November 4, 2011

Dana Milbank shows some leg

Host: Dana Milbank

Dana Milbank

Dana Milbank reviews the political theater of the nation's capital in his editorial-page column. His most recent book is "Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America;" his other books are "Homo Politicus" (Doubleday, 2008) and "Smashmouth" (Basic Books, 2001). Milbank joined The Post as a political reporter in 2000 and wrote the "Washington Sketch" column for nearly six years. He lives in Washington with his wife and daughter. • Dana Milbank Bio & Archive
Milbank Q&As

Dana Milbank Live is your weekly opportunity for a give and take with Dana centering on the latest political news in Washington and his recent columns.

Dana Milbank :

Good afternoon, dear readers.  Apologies (again) for the slow start.   I think it may have something to do with my circa 1995 laptop.  But, if you noticed today's Washington Post Co. earnings, this may not be the best time to be requesting new equipment.

Anyway, I assume you are all still with me in being active advocates for the Hermanator.  He is under siege this week and, though the brave people of Iowa have not yet turned against him, he definitely needs our help in keeping his candidacy going as long as possible.  Please send any suggestions my way, so I can share them with his campaign staff via this chat.

Questions?

PEARLS FOR SWINE

Do you think the Gingrich strategy of eatting as many McRibs as possible on the campaign trail will backfire or will it appeal to the common man who may have felt a bit offended by those stories about shopping sprees at Tiffanys ?
Dana Milbank :

McRibs are not a strategy for Newt.  They are a basic life need.

– November 04, 2011 12:06 PM

SEXY REPUBLICANS

What should we make of the fact that Herman Cain is rising in the polls after allegations of sexual harassment and wil Romney now follow his lead and start hitting on some of the white haired ladies supporting his campaign ?
Dana Milbank :

Well, I was with him in the New Hampshire diner that day when he leaped out in front of the jukebox, pretending the waitresses had pinched his behind.  I think we can expect more of this from everybody, but particularly Santorum.

– November 04, 2011 12:08 PM

Let them eat cake!

You were Marie Antoinette for Halloween right? That's my guess from last week's chat. The corset must have been uncomfortable...
Dana Milbank :

Now it can be told, and some of you were pretty darn close if not spot on with your guesses.    My wife was Dominique Strauss Kahn and I was the Sofitel maid, complete with French maid uniform, 5-inch heels, professional makeup and prosthetics.    If there is popular demand I might consider pasting in a photo here.  More likely there will be popular demand that I do not.

– November 04, 2011 12:10 PM

Columns on Codeine

I was curious watching Perry's NH speech if you've ever written a column under the influence of pain killers or other mind altering prescription drugs? "That's just awesome!"

Does Lipitor count?

– November 04, 2011 12:12 PM

Random Man!!

When House Speaker Boehner was asked about Grover Norquist's influence toward republicans, he dismissed it, calling Mr. Norquist just some 'random person'... How can a random person like myself also gain super 'random' power over politicians as Mr. Norquist has?
Dana Milbank :

You must become five feet tall and grow a beard.

– November 04, 2011 12:12 PM

Chuckie K

Has Charles K. finally/completely lost his mind? Now the Iraq war has been lost? When did that happen? What do you feed that man? Mind altering drugs?

Lipitor.

– November 04, 2011 12:15 PM

Innocnet of course

Hi Dana, The sexual harassment thing worked out so well for Clarence Thomas that I am wondering if the Hermanator made it all up just to help his chances with GOP base that seems to like that kind of thing. I heard he tried to get Anita Hill to accuse him, but she wasn't available is that true?
Dana Milbank :

Granting the interview to Ginni Thomas was just more Hermanator genius.

– November 04, 2011 12:16 PM

Think of the children?

Do these conservatives who disregard sexual harrassment have daughters? Are those daughters ever victims of workplace harrassment?
Dana Milbank :

At the risk of provoking a riot on this chat, why do you limit that to conservatives who disregard sexual harassment?

– November 04, 2011 12:18 PM

My wife was Dominique Strauss Kahn and I was the Sofitel maid

Was there a reenactment?
Dana Milbank :

That's where the prosthetics came in.

– November 04, 2011 12:19 PM

Fox and Fiends

The most interesting aspect of the L'Affaire Cain is the strength with which FOX is hammering him. Krauthammer has been almost ruthless in picking his performance apart. I was expecting an wagon circling but instead Fox is leaving Cain for dead. Is the GOP establishment seizing this change to rid themselves of this clown?
Dana Milbank :

Prolly.  Seems to me there was never going to be a Nominee Cain, no matter how high he rose in the polls.  What remains of the establishment and other sensible conservatives couldn't allow the election to be thrown away like that.   So this is as good an excuse as any, but it would have happened anyway.

– November 04, 2011 12:20 PM

Harassment charges

The people who believe such harassment exists probably weren't going to vote for the Hermanator anyway.
Dana Milbank :

Precisely.   Just like Obama, when asked in 2007 if his middle name would be a problem, said those people weren't going to vote for a Democrat anyway.

– November 04, 2011 12:21 PM

Yeaarrrrrgh!

I'm just waiting that kind of outburst-a-la-Howard Dean from Warren.
Dana Milbank :

I don't think she has enough mass to produce a sound like that.  But maybe after a few months of dinners on the campaign trail...

– November 04, 2011 12:23 PM

Low enthusiasm

Romney is still considered the likely Republican nominee, even though 75% of Republicans don't like him. Obama's approval ratings aren't too hot either among his progressive wing. How is it that in a nation of 300 million, we can't find even two people to get excited about?
Dana Milbank :

I get excited by many more than two people.  I suspect others do too.  We just can't agree on which ones to get excited about.   Suggestions?  (Other than Cain -- that's already assumed in this chat.)

– November 04, 2011 12:25 PM

Perry

What do you think caused Perry's different behavior last week? Do you think it was a substance, a concerted effort to be more energetic, or the real Perry being shown compared to a previously tired incarnation?
Dana Milbank :

Overadjustment of meds.   This happens whenever I go from 10mg of Lipitor to 15 mg.

– November 04, 2011 12:25 PM

popular demand

Please, may we see the photo????
Dana Milbank :

This lone request does not amount to popular demand.

– November 04, 2011 12:26 PM

"That's where the prosthetics came in."

Oh no you di-int ...!
Dana Milbank :

And this one nullifies the previous request.

– November 04, 2011 12:26 PM

I want to see your costume.

Is this enough demand? I really want to see it.
Dana Milbank :

I am now weighing this seriously with the producer of this chat.  It is in Haley Crum's capable hands.

– November 04, 2011 12:29 PM

The new Hermanator attack line

When did it become a crime in America to compliment a woman on her fine, luscious, drool-inspiring, hold-men-in-thrall...holy cow, did you see that?

Dana Milbank :

That's what I'm talking about!

– November 04, 2011 12:30 PM

Dangling Santorum

"I think we can expect more of this from everybody, but particularly Santorum." I'm not sure I understand your point. Are we expecting more Santorum from everyone?
Dana Milbank :

It wouldn't be a Friday chat without some disgusting Santorum allusion.  Is everybody enjoying lunch?  I'm skipping lunch; I've lost 10 pounds since I began thinking about Santorum.

– November 04, 2011 12:31 PM

Niccolo Obama

It's all well and good to act tough, but doesn't that imply that you have the means of carrying out your threats. What's Obama have to throw at anyone to get them to fall in line? He'll send a sumo wrestler to sit on them?
Dana Milbank :

Suddenly I am thinking of David Axelrod in a sumo outfit.  I think I will have no trouble losing 15 lbs.

– November 04, 2011 12:32 PM

You were Marie Antoinette for Halloween right?

No, that was me. But I said "let them eat pretzels!" I found out the masses don't want pretzels. They want candy, and lots of it.
Dana Milbank :

I did not see you, Marie, but I did dance with my new colleague Emily Heil, who was dressed as a chicken.  Her husband was the colonel.

– November 04, 2011 12:34 PM

Boise State

Hi Dana, Your response "there was never going to be a Nominee Cain, no matter how high he rose in the polls" made me think that Mr. Cain is the Boise State of the GOP. Don't they have a playoff system called the primaries that could give him a chance - with your support of course.

Dana Milbank :

Possibly, but in the coaches poll he would still not make the top 20.

– November 04, 2011 12:37 PM

the hermanator

what is up with your columns! If you're a Cain fan, then don't kick him when he's down!!!
Dana Milbank :

Yes, I was pondering this contradiction.   In my columns, I must deal with the world as it is.  In these chats, we can get together and conspire to create the ideal situation for my column, which is not the same thing as the ideal situation for the world.

– November 04, 2011 12:38 PM

Tim Pawlenty

How pathetic is he that he couldn't compete with these rejects?
Dana Milbank :

On the other hand, he kept some dignity.

– November 04, 2011 12:38 PM

get excited...

about gary johnson!!! or Buddy roemer (sp?)!!! AND THEY ARE BOTH RUNNING!
Dana Milbank :

Right. I think we are just not thinking broadly.

– November 04, 2011 12:43 PM

Boise State and the Blue Field

In a crazy world where Boise State could be joining the Big East, isn't anything possible re: Cain winning the nod from the GOPers? I don't know if you've been to Boise but it's in WESTERN Idaho. Maybe Cain just needs to move to a new conference.
Dana Milbank :

Another worthy suggestion for Mr. Block.

– November 04, 2011 12:44 PM

This week..

Michelle had the Iowa Hawkeyes move to Ames, IA. Isn't that the great thing about Republicans: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! Maybe if you just had a little mustard seed of faith, Milbank. Now the Iowa State Cyclones are being moved to Ann Arbor to accommodate. OK by you?
Dana Milbank :

Yes, I'm getting a lot of comments like this.  Maybe you are right and i am giving up too soon on our man.  I will try to have faith.

– November 04, 2011 12:44 PM

Dana Milbank :

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for.  Okay, so maybe two or three of you have been waiting for. My halloween costume:

Gingrich is creeping up in the polls

Please comment.
Dana Milbank :

I think he has been creeping for years.  I attribute this to McRibs.

– November 04, 2011 12:46 PM

Because the two people we're supposed to get excited about are politicians. Let's talk about what matters. Was Kris being paid to get married to Kim for a couple months as a PR stunt?
Dana Milbank :

I think if some of these Twilight vampires would get in the race there would be more excitement.  Certainly in my household.

– November 04, 2011 12:48 PM

Washington, DC

"I've lost 10 pounds since I began thinking about Santorum." So what you're saying is he's the perfect spokesperson for the First Lady's anti-obesity campaign? (No, I am not calling you fat.)
Dana Milbank :

It's okay, you can call me fat.  But I'm only 3 lbs from my target weight now, and thinking about Newt eating McRibs is going to get me across the finish line.

– November 04, 2011 12:49 PM

Do you think television's Mad Men

could benefit from a Herman Cain character? All the existing relationships would be thrown into a tizzy (or whatever they threw in NYC back in the '60s).
Dana Milbank :

It is one of many options for him, but I am taking the advice of many of you not to give up on him for the presidency.   I feel bad that I briefly gave in to my cynicism.  Yes he Cain!

– November 04, 2011 12:50 PM

Mr. Excitement.

Al Gore would whip the country into a frenzy.

Or at least a lather.

– November 04, 2011 12:50 PM

Are you going to..

the Defending the American Dream summit? Is the dream under the same existential threat that the "In God We Trust" religious observance is? But Christmas is safe, yes? Please?
Dana Milbank :

No. Christmas is definitely not safe.  But the threat does not begin until Bill O'Reilly says it has begun, usually after Thanksgiving.   He is sort of the Punxatawny Phil of Christmas alarms.

– November 04, 2011 12:53 PM

Washington, DC

"That's where the prosthetics came in." Way more than I ever wanted to know about your private life.
Dana Milbank :

Private?  There were 100s of witnesses.

– November 04, 2011 12:54 PM

Halloween Topic

Where is the rest of the picture? Nice legs....
Dana Milbank :

What, you thought I was going to end my career in this very web chat?

– November 04, 2011 12:54 PM

I'm not watching another debate until they put it in a better format. Like someone gets voted off each time.
Dana Milbank :

Or fed to vampires maybe.

– November 04, 2011 12:55 PM

Oh no. I just got an image of him appearing on some reality tv show next year.
Dana Milbank :

I love Dana Perino but I get the sense they're holding that 5 pm slot for Herman on Fox.   (But I know he won't take it -- because he'll be president!)

– November 04, 2011 12:55 PM

Cain Train

How is it that the Cain Train is getting more passengers following the reports of his indiscretions? Could it be that he's touched his followers?
Dana Milbank :

Excellent.  That bad pun is my sign that it is time to end this chat.  Thank you for being distasteful with me during your lunch hour.  Glad I could help so many people eat less today.   Speaka you next week.

– November 04, 2011 12:56 PM