chocolate bread pudding with whiskey sauce

Recipe needed STAT. (Please.)

Told you.

– May 29, 2013 12:48 PM

re: radishes

Make some fish tacos and slice them really thin for extra crunch!

Way too many radishes?

Wash, de-stem, then grate them as you would carrots (I use a food processor when I have loads of them). Mound atop a lettuce leaf, dress with Blue Cheese or Roquefort or Gorgonzola salad dressing, top with a few turns of freshly cracked black pepper. Yummm!

Vegan frozen treats

Lemon Ice!!! (Other fruit ices, too, but lemon is SO-O-O-O refreshing on a hot sticky day).

Washington Post Cookbook

Any plans to have a digital version of this cookbook or perhaps an cookbook app?
Bonnie Benwick :

An app would be so great; nothing in the works right now. Here's a link for the ebook.

– May 29, 2013 12:51 PM

Favorite Zucchini Dish?

I live in the Southwest so summer is well underway, which means I've already hit six weeks of weekly zucchini pick ups from my CSA, and have several more months of this ahead of me. I love trying new, creative summer squash recipes and would love to hear what your favorite zucchini dish is. Thanks!
Tim Carman :

I would suggest this All-American Spice Rub Grilled Vegetable Ratatouille from the guys over at Pork Barrel BBQ. A great summer recipe. It can be eaten as a side or as a main with pasta.

– May 29, 2013 12:52 PM
Joe Yonan :

If you can wait until next week, we'll have a nice zucchini/grean bean salad recipe (uses a fantastic tahini dressing).

– May 29, 2013 12:52 PM

Vegan Breakfast

My breakfast of choice the past week has been homemade granola (oats, cashews, shredded young coconut, mixed raisins, almonds, dark brown sugar and honey mixed and toasted in a 250F oven with a bit of grapeseed oil) over fresh sliced strawberries. Delicious and hearty!

canned fish water

Fair enough on not using it. But taste aside, why would you feel okay eating the product but not ingesting the liquid it is packed in? If something's leaching, it's leaching into everything.
Tim Carman :

It's one thing to feel okay about eating a canned product (as in: it won't kill you) and another thing to recommend that you spread that flavor to other dishes and foods you might want to prepare.

– May 29, 2013 12:53 PM

Vegan breakfast

One of my late father's favorite breakfast treats was toast slathered with Trader Joe's almond butter and my homemade black raspberry jelly. He loved it, and he wasn't even trying to be vegetarian!

VB6

One thing I really like about Mark Bittman's cookbooks is the extensive discussion of alternatives. Start with one recipe, and then add notes on different spices to use for different types of cuisine. Does VB6 do this? Since all of the bookstores near my office closed, it takes me much longer to get around to browsing through books...
Joe Yonan :

He does offer options/substitutions in a lot of the recipes, but nothing like those grid-type approaches that I think you're talking about.

– May 29, 2013 12:54 PM

zucchini

I just bought a spiral slicer and use it to make zucchini "noodles." Then prepare in the same fashion you'd use spaghetti, linguine, etc. Delicious!

For the Summer Foods host...

I've been making a lot of Indian vegetarian food lately and highly recommend Manjula's Kitchen for simple recipes and easy to follow videos. Turns out my kids DO like spinach, when it is in the form of palak paneer.

Different Homemade Pasta Question

I've been put off from making my own pasta at home because I don't have a pasta roller. Obviously, people made pasta before these things existed, but do the Rangers have any tips for making excellent pasta at home without the gadgets?
Tim Carman :

I guess you could roll it out (repeatedly) with a rolling pin. But that would require a lot of arm work and a lot of time. Pasta rollers are not that expensive (I believe mine ran about $30 and I've had it for years). Besides, they're a lot of fun to play with.

– May 29, 2013 12:58 PM

nondairy, nonfruit "light" dessert

Any ideas for a cookie (or other dessert) that has a summer-type feel but does not include dairy or fruit? Need to bring it to a dinner to serve four. Alternative is something that can have a topping of the diner's choice, where dairy or fruit are among options but not the only option. Thanks!
Bonnie Benwick :

Too hard to decide between these, so I suggest making them both.

Oaxacan Chocolate Cookies.

Salted Oatmeal Cookies

– May 29, 2013 12:58 PM

Freezing bread pudding

I had a stale loaf of olive bread from Trader Joes. I soaked it in milk and eggs added mushrooms, leeks and cheese and had a great meal last night. However it made a LOT more than I anticipated. Can I freeze it? How? How would I reheat it?
Bonnie Benwick :

Freeze away, preferably in a disposable aluminum pan. Reheat tightly covered with alum foil, in a water bath / (hot water halfway up the sides of the pan) 350-degree oven till heated through.

– May 29, 2013 12:58 PM

Re: Question for the Producer

I'm using Internet Explorer. Thanks!
Becky Krystal :

Ah, OK. Yes, sometimes copying and pasting text can mess up the code and cause problems for IE users. The producer has tried reformatting the question and we're hoping it will upload correctly soon. In the meantime, if you have access to another browser, it should work there.

– May 29, 2013 12:59 PM

Zucchini

You can always make pickle relish with it. I just use my regular recipe, subbing zucchini for the cukes.

Baba ghanoush recipe - found it

Becky, Does this look familiar?

Becky Krystal :

No, that's not it. The recipe I'm talking about is for the traditional dip -- eggplant, tahini, garlic, lemon, salt. But this is intriguing!

– May 29, 2013 1:00 PM

Making cheese at home

I'd rather avoid using rennet formaking homemade cheeses. Is lemon juice just as good? If so, why isn't it used more for commercial production?
Tim Carman :

That's a complicated question with complicated answers. I'd direct you to this forum, which looks to have a lot of experienced cheesemakers.

– May 29, 2013 1:01 PM

Joe Yonan :

Well, you've applied the toppings, closed the lid, and cooked us until our crust becomes charred in spots, so you know what that means -- we're done!

Thanks for the great q's. Hope our a's were helpful.

Now for the giveaway books. The chatter who asked about how to do VB6 while eating dinner leftovers for lunch will get a copy of, natch, "VB6." The chatter who asked about what to do with that half-gallon of milk will get "Mad Hungry Cravings." Send your mailing info to Becky at becky.krystal@washpost.com, and she'll get them to you.

Until next time, happy cooking, eating, and reading.